Sponsored

That 6MT transmission: I really like it!

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I love my 6 speed. My only complaints are reverse as noted above, try backing a trailer uphill. My other gripe is lack of any pedal feel, might as well be a button. If I have the radio up and can’t hear the engine I have no idea what’s going on. All I drive is manuals and I stall this more than any car I have ever owned. But zero regrets and love it overall!
Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
try backing a trailer uphill.
Yes! Backing my boat back into the garage is a nightmare! If you ever figure out something to help out, please post it. Would a pedal commander make any difference or some type of throttle control that would increase voltage?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Hello there, bonjour.

Before ordering, i've read many times that the 6MT transmission was kind of messy or cumbersome to deal with.

Two weeks after delivery, i'm sincerly wondering why these comments were made. That 6MT's just fine! Okay, I admit the 5th and the 6th gear are useless when you're not on the highway. But i'm curious to know why or how some folks didn't like it.

Oh. One negative: no dead pedal is kind of frustrating at the beginning. But I got used to it just fine.

So, if you're one of those who regret that 6MT option, what's the issues you came up with?
No regrets, just find the clutch action more cumbersome than other manual transmissions. Great word choice!

drshre

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Shreyas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
outlandish.fun
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2002 Lexus IS300 (5MT)
Occupation
Building Outlandish (download on the App Store)
I also had a WRX in the past (2016) and that 6MT was a pig to deal with. Fun, of course, but very picky.

JL's rev hang is much easier to deal with, I agree with you.

Some folks who own a 2020 WRX say Subie worked a lot on that transmission to minimize that neverending rev hang, however. Never drove it but it seems Subie got a grip on it.
I've also noticed that the engine only rev hangs if you're in neutral (and on the clutch). So the way I get it to drop back down is shift the gear lever into whichever gear you want to be in! It's much easier on the ears this way lol

Sponsored

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Test drove a 6MT when I got my first 2-door JL. I thought it was a good transmission, but wasn't happy about no dead pedal (previously coming from a GTI and a Fiesta ST, so it was a shock to my brain).

Test drove one again when looking for my JLUR and I actually feel like I liked it even more. Both were Rubicons, but the from before was pre-recall and the one I drove a few weeks ago was definitely a '21/post-recall. Dead pedal didn't bother me like before, but between my wife not being super comfortable driving MT and me still being a novice wheeler, I didn't want to risk crap habits and add a potential failure point due to my own inexperience.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
How can a dead pedal be in the way of where you want your foot to rest? If that’s where you want your foot, by definition, that’s where the dead pedal should be. I mean, am I missing something? It’s like saying « that fridge casing in my kitchen drives me nuts: it’s in the way of where I wanted my fridge! »
The dead pedal restricts my foot from extending all the way to where I want it to be. Not sure how it’s not making sense

Fortunately for me the wrangler doesn’t come with one. Fortunately for you you can add one aftermarket.

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
6MT? You mean 5MT? ;)

2 weeks and ~600 miles, no regrets so far. I enjoy shifting my own gears with the manual transmission. My only gripe (minor) is the gearing. I only use gears 1-3 around town, and cruising at 70 on the highway 5th is max and on some hills a downshift is needed.

I've read here people think 4.56 is the sweet spot with 33s-35s, and I don't see myself doing more than 33s, so maybe down the road I'll re-gear.

I haven't noticed any rev hang, I guess I shift too slowly :)

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Have about 1,000 miles on my JLUR 6-speed. I traded in my 2020 JLUS 8-speed auto because I was dissatisfied with the drive. Couldn't be happier. Maybe due to the 4.10 gears I can drop into 4th at 35mph, 5th at 50mph and 6th at 60mph with no issues as long as the grade is not aggressive. The gearbox and shift throws are really pretty good. I came from T-5 mustangs and T56 equipped GM vehicles.

Flywheel definitely light for this engine. Took a while to get used to it but now can launch from a dead stop on a steep hill at 1,500 rpm and not stall/bog. Reverse does take some getting used to lol.

When this clutch goes, i will upgrade to the CFII clutch with the heavier flywheel effect.

Heading out to do trail 11 at Rausch Creek with a buddy who has a JLU Moab auto. Will be interesting to see how both jeeps fair. Both on 33's.

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The dead pedal restricts my foot from extending all the way to where I want it to be. Not sure how it’s not making sense

Fortunately for me the wrangler doesn’t come with one. Fortunately for you you can add one aftermarket.
How tall are you? I'm 6' and I definitely ran into an issue when doing my dead pedal where I felt teh reach was too long.

Before that I was just kinda keeping my leg folded a bit and my knee against the door. I still do it out of habit and occasionally forget to use the dead pedal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
46k miles on mine and still love it.
I did change gearing to 4.56s early on, and wow, even better.

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Love it, 'cept for one small thing...

REVERSE SUCKS!

Backing my wife's Forester up the driveway is as simple as letting out on the clutch; never touching the gas.
2 out of 3 times, I kill the Jeep backing it up the driveway.

Then again, maybe it's the nitwit in the seat and not the gearing...

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
No regrets, but I am going to ask the dealership to bleed it when I go in. I have consistency issues with mine. The bite point can move around on me.
Also, I launch/balance at around 1500 on daily driving. That might be why I’m so sensitive to the bite point moving.
I do wish these were geared down further. I’m planning 5.13’s now, and will probably do it before I move up to 37’s even if it takes a few months to instal the lift and get the new tires. Like you said, 5/6 are pretty useless. My other car goes into 6th before 30, so quite the change.
If you go back and have this done, let us know how it turns out. I have had mine bleed 3 times and it still has this exact same issue.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
If you go back and have this done, let us know how it turns out. I have had mine bleed 3 times and it still has this exact same issue.
I can’t think of any other reason my bite point would move. I’m assuming it is a mechanical linkage from the pedal to the clutch. Unless something is wrong with the assist?
Sponsored