Sponsored

The Beginning of the End for ICE?

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Ok all the semi rigs, construction equipment, trains and commercial planes & boats ICE all gonna magically 'disappear'? There are a LOT more ICE than just passenger vehicles.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
It's just different rules for different market. ICE still has a long way to go. There are still tons and tons of large displacement V8 vehicles selling, and selling very well, all over the world.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
I like electric vehicle performance. I would be first in line if Jeep made a performance 4XE where it had the specs / performance of the 392. I could careless about range or even engine sound. If it could scoot to 60 in like 3.5-4 seconds I'd be happy.

Current electric vehicle range is adequate for 99% of consumers. The challenge is getting people to change their mindset. There is no need for 500 mile range.

ICE isn't going anywhere for commercial applications any time soon. I can see electric though for some applications like delivery in relatively small geographic area though.

We are a long way off from ICE vehicles being completely replaced, but we will see electric take over the consumer market within the next decade. Work trucks, etc will probably be the last to go but your typical commuter car will most certainly be electric or some sort of hybrid.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Current electric vehicle range is adequate for 99% of consumers. The challenge is getting people to change their mindset. There is no need for 500 mile range.
Spewing talking points like this really chaps my arse.
Don't presume to 'Tell Me' what I need/don't need.

madm73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Willys, 21 HD Pan America
ICE will always be around. Maybe the 1/2 the EU 1/2 Canada and metro US go EV. The rest of the world cant do it, and will never be able to. Unless aliens give us their technology.

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
All electric works for me, tired of ICE (the noise, the maintenance, the thousands of parts, the emissions....). Can't get there soon enough.
My father has driven a Tesla for the past 6 years and loves it. He says he'll never buy another ICE vehicle... although my mother drives a hybrid.

Personally, even though I'm an import buyer and I like electic vehicles, I'd like to own an American V8 while they're still being built... I had been looking at Mustang convertibles before ordering the Wrangler.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
Spewing talking points like this really chaps my arse.
Don't presume to 'Tell Me' what I need/don't need.
It isn't a talking point. It is a fact.

If you are part of the 1% that some how drives 300 miles a day, doesn't have a way to charge at home, takes frequent road trips with no charging stations available, or whatever the reason or excuse is why the 300 mile range doesn't work for you, then fine. Keep buying ICE.

To be clear, I don't support mandates and banning of ICE. I enjoy ICE vehicles.

The point is when people state they need a range of 500 miles, it is mostly BS for 99% of consumers. Typical person drives like 20 miles a day, if that. Even people that drive 100 have plenty of range.

There will always be exceptions to the rule and those people will continue to buy or need ICE for the foreseeable future.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I want an all electric Jeep or other electric cars for the fun of instant torque, one pedal driving, no engine noise. You will only understand that if you ever drive an EV.

Fuck the environment I don't care. I don't care if my EV's electricity come from slave goblin underground factory using the dirtiest coals.
The instant torque is like a carnival ride.... everybody who likes motors attached to wheels should like them... I bought an electric bike because it has a throttle on it... it's like a mix of a moped and bike... the first time I hit the accelerator in a Tesla in Ludicrous mode... I giggled.

I"m not saying it's better or worse than V8s, turbos, etc.... it's fun in it's own way.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I want an all electric Jeep or other electric cars for the fun of instant torque, one pedal driving, no engine noise. You will only understand that if you ever drive an EV.

Fuck the environment I don't care. I don't care if my EV's electricity come from slave goblin underground factory using the dirtiest coals.
I wanted a Jeep so that I can enjoy the environment, not fuck it.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Honestly, I think this is great. ICE's future is limited - that's not the question. The question is how long will it take. It could easily be 10+ more years in the U.S., but we're not the only market in the world.

If other markets want to take the lead, awesome - that'll only make it easier for them to switch to electric when the U.S. finally does mandate it, and will ensure that research into a better overall system continues to happen in the meantime.

I personally see zero downsides to this whatsoever.

Sponsored

tstevens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4XE Rubicon, 2023 JLU 392 XR
I like electric vehicle performance. I would be first in line if Jeep made a performance 4XE where it had the specs / performance of the 392. I could careless about range or even engine sound. If it could scoot to 60 in like 3.5-4 seconds I'd be happy.
I mean, the 4XE almost does at this point. Same torque number, 95 less hp.

4XE: 375hp, 470ft lb, 0-60 5.5 seconds
392: 470hp, 470ft lb, 0-60 4.2 seconds

Plus the extra benefits of being a PHEV where you can cruise around in full silence but have ICE take over if needed, pretty cool IMO. I do wish it had a smidge bigger battery.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
There needs to be a lot more infrastructure put in before I'd ever make the jump to EV. Gotta love the folks who come into these threads thinking they know what everyone else needs, just because you enjoy carrying a purse around doesn't mean other dudes want to.

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Firecracker Red, 2022 392 On Order
The '22 4xe's have double the range of the 21's.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
The instant torque is like a carnival ride.... everybody who likes motors attached to wheels should like them... I bought an electric bike because it has a throttle on it... it's like a mix of a moped and bike... the first time I hit the accelerator in a Tesla in Ludicrous mode... I giggled.

I"m not saying it's better or worse than V8s, turbos, etc.... it's fun in it's own way.
It is hard to explain it to people if they haven't experienced it.

With that said, electric cars have no soul. They lack character. To appliance like to some degree. As quick as they may be, you won't find youtube videos of nothing but car exhaust sounds like you can with ICE vehicles. Hearing an ICE burble and roar can be symphonic.

It will be interesting to see how electric changes motorsports. I race off road RC cars. Electric has significantly changed the hobby. The instant torque means in offroad, what was a double double for a ICE is now a quad for electric. Imagine in motocross application. No noise pollution also means some events can take place closer to cities or indoors without the smoke.

Plus the extra benefits of being a PHEV where you can cruise around in full silence but have ICE take over if needed, pretty cool IMO. I do wish it had a smidge bigger battery.
The torque is there. Maybe it is a gearing or ECU change. My vision would be using the electric kind of like a turbo for stupid acceleration if I wanted. Electric range would be nice for daily commuting without burning gas too. That would be best of both worlds.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase

This is the part I'm going to be peeved at. We just took delivery of our 4xe like two weeks ago. If they already come out with a bigger battery, I'm going to be upset. And that's on me, I get it, but still. I will be.
Sponsored