The 2022 GMC Hummer Is a 1000-HP, $112,595 Electric Monster Truck

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
No deflection. The fear is all in the electronics, rock crawling isn’t going to tax the electronic system in any special way.

JimLee

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
No deflection. The fear is all in the electronics, rock crawling isn’t going to tax the electronic system in any special way.
I think people are a little more worried about the effects vibration and impact shock will have on the electronic components. I guess only time will tell.

pablo_max3045

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Allroads are the absolute worst. Everything goes to hell on them.
Haldex in general sucks. I've had issues with every car which had the systems. When they work, they work great. The pump has a nasty habbit of clogging up though.

Back on topic though.
I don't see the point of the Hummer at this price point.
The Rivian and the Tesla are cheaper. Plus the Tesla has a way higher range. 300+ vs 500+, I think the Rivian was saying 400+ on their truck.
They all seem to be trying to come off as "off road" trucks, but I am not sure any of them really fit the bill.
The hummer is just too damn huge. The Rivian could work, but who knows. Maybe having 1 motor per wheel could help offset the lack of solid axles.
For the Tesla.. Who in their right mind would take that off road. Stainless steel giant body panels, so even the slightest ding is a specialty repair? No thanks.
I will admit having a bias to Rivian though, having some friends who work there and having seen it in person.

Eventually everything will be electric, whether we want it or not. I still do not really think that batteries are the answer in a lot of use cases. I would be more inclined towards fuel cells using hydrogen generated onboard from ammonia via membrain tech. At least you can actually bring extra fuel with you in that case.

Kyanche

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don't think I like it. For whatever it's worth, I thought H1s and H2s were pretty cool, and totally would've bought one if they still made H2s lol. I'll own up to my bad taste! I love the bling bling tonka truck.

The new one? It's interesting. For sure, the best looking truck to come out of GM in a while. I dunno what they've been thinking lately with the really weird looking grilles and whatever they did to the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Just in general, if you look at a Cadillac now and take the grille off, it'd be easy to mistake it for a Kia. It's.. really weird.

The HEV looks solid by comparison. But it's more like, I dunno, Honda Ridgeline meets Silverado? With a hummer style grille? It kinda looks like a boat.

I guess we'll have to wait and see when they end up on the road.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The real question is... how are the electric Hummer owners going to respond when you tell them a Nissan Leaf can wade through deeper water than their $100k+ off road machine?

24” vs 27.56” (700mm)

youtube.com/watch?v=Y9plRzRZ_PY

johnnyj

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon. Gone but not forgotten: 1998 Sport, 2002 Sport, 2006 LJ Rubicon
Pretty cool tech. I think a beautiful thing about capitalism is all the weird stuff it creates to make the world interesting. This said, I'm still unable to make use of these electrics. It's not that they're not cool...it's just the infrastructure isn't there.

I like roaming - traveling as much as I can by back roads, and often end up in the most amazing little towns. A good example would be Conconully, Wa.

When we arrive in these great destinations, first thing we do is fill up, usually at a small privately owned gas station with 2 pumps or less. I'm gonna be too old to drive before all the great destinations have Quick Chargers and the vehicles, on a quick charge, can do 350+ miles laden and off-pavement with gear.

Gas for me.

Yellowssm

First Name
Ray
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm still going Rivian R1T when it comes out. This hasn't swayed me one bit

Goin2drt

Reaction score
Kentucky (formerly Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Yeah I can't even see why the comparison to a Jeep. Comparing apples to oranges. I would take this Hummer over a Cybertruck all day long. This thing will find its shopper and crowd and they will have no problem selling every last one and probably over MSRP for the first several years.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
One of two things will happen:

1. The same people who derided the old Hummer brand for being gas guzzlers will deride this Hummer for being too heavy and too expensive, or
2. Those people will buy this Hummer so they can say at parties “actually, MY Hummer is emission-free. I just felt like I needed to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.” And their friends will say “good for you!”
Ahhh good ole emission free nonsense.. cant imagine the energy it took to make those batteries and when that battery becomes useless in the future than what? Landfill? I suppose hummer brand is pulling for a biden win lol... and the wrangler hemi is pullin for trump ha

Advertisement

Freeland Jeep

Advertisement