neil

First Name
neil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
A few months before my jeep purchase I was reading about other upcoming offerings, and looked at everything from diesel 1-tons to canyons w diesels. I had looked at everything other than jeep, mostly because my exp with jeeps comes before square headlight days.

I considered upcoming electric offerings. But they all miss the mark at some basic level of expectation. I remember reading (dunno if true) that the ford electric truck offering can only handle 4" of water. Even in the desert, that is useless....driving through Tucson or anywhere in TX-VA you could encounter that much water in the road.

Sure the electric shit is neat, new tech, etc. Go to the national museum and look at the electric car there, can you find parts for it? yeah, well, having an electrical problem sucks in a petrol vehicle, put that in the middle of the desert with an all electric car and no cell service-best of luck.

people are excited about the electric jeep. I have a 6cyl, steel front bumper and winch, rack, compressor, and have actually added enough weight to it to realize that the 4cyl electric already has a HUGE disadvantage to what most people seek in a jeep.

End of the day, sure it's cool, but in 4 years it will be as outdated as last years playstation. It's up for the market to decide if the aftermarket makers are going to support these electric vehicles over the long term. I doubt an electric jeep will retain the long-term resell value like it's dinosaur sucking relatives do.

I don't expect electrics to have a useful life past about 6-7 years. Sorry.

This "hummer" has the usefulness of a speedboat. It's good for an instagram photo.

Advertisement

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
People have appliances that last decades under constant use, but the same tech in a truck will only last a couple years.
Ok.

porcusRex

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
someday you will able to buy an offroad vehicle and run it in drone mode. stay home, drive the thing through black bear pass while wearing a VR headset thats tapped into all the cameras so you can see everything from the best perspective.

heck, they'll prolly do something like peloton where everyone gets together remotely and do the rubicon from the comfort of their barcalounger

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
its a cool beast! 1000hp 3 sec to 60 damn......$100+ no thanks.......

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
its a cool beast! 1000hp 3 sec to 60 damn......$100+ no thanks.......
Just to put this into perspective, a 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S has a 0-60 of 3 seconds...and can’t leave the pavement. It’s $128K. A loaded Escalade is about $90K and they’re extremely popular.

This isn’t a truck for the backwoods “yokel” crowd. It’s a luxury vehicle with a specific market. $100K for this Hummer is far more deserved than $65K for a Jeep Wrangler.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I put a reservation on a 3x. It will be available in two years (1 year after the first edition)
So I have plenty of time to see if it's actually worth to me getting one.
If it's not, i don't have to buy it.
If it is, I already saved a place in line.

D60

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had a range rover with this.. Never Ever Ever EVER again.
Audi Allroad owners will back this up, too...well at least the few who keep the vehicle long enough to realize significant problems. One reason most luxury cars can get away with dozens of gizmos with questionable reliability is that the target market only keeps the vehicle for 2-5 years before trading it in on the next Lucas Electronics-esque abomination, and the cycle repeats

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just to put this into perspective, a 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S has a 0-60 of 3 seconds...and can’t leave the pavement. It’s $128K. A loaded Escalade is about $90K and they’re extremely popular.

This isn’t a truck for the backwoods “yokel” crowd. It’s a luxury vehicle with a specific market. $100K for this Hummer is far more deserved than $65K for a Jeep Wrangler.
I don't disagree at all its for that niche market. As for a $65K Jeep I know never though prices for loaded Jeep Wrangler would ever reach this point.

OP
chachimcnacho

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Audi Allroad owners will back this up, too...well at least the few who keep the vehicle long enough to realize significant problems. One reason most luxury cars can get away with dozens of gizmos with questionable reliability is that the target market only keeps the vehicle for 2-5 years before trading it in on the next Lucas Electronics-esque abomination, and the cycle repeats
I had a co-worker who picked up an old Mercedes v12 biturbo. Fun car but when the air suspension went out it was a $2k+ expense. I suppose that’s not a significant obstacle for someone who can afford a >$100k “truck”.

JimLee

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

Your bigot is showing...

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 1988 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Audi Allroad owners will back this up, too...well at least the few who keep the vehicle long enough to realize significant problems.
Allroads are the absolute worst. Everything goes to hell on them.

Advertisement

JTopsUSA

Advertisement