Sponsored

The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
why no mention of Fishone Bumpers? I like the Fishbone Offroad FB 22178 Stubby Front Bumper, but the lack of talk about it makes me question it.
I just installed a Fishbone front bumper. The winch doesn't fit without rubbing on the grill. The factory LED fog lights don't fit either. The mounting tabs on the bumper are about 1 inch from where they need to be.
Sponsored

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Add me to the list of EAG owners. Very happy and impressed with the quality so far. Very solid construction and no paint/coating issues to speak of so far.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 242325483_10158722272252669_6325690670144376288_n
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 239773919_10158730877162669_2045472207193520829_n

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
The most cost efficient and proper carrier solution is the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It simply replaces the factory plastic carrier, without getting further invasive with the Jeep. It provides both height adjustment to raise the spare for bumper clearance, and fore and aft adjustment to accommodate different width tires and wheel offsets to maintain full supportive contact between the inner sidewall and the rubber bumpers on the tailgate. The Alpha includes a clamp-on bracket that relocates the 3rd brake light to right above the backup camera. Here's a pic of a 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2 on factory wheel mounted to this carrier. This is with the carrier adjusted to the highest of its 3 settings.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 239773919_10158730877162669_2045472207193520829_n

Here's a pic of the Alpha holding my current 38x13.5 tire on a wheel that's wider and of less backspace than the factory wheel. The fore and aft adjustability made it possible to maintain firm contact between the inner sidewall and the tailgates rubber bumpers. Without that adjustability, the spare would've been shifted further away from the tailgate. This is an important aspect to consider, because when a given weight gets cantilevered away from its mounting surface, the negative affects of that weight will be amplified.

It's hard to see it in this 2nd pic, but the 38's brought me back to having the tire hitting the rear bumper. Also, as solid as the Alpha was holding up to the heavier spare during daily driver duty, I knew it was going to be a problem when bouncing around the trails. At the time, Teraflex still hadn't released their hinged tailgate reinforcement that was to be used with their carrier. I was also wanting to get the spare mounted even higher, to maximize clearance when coming off of ledges and whatnot.

My hunt for a hinged tailgate reinforcement with adjustable carrier expanded to include a rear bumper. It makes sense to do these together, so that it's easier to come up with a solution that covers all the small bits: 3rd brake light, license plate, and plate light. I ended up with the Elite hinged carrier and the Ultra High Clearance rear bumper from Cavfab in Georgia. All easy bolt on parts, but moving the plate from the original location requires some form of extending the factory plate light harness and rerouting it to come out of the back of the gate like the camera and 3rd brake light harnesses. I had them powder coated to match the Mopar steel bumpers lightly textured black and the Cavfab logo plates in the same gloss red as the factory tow hooks. The tailgate is so strong that I was able to hang my body weight, with the spare mounted and tailgate swung open, without any sign of hinge sag. The cargo area also became so much quieter while driving around on our lovely NY roads/moonscape.
Where is your back up camera mounted now that you have the license plate in the middle of the wheel?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Where is your back up camera mounted now that you have the license plate in the middle of the wheel?
It's in the metal housing right below the plate. Here's the closest shot I have at the moment. You can see the camera lense in between the 2 stainless bolts.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20201223_135358

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I want all aluminum(not metal) and the tire carrier separate from the tailgate.
Ummm... aluminum is a metal. Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
What bumper with winch hoop is compatible with the Mopar front trail camera?
Thanks

Reactions: SJP

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Hey all! I've been checking out the list and hopping around the big seller sites, but any recommendations for aluminum front bumpers (mid or full)?

I like a more subtle look. So far I'm looking at the MP Concepts aluminum front.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
After getting my PITA Genright front bumper and Zeon Platinum installed together, I will be changing direction soon as a couple of things came to light.

First, just because you buy a top of the line product, doesnā€™t mean you get the best performance when you need it. My winch will not engage to reel either direction. Well, I barely got it reeled back up because anymore resistance than that of the line sliding through your hands will stop the winch. Warn tech thinks itā€™s the brake that failed. I guess I could replace it.

That leads to a new observation, trying to get access to the winch plate bolts to remove the winch for service. Being a recessed design, I didnā€™t do myself any favors going with this popular route. I think the bumper design exacerbates the difficulty in getting an unbolted winch out as well.

Then there was debris and the fact that the friction sheath got wedged in between the fairlead and spool.

This time around Iā€™ll get a bumper where the winch is top mounted. I may be able to service something without complete removal of the winch. I could definitely clean the area of leaves/sticks/mud. I would have better access to the spool to spool and unspool evenlyā€¦much easier.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Maybe someone has a recommendation for me. I have a Genright aluminum bumper and Warn Platinum 10S. Iā€™m interested in replacing both but I might repair the winch.

Hereā€™s traits in a bumper I would like to find.

1. Stubby (trying to keep weight gain down but steel is fine)
2. Depends on the winch/bumper combo but Iā€™m looking for cleaning access around the winch base, spool, plate. Iā€™d like to be able to reach my hand or at least my fingers down in there. Room in front of the spool & line to not have to spend an hour evenly respooling. (I have to worry way too easily about hitting the winch plate right now and chafing the line. SMH I think it sounds like a top mount unless youā€™ve got a recess option with some room.
3. Winch servicing- Being able to remove the winch without it being a 2 hr job. The GR would be a huge pain to remove/install again so thinking ahead.
4. Preferā€¦prefer no fog light holesā€¦ unless it gives acces to help any of the above.
5. Flat spot or tabs to mount my cubed wide cornering lights on the bumper or higher on a short or mid height hoop.

I dont want much. lol

SJP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT JL Rubicon
It's in the metal housing right below the plate. Here's the closest shot I have at the moment. You can see the camera lense in between the 2 stainless bolts.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20201223_135358
Is it safe to say your parking sensors work with this bumper?

How is the license plate illuminated?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Is it safe to say your parking sensors work with this bumper?

How is the license plate illuminated?
Yes, parking sensors work perfectly. I do highly recommend getting new outer bezels and inner retainers for all 4 sensors. It'll make switching them to the new bumper much easier, because trying to remove the existing retainers without damage is difficult and they are never the same once removed. Well worth the small price for those bits.

Here's what I chose for plate illumination...

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...rtec-license-plate-led-lights-and-harness-kit

Reactions: SJP

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired

Pepper23

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Looking for A super basic TJ style bumper for my JL...not really into all these angles, regardless of how functional they may be.

Anyone know of anything / in SoCal and want to fabricate one?

Something like this...

J113344.jpg
So, thereā€™s a reason for all the angles? Seriously, most of my vehicles have been 4x4, never worried much about modifying them though, if you could explain the functionality of the angles, that would be great. Iā€™m trying to settle on a front bumper for my first Wrangler and to be honest, many are too big and too strange looking, putting it nicely there because to each his own. I generally want something on the minimal side, functional for recovery, recess a winch, keep or improve approach angle, decent looking, and doesnā€™t break the bank. So far, thatā€™s been difficult to line up. If there is a purpose to some of the many angles out there, maybe that would help sway my thinking.

ā€¦And at this point, after 79 pages on this thread alone, Iā€™m starting to think the most important feature is a flat spot to set my beer!
Sponsored