The 8.4 radio is really bad.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
If I didn’t care about security of the device, I might give Android a try as a personal phone. We used them in my old work because they could be manipulated easily. I really love iTunes though, Trent Reznor has done great things for it.
I’m using the latest beta version on a 12 mini, it’s been solid so far. The previous beta version had a blue tooth connection issue on my device, it kept reseting.
Sponsored

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
The head unit in my JT works fine, but Android Auto has been a shitshow since day 1.
  • The AA voice commands have never worked. The Jeep/UConnect voice commands work just fine (even though I never use them), so I know it's not an issue of the microphone not working. But like, if I try to tap on the screen while driving, it will bark at me "Use voice commands while vehicle is in motion", but it just never hears/recognizes me.
  • The text message narration has never worked. I have reinstalled AA several times, checked every permission I can possibly find, and nothing. The UConnect screen displays "Tap here to read aloud", and when I tap it, it just does nothing.
  • As of 2-3 days ago, the Maps display settings stopped working. I normally keep my Maps in night mode all the time (wife hates the bright screen), but now, it just stays in Day/Bright mode permanently. If I go into the settings and check the display, Night mode is selected. But, it's not on Night mode.
At this point, all AA does for me is play music and put a map on the screen if I'm using navigation. I'm almost to the point of just disabling it entirely and using Bluetooth from now on. AA is fucking atrocious.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, "Come join our cool club. They give free track suits and punch!"

"Upgrade" LMAO.

NTY
I went from Android Auto to Carplay and Carplay blows the f'ing lights out of Android Auto. So yes, upgrade. I have never once had an issue with Carplay, my Android Auto broke on half of my road trips.

8.4 radio is fine. You shouldn't be using most of the features on it anyway.

OP
OP

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Wow! I cannot possibly respond to everyone. Thanks for all the responses!

I write code and deal with technology all day. I'm definitely not switching to anything Apple anytime soon. Not looking to start Apple vs Everybody else arguments but just want to say I'm happy with my Android and have been an Android user since the beginning. And for the record, no, the Android platform is not “junk”.

My device is a Pixel 6 Pro. My previous device was a Note 20 Ultra. Both devices have the same type of results. A spare device, Pixel 3A, also had the same type of issues. So no, I'm not using old outdated phones. And my phones are kept up to date.

My frustration started shortly after I purchased the Jeep. The errors were rare but they started to happen more and more. I replaced the cable which resolved the issues for a while. At this point, I've replaced the cables several times but it still has random issues.

After I realized how impossible it was to get the Motorola MA1 I found the Carsifi alternative. This device acts the same way as phones did.

As far as Android Auto sucking this is always a possibility. This is until I rented a car last week (Nissan) and the Android Auto worked flawlessly without a single issue. This makes me really sad because as someone said, no other systems can truly compare to the uConnect radio. It is by the far the BEST radio I've used in any vehicle.

As a suggestion, I’ll use canned air to blow out all of the ports and see if that helps. With the help of all my fella Jeepers, I'm going to do the following things:

• Clean out all of the ports with canned air
  • Use a high-quality short USB cord
  • Upgrade my radio from version 39.3 to 39.6 (I really think this will help)
  • Complain to my dealer (it is under warranty, 2021 with 21k miles)

I really appreciate all the responses and the laughs. For the current AA uses, I suggest looking at Carsifi. It's new but it's getting better with every update!

Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I've had no issues with Android Auto across two Jeeps over 3 years, using Pixel phones. I've had plenty of problems with Uconnect. My solution of remote starting the Jeep so Uconnect boots up fully solves most of my problems, but I still encounter the occasional Uconnect bugs.

And I think Uconnect is one of the best car systems available. The car industry as a whole just doesn't put enough resources into fixing software issues.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer

I write code and deal with technology all day. I'm definitely not switching to anything Apple anytime soon. Not looking to start Apple vs Everybody else arguments but just want to say I'm happy with my Android and have been an Android user since the beginning. And for the record, no, the Android platform is not “junk”.

My device is a Pixel 6 Pro. My previous device was a Note 20 Ultra. Both devices have the same type of results. A spare device, Pixel 3A, also had the same type of issues. So no, I'm not using old outdated phones. And my phones are kept up to date.

My frustration started shortly after I purchased the Jeep. The errors were rare but they started to happen more and more. I replaced the cable which resolved the issues for a while. At this point, I've replaced the cables several times but it still has random issues.

After I realized how impossible it was to get the Motorola MA1 I found the Carsifi alternative. This device acts the same way as phones did.

As far as Android Auto sucking this is always a possibility. This is until I rented a car last week (Nissan) and the Android Auto worked flawlessly without a single issue. This makes me really sad because as someone said, no other systems can truly compare to the uConnect radio. It is by the far the BEST radio I've used in any vehicle.

