Sponsored

That First Wash

impatientray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yes, I know it's a Jeep. Yes, I know it should get dirty. No, I don't want a Picasso of bugs on the grill and windshield.

Short story: I've never owned a "nice" vehicle. Realized I have no idea how to even give it that first wash after its first trip to Colorado. I know to avoid the automatic car washes. Read some threads on taking care of the premium soft top, but I still don't have my full shopping list.

What's your washing process? Any particular products you love for the below? What else am I missing?

Will try to summarize advice with edits.
  • Gas pressure washer - couple folks making me question using this. may still buy it for other uses and blame the need for buying it on the Jeep.
  • Foam cannon - Chemical Guys?
  • Chemical Guys foam soap seems to be the go-to
  • 303 for the fenders
  • Buckets
  • Griots Grit guards for ye ol' buckets
  • Wash mitts
  • Microfiber cloths
  • Gas powered blower (Stihl BG 56 CE)
  • Beer - Boulevard Tank 7 - +1 from @stangken
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yes, I know it's a Jeep. Yes, I know it should get dirty. No, I don't want a Picasso of bugs on the grill and windshield.

Short story: I've never owned a "nice" vehicle. Realized I have no idea how to even give it that first wash after its first trip to Colorado. I know to avoid the automatic car washes. Read some threads on taking care of the premium soft top, but I still don't have my full shopping list.

What's your washing process? Any particular products you love for the below? What else am I missing?

• Pressure washer - kind of wanted to buy one anyways cough cough
  • Foam cannon - Chemical Guys?
  • Chemical Guys foam soap seems to be the go-to
  • 303 for the fenders
  • Buckets
  • Wash mitts
  • Microfiber cloths
  • Beer - Boulevard Tank 7
@impatientray

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent gas powered blower. I recommend the Made in the USA (Virginia) Stihl BG 56 CE. ($200+-)

A decent gas blower as far as I'm concerned, is a must have in regard to Auto,Truck, Motorcycle, etc. cleaning. The less you keep towels off a vehicle the better!

And yeah, in regard to the blower, it is also good for lots of other chores around the house.

bg56ce.png

Tridgerat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I use a lot of Chemical Guys stuff, including the foam cannon. Can't say it works as well for me as the videos show but I still like it and use their stuff every time I wash. Can't go wrong with their products as far as I'm concerned. Definitely invest in a decent gas pressure washer. The electric ones are garbage.

OP
OP

impatientray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@impatientray

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent gas powered blower. I recommend the Made in the USA (Virginia) Stihl BG 56 CE. ($200+-)

A decent gas blower as far as I'm concerned, is a must have in regard to Auto,Truck, Motorcycle, etc. cleaning. The less you keep towels off a vehicle the better!

And yeah, in regard to the blower, it is also good for lots of other chores around the house.
bg56ce.png
Shoot, good call. I actually just got a blower and hadn't even thought of this benefit.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@impatientray

In regard to the Wrangler. I have had a bunch. All but the last two did not have color matched fenders/flares.

Big thing I learned over the years is that the black fender/flares, are lets say the Achilles heal... and will start looking unsightly lets say, really quickly.

DO, as soon as you see it clean any bird chitt off of them. Do clean off any tree sap as soon as you see it. Do keep them clean in general, Do use 303 on them.

Hint: Buy a can of bug and sap remover.

Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
I would stay away from a gas pressure washer for cars myself. Get an electric one that will do at least 1.2 GPM. 2.0 GPM would be even better. Presure wise between 900 and 1100 is more than enough. More than that and you can run the risk of blowing holes in the paint. The other advantage to most electric units is that they power on/off on demand so for cleaning wheels you can easily spray, add your cleaner, scrub with a brush, rinse the wheel, rinse the brush then move on. This is a good write up on a decent budget electric pressure washer setup. https://obsessedm3.com/car-washing-on-a-budget-our-best-pressure-washer-setup-for-300/

On the other end of the spectrum is the Obsessed Garage solution for about $2K. I'm hoping to bury one of these in the budget for our new house we are building.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/coll...tom-install-kranzle-pressure-washing-solution

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In my experience, chemicals are BAD. This is particularly true on Jeep Wrangler which uses plastic for a large part of it's exterior.

High PSI pressure washing is also bad.

I use mild soap and water ONLY, and I hand wash it during the warm weather months in my driveway when possible and rinse with a standard garden hose. I then dry with a towel, or if I'm about to leave I just let it air dry while driving. I have never had paint peeling, chipping, or fading and my plastic trim maintains it's color as the years pass by.

