Thanks - Our new Rubicon with Tire Delete and New Shoes

marc2828

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan Turbo, Lexus GX, Audi Q3
Thanks to many on this forum for ordering suggestions, wheels, dealer recommendations, and details on tire delete ideas. So far, bought a steel bumpered Rubicon with most options and deleted rear tire, and put on Method 312 17x9 -12mm offset, with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Jeep handles great around turns with wider stance. Feels more stable to me and a little more comfortable letting my teenage drivers take it around town.

20191231_163506.jpg

20191231_163544.jpg

20191231_163408.jpg

20191231_163414.jpg

20191231_163434.jpg
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am new to the Jeep world. I should probably understand the “spare delete” concept.

it looks good and saves some weight but why did you decide to go this route?

OP
OP

marc2828

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am new to the Jeep world. I should probably understand the “spare delete” concept.

it looks good and saves some weight but why did you decide to go this route?
I wanted 35" tires and felt the 5th tire blocked too much of rear window. Also, the larger tire required a reinforced tailgate. So it saved us money on multiple items and I think looks more unique. Lastly, the weight of the larger wheels is substantial and none of us would be able to change the tire in the event of a flat. So really no reason to spend the money on a 5th heavy window blocking tire.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I wanted 35" tires and felt the 5th tire blocked too much of rear window. Also, the larger tire required a reinforced tailgate. So it saved us money on multiple items and I think looks more unique. Lastly, the weight of the larger wheels is substantial and none of us would be able to change the tire in the event of a flat. So really no reason to spend the money on a 5th heavy window blocking tire.
Thank you for this.

I have thought about the weight and a flat. I could change it but, it but my wife could not. While she can deadlift 110 pounds at the gym (she weighs 110 and is 5’1”) I would imagine that its near impossible for her to change a 35” tire given its girth. If I wasn’t nearby, the AAA man likely could change it if she was alone in the Jeep.

If you do get a flat, are you carrying a tire puncture repair kit or are you simply planning on calling for a tow? What are your thoughts there?

OP
OP

marc2828

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for this.

I have thought about the weight and a flat. I could change it but, it but my wife could not. While she can deadlift 110 pounds at the gym (she weighs 110 and is 5’1”) I would imagine that its near impossible for her to change a 35” tire given its girth. If I wasn’t nearby, the AAA man likely could change it if she was alone in the Jeep.

If you do get a flat, are you carrying a tire puncture repair kit or are you simply planning on calling for a tow? What are your thoughts there?
I do not want to jinx myself here, but these tires are very, very thick...in terms of side wall and tread. I think chances of a flat around town are very low. Also, we all have cell phones to call for help. I think it is a low risk.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Looks great! Probably the best I've seen with the way the various holes and stuff have been concealed.

I've been flipflopping on ditching my spare. I haven't used one, needed one or had one for many years prior to the JL (no spare in Fiat 500s). That being said, I have needed a spare a couple times... The one time I didn't have one (my DeLorean was missing its spare) it was a real bummer walking down the shoulder of a freeway in the rain to a Costco payphone so I could call someone for assistance (and the only one I could get ahold of was my ex-girlfriend! The groveling was epic.). Now that we all have phones in our pockets, it's probably less of a big deal, unless you're offroading somewhere alone. But, I'll be damned if that one time doesn't give me pause.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I do not want to jinx myself here, but these tires are very, very thick...in terms of side wall and tread. I think chances of a flat around town are very low. Also, we all have cell phones to call for help. I think it is a low risk.
Fair enough. That’s why I have AAA. I changed my own tire once (on a sedan) in 30 years of driving (road puncture). ....... another time I hit a curb (swerving out of the way of some idiot) and blow out two tires..... so, ONE spare would not have solved the problem,....cell phones make a world of difference too,..,, no need to walk a dark road for a mile to find a phone.

your risks, on-road, are probably low, especially if you have AAA towing or something. That said, I’m old school and despite my own stats (essentially never need a spare in 35 years), I’ll probably stick with it......

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I just did mine. Not worried in the slightest about a flat. I have redundant roadside assistance and a tire repair kit. Can always throw the spare in the back as well. Less weight, no blocked vision, easier to keep clean and easier to get top off....win all around.

9F95CBAA-C995-417D-ABFF-41C398AA8D46.png

OP
OP

marc2828

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! Probably the best I've seen with the way the various holes and stuff have been concealed.

I've been flipflopping on ditching my spare. I haven't used one, needed one or had one for many years prior to the JL (no spare in Fiat 500s). That being said, I have needed a spare a couple times... The one time I didn't have one (my DeLorean was missing its spare) it was a real bummer walking down the shoulder of a freeway in the rain to a Costco payphone so I could call someone for assistance (and the only one I could get ahold of was my ex-girlfriend! The groveling was epic.). Now that we all have phones in our pockets, it's probably less of a big deal, unless you're offroading somewhere alone. But, I'll be damned if that one time doesn't give me pause.
thank you. I spent some time thinking about this as well. I re-routed the wiring under the plate...just seemed silly to me to have it come from the side. Also, what are the other two non uniform holes for anyhow? I get the bumpers...which should be part of the whole bracket assembly and not "holes" in the tailgate (Jeep engineers?) You have to be a bit handy and delicate to work with the clips and plastic plugs to the camera, and have a bunch of different Torx sets. Not a tough install for a handy person. I bought the reflectors on Amazon.

Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm all about the spare delete, bit the wife ain't having it. It's her daily driver.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What do you mean none of us would be able to change the tire in the event of a flat? I carried a 35 and now a 37 on my reinforced tailgate and I’ve had to change mine on the side of the road. I’ll concede that It’s definitely not easy given that it weighs 125 but I’m glad I had it with me because I also had my wife and two small kids with me. I’ve had a lot of Wranglers over the years and i’ve gone back-and-forth on this issue and million times but always air on the side of caution and make the accommodations to carry a full size spare with me regardless, I do a lot of trail riding and long trips with the family so having a full size spare is a must for me. My Rubi is lifted with 37’s so I got the Mopar jack block to raise the factory jack 5” off the ground in order to lift the Jeep. Again, changing such a heavy tire on the side of the road is no easy task, but it can be done! And it’s a hell of a lot better then getting stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere!!

*****Apparently I’ve been blocked from replying to the thread because the picnic basket crowd on here gets easily butt hurt and offended when you disagree with them and their ideas. I guess the new “manly” thing to do is call for help when you get stranded on the side of the road or trail with your wife and children!! Good luck with thatl!!*****

View attachment 267004

View attachment 267006

Last edited:

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good for around town driving only. Here is an experience I had last year.

Picking up my daughter from college in her new Jeep Compass to go to my father-in-laws funeral on a Friday night and got a blow out on the highway in the middle of nowhere. No problem, just put the spare on. Wrong, no spare, used the fix a flat and it just blew out the hole in the tire. A really bad time to find out they do not put spare tires in a 4wd Jeep. Called road side assistance and all they can do is tow you to a dealer. I had a hard time finding anywhere open to fix the flat and couldn’t find any rental car places open. It was a horrible experience. I will never drive without a spare if possible. The next day I bought one for the compass. I’m just glad I was driving it and not my daughter in the middle of nowhere getting in a tow truck. I would have been going to get her.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sidewalls are tough with regards to rocks, not thick or capable of dealing with a screw or nail. Regardless a lot of us that wheel our jeeps don’t understand this concept because we’ve been in situations that required a spare just to get home.