As a suggestion, I’ll use canned air to blow out all of the ports and see if that helps. With the help of all my fella Jeepers, I'm going to do the following things:

I really appreciate all the responses and the laughs. For the current AA uses, I suggest looking at Carsifi. It's new but it's getting better with every update!
As a developer, I'm right there with you...
As for android auto there are a couple of things to try. I've been using android auto for over a year with zero problems, but I know it's hit and miss. I'm using a shielded data cable and a Samsung S20+ and connected in my center console.

30 Seconds before you see any icons sounds off and may be a sign of an issue, but I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're referring too. It does take a long time for some the icons at the bottom of the screen (when on the media screen) to be correct. Like the off road icon stays as a generic uconnect icon for a while.

The USB ports in our jeeps seem to be inconsistent as far as power levels. Some seem to run a little on the low side. Plenty good for charging, but not so good for interfacing and data communications.

1. Make sure you have a quality data cable and not just a charging cable.
2. Make it as short as possible.
3. Try the port at the bottom of the dash (assuming you're using the one in the center console now)

Try Amazon again for the MA1. Just got mine yesterday for $89. I see them on there frequently for $130+, but they must have just received a fresh shipment because I got one from the motorola sound store on Amazon for the factory price. Works great by the way

au1994

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe, BMW X1
Occupation
Chickens
As suggested, I’d take it to the dealer for a flash.

Its all about perspective, I came from a 2008 Land Cruiser so I think the 8.4 and Alpine kick ass.

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I don't know what Jeep did here. This radio is unacceptably bad. It's slow, laggy, and glitchy. Trying to make Android Auto work with it is nearly impossible. Some days it'll work perfectly, others it'll constantly have issues. The first boot-up of the radio shows no icons (as a software developer myself, I don't know how it can possibly be so slow where icons take 30 seconds to load).

Mostly I'm angry about the Android auto implementation. Does anyone else have this kind of issue?

1) Sometimes when first connecting my music plays through one speaker and adjusting the volume on the radio adjusts the navigation voice volume. Reconnecting the device fixes it.
2) Device not supported errors
3) Not recognized at all (no response from the radio when connected)
4) Random disconnects from any of the USB ports

I have replaced the cable multiple times. Sometimes hard rebooting the radio fixes it. Sometimes it's my phone being silly. Does anyone else have issues like this? My radio is version 39.3.
I have been using the 8.4 since 2014. Other than some issues during code updates, they have been solid. I bricked one doing a USB upgrade, but now they use OTA for updates. If you are having issues and it is under warranty, take it to the dealer. Regarding the cable, always make sure you are using a good cable.

I deal with issues 2, 3, & 4 too, but I know it is because my cable gets abused in the Wrangler due to where the USB plugs are vs. where they were in my Grand Cherokees.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.

Wanted to add one "enhancement" to the port cleaning - use a pick of some kind, like a small toothpick or the flexible pick on the end of those dental floss pick thingys. Lint and dust gets shoved deep into the usb-c port on your phone every time you plug in a cable, and you'd be blown away by how much it builds up...it gets to the point where it stops the cable from fully seating in the port. Compressed air won't get that out, you need a pick of some kind to scrape it out.

Sponsored

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I don't know what Jeep did here. This radio is unacceptably bad. It's slow, laggy, and glitchy. Trying to make Android Auto work with it is nearly impossible. Some days it'll work perfectly, others it'll constantly have issues. The first boot-up of the radio shows no icons (as a software developer myself, I don't know how it can possibly be so slow where icons take 30 seconds to load).

Mostly I'm angry about the Android auto implementation. Does anyone else have this kind of issue?

1) Sometimes when first connecting my music plays through one speaker and adjusting the volume on the radio adjusts the navigation voice volume. Reconnecting the device fixes it.
2) Device not supported errors
3) Not recognized at all (no response from the radio when connected)
4) Random disconnects from any of the USB ports

I have replaced the cable multiple times. Sometimes hard rebooting the radio fixes it. Sometimes it's my phone being silly. Does anyone else have issues like this? My radio isversion 39.3.
I occasionally get things like that with my iPhone. Never know when it's going to act up & then work perfect the next time I turn it on. Might only be 10 minutes later.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed! It’s awesome. It’s a breath of fresh air after coming from Ford Sync.
Ford Sync is my arch enemy. Sometimes my phone wont connect because. Then randomly two weeks later it will reconnect and be good to go for a month. Straight up trash. And the worst is they know they have stack issues in the software/hardware. Hate Hate Hate

Reactions: LCW

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR

I use a Pixel 6 Pro as well, though honestly I only use it for calls. I don't use AA. I will say though that my JT won't release my phone after I turn the truck off and try to get out. I have to end the call and then call the person back to continue a convo. That's annoying.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
I've had Andriod Auto for years, no issues in any of our Jeeps, Ram, etc. Keep the systems updated as previously indicated and buy quality cables.

DiscoLemonade

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Im using carplay and find the 8.4 infotainment system to work quite well compared to the mazda infotainment I came from. Significantly more responsive. On a few occasions ive had it get confused when I plug a random USB in prior to hooking up my carplay. All I have to do is plug in/out again and it seems to take care of the issue.
Sponsored