Sponsored

That 6MT transmission: I really like it!

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
Anyways, you guys are scaring me. I didn’t think much to test drive a manual JL. I’ve been so focused on all the other features, like when are the half doors coming back and why they have that darn new blind spot. I’ve been driving older model manual Jeeps for so long. Just didn’t think things could have changed... duhh... silly me.

The JK Rubicon manual has long shifts which I’m used to. I usually don’t need to press the gas (much) when going into 1st or Reverse even with my stock gears and 37” tires. I’m over 6 feet tall and never thought much where I put my left foot. Now you guys got me thinking.

Ohh and Reverse moved... oh no... it made so much sense to me to shift far right and BACK to go back. Now I’ll have to get used to shifting far left and FORWARD to go back.

In any case, I can’t wait and I’m sure I’m going to get used to it and love it!!!
I wouldn't worry at all about it! All this talk of dead pedal got me thinking too... I never really thought about where I put my left leg. It's just kinda there. I've had cars with dead pedals before, can't remember ever putting my foot on it. 🤔

I think the 4.10 gears of that Rubicon will be a more appropriate fit for the transmission than my 3.45s too.

As for the reverse position; I learned to drive stick on an '83 Volvo 240. Same exact reverse location, same exact pull up on the lock to allow the far left movement of the shifter. It feels completely natural to me, but that may be because of the cars I've had before....

Shouldn't take long to get used to. Hopefully your Jeep comes in soon and you can start to enjoy it with the awesome half doors and 6 speed!
Sponsored

LAWS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Silver JLUR
I like the 6spd better than the autos. Driving it 700 miles so far, the clutch is LIGHT. Makes my corolla 6spd feel like a v8 with how heavy (sarcasm) the no assist clutch is. Despite that, it isnt numb so it is very drive-able and enjoyable. The hill start assist is better than most ive driven, and the engine braking is superb when coming down a grade. Would like some more weight on the pedal and reverse should be at least as low if not lower than first as mentioned above.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I love my 6 speed. My only complaints are reverse as noted above, try backing a trailer uphill. My other gripe is lack of any pedal feel, might as well be a button. If I have the radio up and can’t hear the engine I have no idea what’s going on. All I drive is manuals and I stall this more than any car I have ever owned. But zero regrets and love it overall!
Have you tried backing up in 4 low?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Love it, 'cept for one small thing...

REVERSE SUCKS!

Backing my wife's Forester up the driveway is as simple as letting out on the clutch; never touching the gas.
2 out of 3 times, I kill the Jeep backing it up the driveway.

Then again, maybe it's the nitwit in the seat and not the gearing...
Try 4low. I’ve slipped the clutch in 2 high backing uphill too. I’m driving stick 40 years plus drove 18 wheelers. It’s not you.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently ordered a manual JL Rubicon (with half doors... woo hoo). I couldn’t find any manuals to test drive at dealers but didn’t think much of it. I’m driving a manual JK Rubicon for over a decade, and before that a manual TJ Rubicon.

Anyways, you guys are scaring me. I didn’t think much to test drive a manual JL. I’ve been so focused on all the other features, like when are the half doors coming back and why they have that darn new blind spot. I’ve been driving older model manual Jeeps for so long. Just didn’t think things could have changed... duhh... silly me.

The JK Rubicon manual has long shifts which I’m used to. I usually don’t need to press the gas (much) when going into 1st or Reverse even with my stock gears and 37” tires. I’m over 6 feet tall and never thought much where I put my left foot. Now you guys got me thinking.

Ohh and Reverse moved... oh no... it made so much sense to me to shift far right and BACK to go back. Now I’ll have to get used to shifting far left and FORWARD to go back.

In any case, I can’t wait and I’m sure I’m going to get used to it and love it!!!
I’ve had both transmissions. The JL is so much nicer. It’s like driving a sports car.

Sponsored

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Lack of dead pedal has not been an issue for me, don't actively think about it when I drive TBH, I'm 6'5.

In my T-5 mustang reverse was all the right and back. In the T-56 camaro/corvette reverse was all the right and UP. I actually appreciate reverse up and left next to 1st gear (with lock out to access ofcourse). It allows quick changes between forward & reverse for everyday convenience and if you need to "rock" the jeep when stuck.

@FunWagon: had a 4.0 Cherokee 5-speed. New wrangler definitely doesn't have the off idle torque like that combo. However once you adjust to the dual plate clutch, it becomes 2nd nature. When this clutch eventually goes I'll get the CFII with the heavier flywheel to counter the lack of off idle torque.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
You can add me to the list of those who love the manual transmission In the JL!

I've got a 2021 post recall 2 door Jeep.

I posted my initial impression of it in the clutch recall thread after reading all the 6MT hate and complaint posts..... Glad to see I'm not alone in loving this thing!!

Basically, the transmission and clutch have been great; zero complaints. Same as everyone else though, I feel the Sport 3.45 EPA mileage gears aren't an ideal match. Im practically never higher than 4th gear.

I've got a set of OX lockers and 4.88s in hand that will be taking their place soon enough! :rock:

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 6 speed to anyone looking at a JL.
Did you get those OX lockers installed yet? What size tires?

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get those OX lockers installed yet? What size tires?
I haven't yet. I have some time off in a couple weeks. Planning on doing it then.

