Sponsored

The Aftermarket Bumper List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Do you happen to remember the vendor - I find that being half the battle on eBay?
urautoparts was the seller
Sponsored

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
A winch with steel cable will weight about 100 pounds. Not sure about a winch plate, but figure 20 pounds. The OEM Rubi steel bumper is about 100 pounds, so all together you're at 220 pounds. So, get a fluffy neighbor to sit on your front bumper and that's about the static compression.

The huge difference is when that mass starts moving. The 220 pounds of dynamic mass is a big deal. If you don't already have Rubicon or better shocks, get them now. Extra spring rate would be called for along with increased damping. The Rubi bumper is about the same weight as other aftermarket bumpers, but keep all that weight in mind as you're building.
All that weight out front really must affect the nimble handling of the Jeep no?

Sponsored

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Are there any rear steel bumpers that have a mount for the license plate?

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

The OEM Rubi steel bumper is about 100 pounds, so ...
Actually, the OEM steel bumper is somewhat lighter than that:
* 53 lbs for the stubby part
* 16 lbs for the skid plate
* 17 lbs for the pair of full length outers

Last edited:

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
All that weight out front really must affect the nimble handling of the Jeep no?
Ha! The Jeep certainly isn't a Porsche or Miata. 😂

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
Ha! The Jeep certainly isn't a Porsche or Miata. 😂
Obviously not. My question was how does 150lbs between Bumper and winch affects the feel of driving a Jeep? Does it push much more through corners? I don’t want to change the handling.

Sponsored

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Obviously not. My question was how does 150lbs between Bumper and winch affects the feel of driving a Jeep? Does it push much more through corners? I don’t want to change the handling.
The pushing through the corners is identified as understeer. Understeer is a great protector when it comes to briskly driving a vehicle beyond its intended use. Understeer causes most drivers to back out of the throttle to transfer mass to the front tires for needed grip. Any Jeep will have judicious amounts of understeer designed in as none are engineered to be stellar street performers. The added mass to the front end will cause the Jeep to stick a bit better at initial turn in due to increased initial grip. Through the corner, that added mass will want to continue going straight which results in understeer. The Jeep was designed as an off-road sport utility vehicle, not a sports car. It's very high center of gravity and front to rear weight bias are completely contrary to the physics needed for a good handling vehicle. Buy a Miata and keep the Jeep.

klawrence3

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Vehicle Showcase
What did you do about the fog lights? Love the look of this bumper!
Sorry for the late reply. The fog lights are rigid sae fog lights. I just wired them to turn on and act just like factory fogs.