JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
another Youtube video for those of us who haven't had enough, I liked this video it seems honest and straight forward like most of their videos.
discuss as you will!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLTruman

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like TFL but this is super click-bait..
I agree too, but what is Youtube without click bait?

I am however looking forward to the three modified vehicles they're running soon, Jeep, Ford, Land Rover

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like another fair and balanced video from TFL.

I can’t really argue with many of Tommy’s statements.

Perhaps the only one is that that Bronco hardtop is likely going to remain problematic even after Ford addresses the glaring quality issues.

Bronco’s wide open roof doesn’t seem to offer the necessary integrity to prevent all those fiberglass panels from rubbing, squeaking, rattling and/or leaking.

And this is the height of summer. All the novelty of the wide open roof will wear off the moment winter comes and Bronco owners can’t keep the interior of their $70,000 rigs dry.

Bronco’s hardtop makes Wrangler’s look like a masterpiece in fool-proof solidity! 😫

OP
OP
JLTruman

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
how long until the aftermarket sells fixes for hardtop broncos?

I was somewhat shocked when Tommy said the wrangler has the best stereo/sound between the two, and then he continued to say more brands... I put some 8 inch subs in my JL and I like the sound but some might disagree with Jeeps audio.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The aftermarket industry could not fix Wrangler’s leaky roofs for the first 77 years.

Bronco’s removable top is even more extreme: it is much larger, and contains many more separate pieces.

My hunch is that wide open roof is going to remain Bronco’s Achilles heel, even after Ford addresses the current manufacturing issues.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
They can fix em, silicone baby :)

OP
OP
JLTruman

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The aftermarket industry could not fix Wrangler’s leaky roofs for the first 77 years.

Bronco’s removable top is even more extreme: it is much larger, and contains many more separate pieces.

My hunch is that wide open roof is going to remain Bronco’s Achilles heel, even after Ford addresses the current manufacturing issues.
More pieces means more spots for leaking also and I didn't consider that, it was something about the bronco I initially liked.

I have a very small leak on my rear window(very little rain where I live but when it does rain, it pours) but its never been a real issue, and my sunrider has leaked but only in the car wash and I think I could fix it.

OP
OP
JLTruman

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They can fix em, silicone baby :)
I think Tommy said he tried silicone and a few other tricks and it still rattles a bit, granted he may not be a professional silicone installer, I was thinking some pieces of felt would fix the rattles but I'm pretty sure that would cause leaks

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
A little story, back in 80s, a neighbors daughter had a Camaro with a sun roof, was still under warranty and was always leaking. So she brought it back to Mr Badwrench, on the 4th or 5th time they used clear silicon and sealed it shut rather replacing the gaskets and checking the drains, sometimes they clog. My brother told her to bring it back and insist they fix it correctly. Not sure if she did or not.

I wasnt refering to apply the silcone spray, that may eliminated squeaks, I use formula 303 on all my cars on the door, t-top, convertible and wrangler gaskets.

I agree the hardtop as designed on the Bronco will be problematic.

But remember at Ford they circle the problem ;)

Sponsored

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The JL has the benefit of time to sort out some of its issues but to pretend like the bronco having hard top issues it’s first year is unique to the bronco is pretty selective memory. I seem to recall plenty of discussion about JK hard tops leaking in the rain and the same for some JL (albeit, not as many).

I wouldn’t buy a 1st year bronco for the same reason I didn’t buy a 2018 JL.

OP
OP
JLTruman

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A little story, back in 80s, a neighbors daughter had a Camaro with a sun roof, was still under warranty and was always leaking. So she brought it back to Mr Badwrench, on the 4th or 5th time they used clear silicon and sealed it shut rather replacing the gaskets and checking the drains, sometimes they clog. My brother told her to bring it back and insist they fix it correctly. Not sure if she did or not.

I wasnt refering to apply the silcone spray, that may eliminated squeaks, I use formula 303 on all my cars on the door, t-top, convertible and wrangler gaskets.

I agree the hardtop as designed on the Bronco will be problematic.

But remember at Ford they circle the problem ;)
I also own a 97 Ford F-250 light duty (gas powered 5.4L Dana 60 rear axle)
I havent had a lot of issues with it but my JL is absolutely a blast to drive compared to that truck, it does do work sometimes and my boys will all share it when they start driving even though my oldest would prefer any sports car from the 90's or 80's to that truck, he would also take an older Jeep too, I think its hereditary he likes things that go fast or off road.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only busting on the Ford guys. All of em have issues and the more complex the more stuff to go wrong. Of course go on you tube and look at the neglect and stupid things people do.

How is the 5.4 with the cam phasers? We had a fleet of super Duties and boy those could drink gas, work for a Utility. Now have some Gm and Rams.

OP
OP
JLTruman

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Only busting on the Ford guys. All of em have issues and the more complex the more stuff to go wrong. Of course go on you tube and look at the neglect and stupid things people do.

How is the 5.4 with the cam phasers? We had a fleet of super Duties and boy those could drink gas, work for a Utility. Now have some Gm and Rams.
I forgot to mention the truck only has 136,000ish miles and a new ac and new trans but no real other issues, I rarely drive it anymore unless I need to tow a trailer for work. I did have the dealer replace the spark plugs, they didn't want to, the service writer was telling me how "easy" it was. I responded with "if you mess up the heads then you get to fix it, if I mess them up, I'm in big trouble"

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I could immediately see that the noise issue with the Bronco hardtop is due to the lack of support that the soundbar offers in the Jeep.

Also, that hardtop looked just awful. Hard to believe the same company makes the top for the Jeep and the Bronco. Just goes to show how important those engineering specs are. I can imagine someone at Webasto saying "Are you sure you want it built to these specs?" Another thing to consider is that many of the Jeep hardtop features my be patented and Ford had to change some things to avoid paying royalties, but that's just speculation.

The biggest gripe he made about the Jeep in the video was the seat. All Wrangler seats are essentially the same, regardless of trim level. They may be trimmed or upholstered slightly different, but they are all the same basic structure. That is something that Jeep can easily address in a mid cycle refresh.
Sponsored