The Beginning of the End for ICE?

kayurii

First Name
Kailyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
It would be a nice surprise to us if the battery gets 50% more miles! I hope that is the case too.
I'd probably be a bit annoyed is I got a '21 though and then that happened. We will find out soon I guess.
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I'd definitely buy a fully electrical Wrangler EV, if executed right. But I'd never buy a plug-in hybrid Wrangler. I hate unnecessary complexity from the late 90s early 00s era.

Modern EVs made hybrids obsolete. The only new hybrids coming to market(like the 4xe) were planned over 5 years ago before Tesla showed that EVs were more fun, more capable and *cheaper* (yes, cheaper) than an ICE vehicle with equivalent acceleration.

I'm going to hang on to my gasoline off-road and sports vehicles until a full EV can do their mission (rock crawling in the Northeast and 3 full track days on a weekend).
Iā€™m the opposite. My 4xe is near-perfect for me, and I wouldnā€™t at this point touch a full-EV Jeep.

90%+ of my driving is around town. I WFH and live in an urban/suburban area, so I donā€™t do a lot of miles on a daily basis. I almost never run out of juice. I do occasionally drive across the burbs and do a 75-100 mile day (I.e. been bringing my daughter to competitions around the burbs that tend to be 50 miles away) and so I dip into gas on those trips, but rarely.

However, another reason I bought the Jeep was because we have family property 350 miles away that I head to every month or two. This is in a fairly remote area, with limited charging, and half the time we go itā€™s very cold (hunting, snowmobiling) which really hurts battery range. So for me, while most of my life EV is fine, there is that 10% of the time I require gas. And thatā€™s non-negotiable for me.

I leased my 4xe, partly because I heard reliability horror stories, and partly because I was scared of obsolescence. I think even if Jeep doubled the 4xe mileage before my lease was up, if they made no other changes Iā€™d just buy my current one out because itā€™s basically perfect for me (assuming it stays reliable over the next 30 months).

I realize Iā€™m somewhat of an edge case with my low daily miles yet requirement to do 1k miles in a weekend frequently, but for me the 4xe works out perfectly.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

What's *really* going to cook some noodles is when we go full electric, with an individual motor at each wheel, it eliminates the need for axles entirely.

In fact, the whole bottom of the vehicle could be a slab - like a factory-provided full skid plate that's level with the bottom of the *frame* as opposed to having axles to worry about with clearance.

The #solidaxles4lyfe crew is going to crap a brick, but with individual motors, you could *simulate* a solid axle without having to clear one.

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I just talked to my sales guy and supposedly it is true. Nothing but hybrids for Europe because of the emission standards there.
I would venture a guess it's more due to lacking sales than emissions standards. If Chevy can sell C8 Corvettes with 500 hp and 670 hp V8 engines in Europe, Jeep can sell Wranglers with tiny 2.0L 4-cylinder engines.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hearing an ICE burble and roar can be symphonic.
One person's symphony is another person's noise.

I like V8s/V10s with well tuned, quiet exhaust notes. Simply divine. I don't think I'll miss most gas (and especially diesel) exhaust tunes. On most cars the majority of the noise is produced by tires anyway.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance

I like V8s/V10s with well tuned, quiet exhaust notes. Simply divine. I don't think I'll miss most gas (and especially diesel) exhaust tunes. On most cars the majority of the noise is produced by tires anyway.
My S2000 sounds fantastic when revā€™d out. My 2.0T in my Jeep soundsā€¦ not fantastic.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Iā€™ve often wondered if the Awful V6tt engines that sound SO BAD (looking at You Ford) are preparing for us to appreciate the silence of EVā€™s

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Since youā€™ve been living under a rock, the 4xe keeps its battery packs under the rear seat. Nothing is exposed below the vehicle.

In fact I canā€™t think of one modern electrified vehicle that has exposed batteries. Engineers tend to think about things like this when theyā€¦you knowā€¦engineer.
If you had actually comprehended what I said, I stated pure EV which is 100% electric vehicle which the 4XE isn't (hybrid) and as far all the design plans for the Tesla and even the Taycan go, the battery packs are built into the floor plan of the vehicles and early Teslas erupted in flames when road debris ripped through the undercarriage and into the battery packs. Unless Stellantis sciences a 300-400 range battery pack for a future pure EV Wrangler that can fit comfortably under the back seat rather than the 20mi ranger it is now, it'll be under your feet behind layers of metal that is going to be scrapped up, bashed against, submerged under water, dropped onto rocks and other debris, etc... that's all part of wheeling. Eventually something is going to make its way through.

I see Tesla changed their design into all titanium with aluminum shields, which protect the battery packs way better than early models but apparently traps tons of crude. So guess that answers that question, just having a thick titanium undercarriage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR

True... I don't mind a well tuned exhaust note as long as it isn't too obnoxious. The silence of electric doesn't bother me. Can't stand the fart can ricers around here though. Sound like hot garbage. Or the stupidly loud Harleys or sport bikes. There is a fine line between cool and being a douche....

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
The point is when people state they need a range of 500 miles, it is mostly BS for 99% of consumers. Typical person drives like 20 miles a day, if that.

I drive zero on week days as I take public transport.
On weekends I'll do a 200 - 300 mile return journey over the weekend.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Current electric vehicle range is adequate for 99% of consumers. The challenge is getting people to change their mindset. There is no need for 500 mile range.
300,000,000 people in this country. How does one person know how the other 297,000,000 feel about something? More importantly, why do you care? I donā€™t really care what you drive or what you prefer as a power plant.

Deleted member 59498

Earth will still be spinning around here when we are long gone. Irrelevant.

EVs are fine I am sure they will be the future, maybe we can build a few hundred Nuke Plants.

Maybe do an exhaust removal on my Diesel coming just because.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
I drive zero on week days as I take public transport.
On weekends I'll do a 200 - 300 mile return journey over the weekend.
Mine is WFH. I donā€™t drive during the week and my goal has been to bicycle or walk when at all possible for my health.
Sponsored