I'm going to be running the stock tires (Willys 32" mud terrain). At least at first. In time I may go somewhere between 33 and 35. Not in a rush.

Been playing with a gear calculator online using the stock tire sizes. The 4.88s will kick me up to almost 2400 RPM cruising at 65 in 6th (.72). That's a 700 RPM increase from the stock 3.45s with the 32" tires. That translates to about 400 RPM higher than an equivalent Rubicon on 33" tires.

I think that'll be acceptable and will make 5th and 6th gear very usable! I will be on the bleeding edge of having way too much gear for 32s though!

I used to run a TJ with the 4.0 and 5 Speed back in the day. 4.56 gears and 35 inch tires. That put me at 2250 RPM at 65 in 5th (.79) and it was great. If I put 35s on the JL it'll make it nearly identically geared to the TJ while highway crusing because of the 6th gear.

This 3.6 likes to rev a little higher than that old 4.0 as well though!

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't yet. I have some time off in a couple weeks. Planning on doing it then.

I'm going to be running the stock tires (Willys 32" mud terrain). At least at first. In time I may go somewhere between 33 and 35. Not in a rush.

Been playing with a gear calculator online using the stock tire sizes. The 4.88s will kick me up to almost 2400 RPM cruising at 65 in 6th (.72). That's a 700 RPM increase from the stock 3.45s with the 32" tires. That translates to about 400 RPM higher than an equivalent Rubicon on 33" tires.

I think that'll be acceptable and will make 5th and 6th gear very usable! I will be on the bleeding edge of having way too much gear for 32s though!

I used to run a TJ with the 4.0 and 5 Speed back in the day. 4.56 gears and 35 inch tires. That put me at 2250 RPM at 65 in 5th (.79) and it was great. If I put 35s on the JL it'll make it nearly identically geared to the TJ while highway crusing because of the 6th gear.

This 3.6 likes to rev a little higher than that old 4.0 as well though!
I ask, my next thing will be a rear OX for my JL. Wondering if you had and tips/experience

Im running 315/70r17 on 4.56 gears. I think its perfect right now. But 4.88 would be nice if i ever go to 37s

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I ask, my next thing will be a rear OX for my JL. Wondering if you had and tips/experience

Im running 315/70r17 on 4.56 gears. I think its perfect right now. But 4.88 would be nice if i ever go to 37s
I'm kind of a newbie with the gearing ratio. With a strong risk of looking completely stupid, what does it change, exactly?

Sponsored

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a Rubi and I love the MT, but the reverse is really weird. I had a lot of trouble backing my pop-up with it and the first time I backed up my somewhat steep driveway, I stalled multiple times. I've been driving stick since 05, so it's not like I'm new to this. Overall, though, I love the new transmission over my JK.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm kind of a newbie with the gearing ratio. With a strong risk of looking completely stupid, what does it change, exactly?
I'm sure someone can explain it more eloquently than I can... but the axle gear ratio will change how many times the tires will complete a revolution compared with the driveshaft.

For example 3.45 gears: the driveshaft will spin 3.45 revolutions for each revolution of the tire. 4.88 gears: the driveshaft will spin 4.88 times for each revolution of the tires.

Just like changing gears in the transmission changes the relationship of engine RPM to driveshaft RPM; the axles gears are a further reduction of driveshaft RPM to tire RPM.

The axle gears can't be shifted though, the need to be physically replaced to change the ratio of reduction.

The lower the gearing (numerically higher: 4.88) will require more engine/driveshaft RPM to spin the tires at the same RPM of higher (numerically lower, 3.45) gears.

Basically, in a given transmission gear at the same driving speed you are changing engine RPM by changing the axle gearing.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Im no professional. But it was the best mod I did to my jeep when i put 35” tires on it.

All jeeps (sport saharah willys) come 3.45 gear ratios in the axles
Rubicons come with 4.10
Diesels and some gladiators come with 3.73

Stock is say 32” tires with 3.45 gears. Drives good

Now i have a 35 snd heavier, to rotate the bigger tires i change the gears in the axles which “increases” power by more revolutions at same rpm etc.

Its an expensive upgrade but worth it if you can justify it, makes it much nicer to drive everyday. Especially with the manual trans

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
6MT? You mean 5MT? ;)

2 weeks and ~600 miles, no regrets so far. I enjoy shifting my own gears with the manual transmission. My only gripe (minor) is the gearing. I only use gears 1-3 around town, and cruising at 70 on the highway 5th is max and on some hills a downshift is needed.

I've read here people think 4.56 is the sweet spot with 33s-35s, and I don't see myself doing more than 33s, so maybe down the road I'll re-gear.

I haven't noticed any rev hang, I guess I shift too slowly :)
4.10 is absolutely the sweet spot with 33s. The gearing straight from the factory for the Rubi is perfect. In my sport (with 33s) 6th was useless, but 5th was fine. My rubi completely stock was perfectly setup.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Try 4low. I’ve slipped the clutch in 2 high backing uphill too. I’m driving stick 40 years plus drove 18 wheelers. It’s not you.
I have 4.88 gears and 37s, so its fairly equal to 4.10 and 33s (as in stock, not sure what you have), and my driveway is on a slope and I don't even touch the gas backing into my garage. I can basically dump the clutch and let it idle up my driveway.
Sponsored