Sponsored

The bad part about a block heater, country living and mice...

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Caught one in there so far. I realized they had arrived because I could see small blue bits on the battery cover. While inspecting I saw the mice poop. About 8 years ago my 2012 developed issues and we discovered that the mice had nibbled wires. HOPEFULLY this does not occur again. Hence the war footing.
Jeep Wrangler JL The bad part about a block heater, country living and mice... 1637077240616
Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Does the nice, 24/7 warm engine block provide a Michelin-5-star nesting place to mice during winter--especially if one parks outdoors?

I've always thought that the engine block heater--which I always forget to order--would be a nice accessory in the dead of winter, but now I'm not so sure...

On the other hand, those living along the Canadian/US border, like in upper state NY, and above--where it gets REALLY COLD 🥶--probably correctly consider that daily use of the block heater during winter is more important than occasional rodents.

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the nice, 24/7 warm engine block provide a Michelin-5-star nesting place to mice during winter--especially if one parks outdoors?

I've always thought that the engine block heater--which I always forget to order--would be a nice accessory in the dead of winter, but now I'm not so sure...

On the other hand, those living along the Canadian/US border, like in upper state NY, and above--where it gets REALLY COLD 🥶--probably correctly consider that daily use of the block heater during winter is more important than occasional rodents.
Just a small note: I only have it kick on 3 hours B4 drive time of 5AM. And having a diesel, I do deem it necessary in NW Iowa ;)

Sponsored

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
You're in Iowa, why is a block heater needed? We don't even plug in our semi trucks til around 10+ and they sit outside.

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're in Iowa, why is a block heater needed? We don't even plug in our semi trucks til around 10+ and they sit outside.
In another thread I have given some examples of temps at around 25-30 (nothing colder here yet) degrees and the coolant/oil temps when plugged in vs not plugged in. I see no reason NOT to have my fluids warmer when I start the engine. Granted plugged in at 25-30 is not needed but... Well, I guess the mice are a good reason not to plug in! IF there is another negative consequence to warmer temps at start-up I would be willing to reconsider. UPPDATE post #16-Timer for Engine Block Heater so as not to waste electricity | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Even though my JLU lives in a garage, I ticked that particular option box. Why not, I thought.

For a little while, a neighborhood cat or two would shimmy up on to the still-warm valve cover of Offspring's Honda during winter evenings. They were always gone in the mornings -- I'd check -- but it was just the cost of doing business since that vehicle had to park on the driveway. No damage ever observed, just paw prints on the plastic trim pieces.
Sponsored