Sponsored

Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Myself I got a set of these a couple of months ago. Used to have no lift on my Sport at a time. Although, I am running a set of Fox shocks for 0-1.5" lift with declared travel of 9.1". According to "DO NOT USE WITH LONGER THAN 8.5" STROKE SHOCKS" on Apex website, I chose a longer - 10.5" - version. Obviously, those didn't fit at all. Nearly no clearance on fender liner instead of desired huge travel they suggest. In our email thread with guys from Apex they seemed a little astounded and an only suggestion was to add at least 2" of bump stop extension. It was not an option, as would limit the free travel of axle to a 0 distance between the plastic bump stop and extension...

Attempt No.2 included new Rubicon springs and 0.5" levelling spacers with long Teraflex bump stops. Conlusion: daily rides are fine. With links engaged and flex limited by the sway bar, it's just ok. But with links disengaged, bump stops get fully compressed, and top of the link push against fender liner and something behind it. After small investigation, I discovered this something is the radiator of my LED headlight.

Conclusion:
The only solution to run these is to have a long and firm bump stop extension mounted on the axle. But, likely, there still can be some issues, as with lesser lift you have to expose more of link body on top of it. The design seems to be somewhat poor. Some of indicated positions you can adjust to on the longer version of it may be no usable at all.

On the other hand, I should admit that build quality is superb, and likely those with at least 2" lifts would enjoy these for a long time.
Are you sure you're getting 9.1" of shock travel? Some of the 0-1.5" Fox shocks will compress beyond the suspension's limits.

For example: the 2.5 Remote Reservoir 0-1.5" shock has a compressed length of 15.87", but the OEM bump stops are fully compressed at 16.25". This means that you would really only have 8.72" of travel, which is probably close enough to 8.5" (I guess you could always extend the bump stops 1/2" to be safe).

Does the Autolynx actually have 8.5"/10.5" of travel, or does it partially relying on some swaybar flex for their quoted numbers?
Sponsored

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
I’ve had mine on for awhile now. I have the 2” Mopar lift. I set my 10.5” at 8” and it seems to work great. No massage of fender liner was needed. So easy to disconnect and reconnect.

I highly recommend them.

My buddy is going to try to get them onto his lifted ZJ.

this the only flex shot I have.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 52D6D31A-F485-4D72-BF32-FBA3CB6289E4

toppper

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport '18, Jeep Renegade '19
Are you sure you're getting 9.1" of shock travel? Some of the 0-1.5" Fox shocks will compress beyond the suspension's limits.

For example: the 2.5 Remote Reservoir 0-1.5" shock has a compressed length of 15.87", but the OEM bump stops are fully compressed at 16.25". This means that you would really only have 8.72" of travel, which is probably close enough to 8.5" (I guess you could always extend the bump stops 1/2" to be safe).

Does the Autolynx actually have 8.5"/10.5" of travel, or does it partially relying on some swaybar flex for their quoted numbers?
Myself I have not tried to measure the travel of links

And at first I was wrong about 9.1 travel of Fox shocks. It's actually 9.6. Here is what Fox declares:
Extended25.850
Compressed16.250
Travel9.600

So, clearly beyond notice on 8.5" max stroke. Although, I assume, they mention stroke limitation to avoid THEIR OWN problems. If you have shocks which do not limit travel while AutoLYNX does - likely you will end up tearing some of it's bushings. So, that's the way to avoid complaints on their end. And there is no information about what to do if you have short (no-lift) yet large-travel shocks.

Besides that, doesn't it seem that trimming instructions (which came in when I was already waiting for the shipment to come to Ukraine) were also an afterthought? Exposing hood components to extra elements like that does not feel legit to me. Although, it seems that this product is not just for everybody. For those it fits, it's great!

Knel6

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Clubs

I have been email with Apex regarding similar question with respect to link length, shock travel, and potential lift. For what it’s worth here was the response I received. If you have specific questions Apex has been quick to respond to a few questions I have sent their way.

“If your shock travel is close to 8" the 8" links will still work great. Say if you have a 9" travel shock with the 8" link you will get articulation till the link is fully extended and then the swaybar starts to flex a little bit for the last inch of shock travel. So if you add lift height but your shock travel is still in an inch or 1.5" from 8" I think you will still be happy with the performance.”

