Sponsored

That’s a new one! JL electronics freak out while driving?

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; R1200GSA; Goldwing
Sitting in light traffic on my way home from work, and I hear a chime. Immediately lose power steering, and followed by at least five seconds of interior lighting - gauges, shifter, stereo, etc., all flashing light and dark, engine fan full blast. Instrument cluster flashing pretty much every error possible (0.5 seconds per), all warning lights turn on.

Pulled over and restarted, and engine light is on, but everything is back to normal except start/stop is disabled.

Anyone experienced this? Wouldn’t want that to happen on the highway...

19 JLUR, 20k km, no electrical mods done.

Edit -temps all appeared in-spec when restarted.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Check fuses first. Make sure they are all seated in, firmly.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
2.0T or 3.6?

I read a bad ground strap on the 2.0 or Bad ESS battery on the 3.6 could cause issues. Bring it in to the dealer.

OP
OP
GibbonsMonkey

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; R1200GSA; Goldwing
2.0T or 3.6?

I read a bad ground strap on the 2.0 or Bad ESS battery on the 3.6 could cause issues. Bring it in to the dealer.
It’s the 3.6. Already talking with dealer, but I know electrical issues can be tough to troubleshoot.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Agree that it can be a symptom of bad ESS battery with the 3.6

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s the 3.6. Already talking with dealer, but I know electrical issues can be tough to troubleshoot.
I talked to someone very credible and knowledgable at FCA. They said something like 40% of all warranty claims are due to bad ESS batteries, main batteries, or charging issues. When they go bad all kinds of seemingly unrelated faults show up. My bet is a bad ESS battery and/or a main battery. Hopefully they diagnose it quickly and get you back on the road asap.

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
I talked to someone very credible and knowledgable at FCA. They said something like 40% of all warranty claims are due to bad ESS batteries, main batteries, or charging issues. When they go bad all kinds of seemingly unrelated faults show up. My bet is a bad ESS battery and/or a main battery. Hopefully they diagnose it quickly and get you back on the road asap.
This makes some good sense. Cars are basically computers and everytime an electronic device is acting unusual we turn it off and on, or restart them.

cool_it

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ballardphotos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon; 2008 Liberty
Occupation
Fire Protection / Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sitting in light traffic on my way home from work, and I hear a chime. Immediately lose power steering, and followed by at least five seconds of interior lighting - gauges, shifter, stereo, etc., all flashing light and dark, engine fan full blast. Instrument cluster flashing pretty much every error possible (0.5 seconds per), all warning lights turn on.

Pulled over and restarted, and engine light is on, but everything is back to normal except start/stop is disabled.

Anyone experienced this? Wouldn’t want that to happen on the highway...

19 JLUR, 20k km, no electrical mods done.

Edit -temps all appeared in-spec when restarted.
That's what I went through, caught it on video,

I have 23k miles on it now and hasn't acted up since replacing the wire harness for the sway bar disconnect.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

I have 23k miles on it now and hasn't acted up since replacing the wire harness for the sway bar disconnect.
Lot of pressure on those tires.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Another :like: for the basic Sport S. I agree with @viper88 , it's probably ESS related. Good luck tracking it down. But I'd definitely check the ESS.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Always start with the simple. Test both batteries, and not with a voltmeter, they need to be disconnected from the circuit and load tested. And if one is showing any weakness, push for having them both replaced, otherwise you're likely to have this issue pop up again shortly down the road. A good battery won't stay that way for long, after being a crutch for a weak one.

OP
OP
GibbonsMonkey

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; R1200GSA; Goldwing

That looks similar from what I see in the video, but slower than I experienced. How did they narrow it down to that harness? I was actually hoping it would be something like fuses or batteries.

cool_it

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ballardphotos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon; 2008 Liberty
Occupation
Fire Protection / Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That looks similar from what I see in the video, but slower than I experienced. How did they narrow it down to that harness? I was actually hoping it would be something like fuses or batteries.
When it first occurred, forum members directed me to the fuses and they were all tight. I had to tow it to the first shop because it would no longer recognize the FOB. The Jeep ended up in two different shops for 30 days. The first shop, in Virginia, claimed to had gone through all of the harnesses and magically corrected itself. 1 month later in PA is when I shot the video. The second dealer performed a lot of tests and diligently traced it to the front. The mechanic honed in on the swaybar disconnect assembly and unplugged it and drove it for several days. He felt he could turn the problem on and off and ordered a replacement assembly only to find out after replacing it, it happened again. Then narrowed it down to the harness and replaced it and returned the vehicle. The dealers put 300+ miles on it while troubleshooting it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When it first occurred, forum members directed me to the fuses and they were all tight. I had to tow it to the first shop because it would no longer recognize the FOB. The Jeep ended up in two different shops for 30 days. The first shop, in Virginia, claimed to had gone through all of the harnesses and magically corrected itself. 1 month later in PA is when I shot the video. The second dealer performed a lot of tests and diligently traced it to the front. The mechanic honed in on the swaybar disconnect assembly and unplugged it and drove it for several days. He felt he could turn the problem on and off and ordered a replacement assembly only to find out after replacing it, it happened again. Then narrowed it down to the harness and replaced it and returned the vehicle. The dealers put 300+ miles on it while troubleshooting it.
You have to be at or really close to lemon law.
Sponsored