The 8.4 radio is really bad.

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don't know what Jeep did here. This radio is unacceptably bad. It's slow, laggy, and glitchy. Trying to make Android Auto work with it is nearly impossible. Some days it'll work perfectly, others it'll constantly have issues. The first boot-up of the radio shows no icons (as a software developer myself, I don't know how it can possibly be so slow where icons take 30 seconds to load).

Mostly I'm angry about the Android auto implementation. Does anyone else have this kind of issue?

1) Sometimes when first connecting my music plays through one speaker and adjusting the volume on the radio adjusts the navigation voice volume. Reconnecting the device fixes it.
2) Device not supported errors
3) Not recognized at all (no response from the radio when connected)
4) Random disconnects from any of the USB ports

I have replaced the cable multiple times. Sometimes hard rebooting the radio fixes it. Sometimes it's my phone being silly. Does anyone else have issues like this? My radio is version 39.3.
Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what Jeep did here. This radio is unacceptably bad. It's slow, laggy, and glitchy. Trying to make Android Auto work with it is nearly impossible. Some days it'll work perfectly, others it'll constantly have issues. The first boot-up of the radio shows no icons (as a software developer myself, I don't know how it can possibly be so slow where icons take 30 seconds to load).

Mostly I'm angry about the Android auto implementation. Does anyone else have this kind of issue?

1) Sometimes when first connecting my music plays through one speaker and adjusting the volume on the radio adjusts the navigation voice volume. Reconnecting the device fixes it.

I have replaced the cable multiple times. Sometimes hard rebooting the radio fixes it. Sometimes it's my phone being silly. Does anyone else have issues like this? My radio is version 39.3.
Yikes, that's too bad!

1) no
2) no
3) no
4) no

Take it to the dealer, on the assumption that it's still under warranty.

Sponsored

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon

must be Android auto related issues , bad head unit, or software. I have had zero issues or complaints but I use Carplay

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
The radio and Nav functions worked well enough in mine, but the back-up camera was only functional about 30% of the time. Took it to the dealer multiple times, opened a case with Jeep Cares and finally they ended up replacing the entire head unit. That was almost a year ago and it's been A-OK ever since.

Keep taking it back to your dealer until they make it right. The problems you're experiencing are intolerable. You don't have to live with it.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Everything has worked well in my 8.4 since 2019 although I only use CarPlay. Been a couple situations in the past where I've had to pull fuses to hard reboot it after it froze up, but I haven't had those issues in well over a year. I think an update somewhere along the way fixed a lot of things. Use the USB-C on the dash, not the center console USB-A.

Generally though its clunky and slow to navigate the non-carplay/android auto elements of it but that's just what it is. It's a 2018-era unit that's about to be replaced fleet wide with Uconnect5 in the next model year or two. Car manufacturers are not good at making this stuff and never have been which is why CarPlay/Android Auto are such a godsend. If you're having issues getting those working definitely bug your dealer.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
Just you. The 8.4 is nice and the radio interface is almost unanimously 1 of the best on the market. Simple, easy to use, non convoluted, and fairly responsive. If you're getting anything other than that take it to your dealer to have it looked at.

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88

I have the occasional problem with device not recognized with my Android Auto. I heard the usb-c port might work better but it's not a common problem for me.
I have a bigger gripe with the audio. It feels like there's no mid and too much bass. It's overpowering and so I've got it set to -5 bass, +3 mid and -3 treble. It still sounds mediocre but it's a little less painful.

Sponsored

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon

As far as I can tell, many of the icons don't load until it does some sort of check-in with UConnect or SiriusXM Guardian, or it's waiting for some other system availability before displaying icons so that it knows which ones you've paid for or still have a free trial for. That's normal, as it's done that on the 2 JL's I've owned. I just have the icons for apps that I know don't need to do any validation on the bottom dock/tray.

I also have the weird issue where the music only plays through one speaker. An immediate fix for me was just to simply hit the power button inside the volume knob, and turn it back on. If you adjust the volume and see the speaker icon, it should be working through all speakers; if you see the Android Auto or nav triangle icon, it's only going to play through the right speakers. The long term fix (for me) was deleting all vehicles from Android Auto, setting up music so that it DOESN'T autostart when plugged in, then going through the pairing process again.

Your other issues are similar to issues I've had; turned out there was just too much lint inside the USB-C port on my phone, and the USB cable wasn't snug enough. Get a can of compressed air, blow the hell out of that port, then whittle down the edge of a toothpick to fit inside and dig any other lint out of the port. I also always use the #1 USB-C port on the dashboard, not the one inside the center console. I've also had the best luck with the cheapest Amazon Basics cables that are non-braided and don't have aluminum connectors.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Lol, "Come join our cool club. They give free track suits and punch!"

"Upgrade" LMAO.

NTY
Upgrade to an iPhone
Neither is objectively better than the other. Different needs for different people. I prefer my phone to be hands-off and dependable and I have no desire to chase spec sheets and deep customization, and I appreciate the build quality and UI design language of Apple and its integration into my work environment. The fact that my 13 Pro Max has what feels like an unkillable battery adds to it. If there was something I absolutely needed to do that my iPhone could not, I could look into Android devices - that's the beauty of competition.

My buddy uses his Android device to emulate retro RPG games on the road and do a lot of Remote Desktop for both work and play, so he's got a Z Fold2 and loves it for the massive display size and flexibility with being able to install emulators and things that I may not be able to on iOS. Different strokes. Would suck for yet another thread on a jeep forum to become a pointless phone fanboy face off.

Different people like and use different things, what a shock.

Last edited:

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Zero issues for me. 100% happy with it.
Sponsored