Myself I have not tried to measure the travel of links

And at first I was wrong about 9.1 travel of Fox shocks. It's actually 9.6. Here is what Fox declares:
Extended25.850
Compressed16.250
Travel9.600

So, clearly beyond notice on 8.5" max stroke. Although, I assume, they mention stroke limitation to avoid THEIR OWN problems. If you have shocks which do not limit travel while AutoLYNX does - likely you will end up tearing some of it's bushings. So, that's the way to avoid complaints on their end. And there is no information about what to do if you have short (no-lift) yet large-travel shocks.

Besides that, doesn't it seem that trimming instructions (which came in when I was already waiting for the shipment to come to Ukraine) were also an afterthought? Exposing hood components to extra elements like that does not feel legit to me. Although, it seems that this product is not just for everybody. For those it fits, it's great!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have been email with Apex regarding similar question with respect to link length, shock travel, and potential lift. For what it’s worth here was the response I received. If you have specific questions Apex has been quick to respond to a few questions I have sent their way.

“If your shock travel is close to 8" the 8" links will still work great. Say if you have a 9" travel shock with the 8" link you will get articulation till the link is fully extended and then the swaybar starts to flex a little bit for the last inch of shock travel. So if you add lift height but your shock travel is still in an inch or 1.5" from 8" I think you will still be happy with the performance.”
This means that you can probably get away with huge shock travel numbers with the 8" on a Rubicon.

Sponsored

toppper

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport '18, Jeep Renegade '19

I have not been cautious enough to ask first. Kind not my way :D Just followed the notice about <= 8.5" stroke for 8" links.

I have just seen one more guy with Sport on Rubicon springs and 10.5 links ordered, so decided to step in ;)

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
Just installed the shorter version of the APEX Autolynx on our Sport S (stock suspension) yesterday. Very straightforward install, didn't need to jack the vehicle up or take off the wheels. Plan on eventually installing Fox 2.0 shocks, when they're available again. Did a little 3" bunny flex after the install, just to see how they work. Super easy to connect/disconnect. Seem to be very well made. Will be interested in seeing how well they hold up to Illinois road salt next winter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 52D6D31A-F485-4D72-BF32-FBA3CB6289E4

Best,
-Tim
You will be happy with them for years to come.

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
The JKS discos are perfect and takes less than a minute to disconnect. Keep in mind you can drive disconnected no problem on any conditions as long as you don't take any fast turns. You get to the trails, you disconnect. You get out, you re-connect. And you get to keep on-road manners stock.

Reconnecting is really easy too. You can drive the Jeep on the road, it is fine, until you find a flat spot to reconnect.

There are no downsides to it. And you can always jack one side of the axle a little bit to line them up in case you truly need to reconnect on a sport that's not perfectly flat. But again, you can drive with the sway bar disconnected for a bit, it is fine.

These clever but overly complicated options, including the JLR electronic disconnect are a waste of money imo. K.I.S.S.
You are not a smart fella. The Apex Autolynx is faster and better then any disconnect ever to come to the off road market. There is nothing complicated about the links. It’s a simple bolt on requires no lubrication like jks links.. doesn’t require you to do anything but twist a knob.. you shouldn’t be using a I single speed bicycle since it’s likely more your speed.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You are not a smart fella. The Apex Autolynx is faster and better then any disconnect ever to come to the off road market. There is nothing complicated about the links. It’s a simple bolt on requires no lubrication like jks links.. doesn’t require you to do anything but twist a knob.. you shouldn’t be using a I single speed bicycle since it’s likely more your speed.
Quick discos are a single link. cost me $150 and 10 minutes of my time to install. A few seconds to disconnect a few seconds to reconnect. They get greased while I wait for my oil to drain out of the engine. I can spend the rest of the money on better mods. And if they ever need to be replaced it is cheap and easy. And I dont have to set shit, or measure how much flex I get, because I know my sway bar is fully disconnected.

Last edited:

FFM069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Hi everyone

I’ve been looking at these Apex discos for a while now. I am still undecided on those, the Antirock and the ORO SwayLoc.
Money isn’t the deciding factor, I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

I drive a Sahara with a 2.5 inch Rubicon Express lift with Bilstein 5100s and 33s.

Since this is my daily driver, I’m afraid the Antirock is too much on the highway and I also hear mixed things about the SwayLoc.