During winter I wash at the car wash bay in town because they have heated water.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Not trying to thread jack, but is it safe to do a wax the day you bring home a freshly ordered JLU? I waited about 4 months before I did my JL, but only because I got it in the dead of Winter.

I was thinking I'd do a quick wash the day it comes home and then go straight into a ceramic coating. I've been wanting to try that on my JL, but haven't had the time to do a claybar/polish first to prep an older vehicle.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WXman

I agree in regard to the use of a pressure washer. Can cause alot of damage to paint, seals and more. I avoid use of same. Rare occasion that I would go near any part of a vehicle with a pressure washer.

As far as air drying or air driving while driving. No, I avoid this. I found that doing this is a good way to get water spots on the windows and elsewhere that are impossible or at the least very difficult to remove. Much depends on whether you have hard water coming out of the faucet.

IF it is raining, I will wet wash a vehicle in the rain and then let it air dry... because the rain washes away the hard faucet water and thus no spotting.

First thing I do after blowing the vehicle down with a blower is to wipe the windows and side mirrors. I then carelfully, dry the drips, etc. on the vehicle with a clean soft towel. I shake the towel contiguously while using. I always start at the top and work down. I learned long ago to always, always start at the top and work down.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to thread jack, but is it safe to do a wax the day you bring home a freshly ordered JLU? I waited about 4 months before I did my JL, but only because I got it in the dead of Winter.

I was thinking I'd do a quick wash the day it comes home and then go straight into a ceramic coating. I've been wanting to try that on my JL, but haven't had the time to do a claybar/polish first to prep an older vehicle.
You will get various ideas on this.

From what I have read, conversations with body shop guys, etc...., with today's automotive paints and the application process you can have at it as soon as the Jeep hits your driveway if you desire. .

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey

gurneyeagle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi TT RS and 2017 Audi Q3
Since it's not a Ferrari, I would suggest simple hand wash and drying with a chamois. Griot's Garage has everything you could possibly need. Get a five gallon bucket from Home Depot or Lowes and order a grit guard from Griot's. It sits in the bottom of the bucket and keeps your sponge out of the dirt which settles to the bottom.

As opposed to wax, I would suggest a good synthetic sealer. Again, Griot's has one that will last up to 12 months.

Tip on cleaning bugs - use a damp dryer sheet. Perfect texture for removing bugs.

If you are going to go the blower route and don't want to layout the bucks for a Master Blaser, get an electric leaf blower, NOT gas. The gas ones tend to spew particulate from the exhaust.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@impatientray

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent gas powered blower.

bg56ce.png

This is my general washing process assuming I have a semi fresh coat of wax on the vehicle. I have tried many different processes over the years and so far this is the process that works for me. I am no professional or an expert, I just like to keep my cars clean and in the best condition possible.

1. Thoroughly Vacuum Interior

2. Wheels (Chemical Guys-Diablo Gel)

3. Foam the entire car and let sit for a few minutes (Chemical Guys- Honeydew Snow Foam) using Gas Pressure washer now (hose version SUCKS and is a waste of money)

4. Wash Car (2 buckets, One wash and One rinse) using Microfiber Incredipad

5. Rinse thoroughly

6. Use blower to initially dry car ( I dont use a gas blower but I have a Kobalt battery electric one that works pretty good)

7. Dry remainder of the car using high quality microfiber towels

8. Interior/exterior Plastic/vinyl materials (i.e Dash, Trim pieces) (Chemical guys-Silk Shine) using microfiber applicator and high quality towel to wipe down the surface.

9. Seat cleaning and protection (Chemical guys- Leather conditioner or Leather quick detail spray)

10. Windows working my way from the inside out (Chemical Guys-Signature series Glass Cleaner) using waffle microfiber towel

11. Tires (Adams Tire Shine)

12. Quick Detail entire car (Chemical Guys-Quick Detailer Speed Wipe) using several high quality microfiber towels to wipe dry. Just bought the Creamsicle spray… Smells great! I also use Meguiar's ultimate quick detailer spray and that works great too.

13. Apply Air freshener Spray (Stripper Scent:cwl:) Actually smells pretty good.

For my Foam/Soap I am in the process of trying out a few other products to see if I can find anything better. The honeydew Snow Foam works ok, not overly impressed with it. Doesnt seem to pull all the dirt to the surface as advertised. I am trying out Adams Car Shampoo and CarPro Hydro foam, Problem with CarPro's product is that its much more expensive at 20 bucks to Adams 10 dollars. My next wash I will be using the Hydro foam to see how it compares.
Sponsored