Sponsored

That 6MT transmission: I really like it!

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How tall are you? I'm 6' and I definitely ran into an issue when doing my dead pedal where I felt teh reach was too long.

Before that I was just kinda keeping my leg folded a bit and my knee against the door. I still do it out of habit and occasionally forget to use the dead pedal.
I'm 6' tall but I'm all legs and I'm typically wearing Red Wing Heritage boots with the thick traction tread soles that make you feel like a foot taller. (exaggerating obviously)

I get it, those that like the dead pedal really like the dead pedal. Just like those of us that like a manual transmission really like a manual transmission.

All good, glad we have options.
Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Yes! Backing my boat back into the garage is a nightmare! If you ever figure out something to help out, please post it. Would a pedal commander make any difference or some type of throttle control that would increase voltage?
I would just burn the boat in my driveway rather than attempt that :CWL: . If I even park with the rear tires in slightly depressed part of the parking lot it manages to stall backing out. Only thing I'm not crazy about, but other than backing out of parking spaces and my garage (down a slope, if I had to back into my garage.... lol), so not a big deal.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
I would just burn the boat in my driveway rather than attempt that :CWL: . If I even park with the rear tires in slightly depressed part of the parking lot it manages to stall backing out. Only thing I'm not crazy about, but other than backing out of parking spaces and my garage (down a slope, if I had to back into my garage.... lol), so not a big deal.
Backing in a camper up hill here. Easy Peazy. 4 low is your friend. Won’t hurt a thing as long as your not making big turns.

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t think of any other reason my bite point would move. I’m assuming it is a mechanical linkage from the pedal to the clutch. Unless something is wrong with the assist?
Maybe it's heat affecting to the dual plate clutch somhow?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
The dead pedal restricts my foot from extending all the way to where I want it to be. Not sure how it’s not making sense

Fortunately for me the wrangler doesn’t come with one. Fortunately for you you can add one aftermarket.
You must be a very tall dude with very small feet, then. :)

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I'm 6' tall but I'm all legs and I'm typically wearing Red Wing Heritage boots with the thick traction tread soles that make you feel like a foot taller. (exaggerating obviously)

I get it, those that like the dead pedal really like the dead pedal. Just like those of us that like a manual transmission really like a manual transmission.

I have 4 pairs of red wings all in the <10 yo range. Finally threw away the pair of lace ups I bought in 1987, the leather was just worn through in several places. Great boots man. I actually wore that pair from 87 regularly. And I hike. Man, 30+ years on a pair.

Manual. Yes, thank you.

Dead Pedal. Nope, never have I.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Personal impression of 6-sp manual: It is great!

For what it is worth, I have a Rubicon with the standard 4.10 gearing and am still in the take-it-easy break-in-period.

Look, people will tell you that the automatic is better. It sure is... without question! It is also true that digital music is better than vinyl, emailed Christmas cards are easier/faster than paper ones, watching the movie is better than reading the book, Facebook messages are more convenient than a phone call or visiting someone in person, etc, etc.

I love driving manuals; great experience and in a Jeep it is even better.

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
I too miss the dead pedal (sorry @MarkY3130). But other than that, my two weeks of ownership have been so much fun!

As for reverse, I tend to not even touch the gas when backing up. Get it rolling a bit then drop out of reverse. Its too tall in my opinion.
The reverse gear would be my only complaint with the manual transmission as well.

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I can totally understand that!

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, I agree reverse sucks, but that's the only complaint I have with the manual.

I love rowing through these 5 (rarely 6) gears! And once I get my new exhaust installed, I think I'm going to like rowing them even more 😎

My wife has an auto JLU with the 2.0T, which truly is a lot of fun to drive; so smooth and zippy, but I wouldn't have my Jeep any other way. I hope they never stop offering MT.

Personally I haven't had any issue with the clutch slipping or being weird either. StillI have yet to do the new recall with the sw update though.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
You can add me to the list of those who love the manual transmission In the JL!

I've got a 2021 post recall 2 door Jeep.

I posted my initial impression of it in the clutch recall thread after reading all the 6MT hate and complaint posts..... Glad to see I'm not alone in loving this thing!!

Basically, the transmission and clutch have been great; zero complaints. Same as everyone else though, I feel the Sport 3.45 EPA mileage gears aren't an ideal match. Im practically never higher than 4th gear.

I've got a set of OX lockers and 4.88s in hand that will be taking their place soon enough! :rock:

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 6 speed to anyone looking at a JL.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4 pairs of red wings all in the <10 yo range. Finally threw away the pair of lace ups I bought in 1987, the leather was just worn through in several places. Great boots man. I actually wore that pair from 87 regularly. And I hike. Man, 30+ years on a pair.

Manual. Yes, thank you.

Dead Pedal. Nope, never have I.
Love it. I’ve currently got like 9 pairs. I love Red Wing boots about as much as I love Jeeps. A date night with my wife taking the Jeep and both of us wearing our matching RW 875’s is about as good as it gets. Bonus points if we’re heading out fly fishing.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I just recently ordered a manual JL Rubicon (with half doors... woo hoo). I couldn’t find any manuals to test drive at dealers but didn’t think much of it. I’m driving a manual JK Rubicon for over a decade, and before that a manual TJ Rubicon.

Anyways, you guys are scaring me. I didn’t think much to test drive a manual JL. I’ve been so focused on all the other features, like when are the half doors coming back and why they have that darn new blind spot. I’ve been driving older model manual Jeeps for so long. Just didn’t think things could have changed... duhh... silly me.

The JK Rubicon manual has long shifts which I’m used to. I usually don’t need to press the gas (much) when going into 1st or Reverse even with my stock gears and 37” tires. I’m over 6 feet tall and never thought much where I put my left foot. Now you guys got me thinking.

Ohh and Reverse moved... oh no... it made so much sense to me to shift far right and BACK to go back. Now I’ll have to get used to shifting far left and FORWARD to go back.

In any case, I can’t wait and I’m sure I’m going to get used to it and love it!!!

Shamwedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S | 2 Door | 6 Speed | Hydro
Love mine. I'm regeared to 4.88's and no complaints. I will say though, I don't get the fascination with a dead pedal. (both from the MT and AT people). Like, where do you put your foot? The dead pedal gets in the way of where I want my foot to be. Had a loaner vehicle recently that had one (not a Wrangler) and it drove me nuts.

An auto would certainly be more convenient for on-road driving, but I have to have a manual for off-roading. It is such an advantage off-road. (At least rock crawling)
What are some of the advantages?
Sponsored