Would the Apex one rub on my inner fender liner, and if yes how bad would it be. I’ve seen folks cutting holes in their fender liners which is what I’m trying to avoid.

Anyway, I guess the major question is what would you guys recommend for my application?

Everyone’s input is appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored

kantho

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 door with premium soft top
Hi everyone

I’ve been looking at these Apex discos for a while now. I am still undecided on those, the Antirock and the ORO SwayLoc.
Money isn’t the deciding factor, I just want to make sure I buy the right thing.

I drive a Sahara with a 2.5 inch Rubicon Express lift with Bilstein 5100s and 33s.

Since this is my daily driver, I’m afraid the Antirock is too much on the highway and I also hear mixed things about the SwayLoc.

Would the Apex one rub on my inner fender liner, and if yes how bad would it be. I’ve seen folks cutting holes in their fender liners which is what I’m trying to avoid.

Anyway, I guess the major question is what would you guys recommend for my application?

Cheers
After researching this a lot I just pulled the trigger and ordered the autoLYNX. Not cheap so hoping this is the right choice. It's a relatively new product so not a tremendous amount of feedback yet but signs so far seem good.

I have a Synergy stage 1 lift that gives me 2.75" on my Sport, Bilstein 5100 shocks and 34" tires. My quick disconnects have never been as quick as the name implies and have taken more time, effort, and frustration than I like. The Anti-rock seems too much of a compromise since my Jeep is my daily driver.

I'll report back on the install.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I really don’t see how you can balance convenience and capability with simplicity and cost any better. I researched everything out there for over a year. The cost is half the Antirock and Swayloc. Less than half of the going price for converting a Rubicon sway bar to a manual disconnect (EVO). So $200 more (over “quick disconnects”) for this level of convenience alone is nothing to me. Shit. That’s three tanks of fuel maybe. And we own Jeeps… they soak your wallet anyway. lol

Last edited:

Dalvarado55

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport 2.0, MC 3.5" lift, Rubi Axles
Hi everyone

Cheers
I think they are awesome. I’ve had mine for a couple of months now. I have 18 JLU 2.5 inch lift on 35s. It is a daily driver for us. We go out on a trail almost every weekend. The AutoLynx instal is easy and using them is even easier. Switch the knob and your unlocked. Switch it back and lock one side down and your back. I looked at other options and this one is by far the best. Apex has great customer service and responded back to all my questions. Great product and good company. You won’t go wrong with the AutoLynx.

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
In the middle of my install and something doesn’t seem right, 2018 JL sport with the OEM sway bar. When I tighten the lower bolts the upper bolt is ~1.5” away from the sway bar on both sides, so if I tighten the upper it’s going to bend the Autolynx 5-7 degrees inboard.

Is this how others look installed? Seems like too much of a bend, I tried to call Apex but no one answered and voicemail was full. Sent an email with the pics as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 3F6806B6-F032-4514-AD7B-3A0D34A10877
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 6C3354E5-21CB-4D29-8AF9-1FE1C6BBAD6E

Edit to add Apex's response:

"We have noticed that there has been some variation on lower bracket locations across all the different Jeep models, However we have not seen one with this amount of mis-alignment.
We are confident that the rubber bushings in the AutoLynx will accommodate this amount of mis-alignment as is, but you could also use a few washers to space it inwards a 1/4” so that it is a little more straight."

Last edited:

Dalvarado55

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport 2.0, MC 3.5" lift, Rubi Axles
In the middle of my install and something doesn’t seem right, 2018 JL sport with the OEM sway bar. When I tighten the lower bolts the upper bolt is ~1.5” away from the sway bar on both sides, so if I tighten the upper it’s going to bend the Autolynx 5-7 degrees inboard.

Is this how others look installed? Seems like too much of a bend, I tried to call Apex but no one answered and voicemail was full. Sent an email with the pics as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex AutoLYNX sway bar disconnect 6C3354E5-21CB-4D29-8AF9-1FE1C6BBAD6E

Yep, that’s how they are on the JL. It doesn’t cause any issues, doesn’t bend the AutoLynx, and works great. I’ve had no issues with mine. They are so easy to use.

02758D0F-DA95-46E9-A49A-0B7F84D101C7.jpeg

E54DA2F2-A356-4C68-8964-C654173417E5.jpeg
Sponsored