Sponsored

TFL EcoDiesel

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Interesting that he says there was no technical reason not to put it in the 2 door, simply based on market volume and resource management. That question was posed in tandem with the automatic only and its unclear if he also meant there was no technical limitation to a manual option. Somehow I doubt they will ever cave to market demands for either a 2dr or 6MT 3.0.

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I a
Interesting that he says there was no technical reason not to put it in the 2 door, simply based on market volume and resource management. That question was posed in tandem with the automatic only and its unclear if he also meant there was no technical limitation to a manual option. Somehow I doubt they will ever cave to market demands for either a 2dr or 6MT 3.0.
I agree, if it was just for marketing reasons not sure why they wouldn’t just offer it being that they are offering it on all trim levels of the ram. Being new to the diesel market I am glad that def fluid should last 10k miles for some reason I was thinking it was it was like 2500 or less.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Being new to the diesel market I am glad that def fluid should last 10k miles for some reason I was thinking it was it was like 2500 or less.
From what I have seen, it seems like they use whatever tank size is needed to get through the recommended service interval for an oil change. That way you just top it off every time you are due for an oil change and it becomes part of standardized maintenance so you're not going out of your way to chase down DEF fluid.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I think the 2 biggest pieces of new information there was the 450 lb weight gain and 3,500 lb towing capacity

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I think the 2 biggest pieces of new information there was the 450 lb weight gain and 3,500 lb towing capacity
Jeep is insane to keep that low towing capacity. First off, theres no reason this vehicle cant tow way more. Second, by keeping the 3500lb capacity, the vehicle doesn't go over 6000lbs GVWR, which means people cant use this to get the Section 179 deduction for their businesses. Jeep is missing a huge opp to sell to self-employed people who know how to take that credit.

Not sure whats going on over at Jeep these days. Between shipping sloppy steering gears and missing opps to make money, maybe it's time for new management.

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I do not know the towing laws well enough. I hear someone mention here that because the Jeep was considered a convertible that was the highest rating they were allowed to give. IDK sounds fishy to me but like I said I do not know those laws for sure. I think what irritates me a bit was that they hinted at a higher tow rating at the Show in Texas. If they were not going to raise the rating why not just definitively answer the question with the tow rating. Now it only bothers me a bit because I believe when the announcement came out with all the specs on all engine options it was listed at 3500 tow rating. I think most of us including me was hoping that was just an arbitrary number that matched with the other engines and as release got closer that number would increase except it didn't. Thats not a deciding factor for me, but would have been nice to see it go to 5 or 5500. Production cant start soon enough :time:

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I do not know the towing laws well enough. I hear someone mention here that because the Jeep was considered a convertible that was the highest rating they were allowed to give. IDK sounds fishy to me
I call BS on that theory. the Gladiator is just as much a convertible as the JLU, but can tow over 7k lbs.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I do not know the towing laws well enough. I hear someone mention here that because the Jeep was considered a convertible that was the highest rating they were allowed to give. IDK
Hummer soft top had a higher 7,887 lbs rating with the soft top vs 7542 lbs solid roof.

A better comp would be the soft top V6 Amigo that had a 4,500 lb rating

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I call BS on that theory. the Gladiator is just as much a convertible as the JLU, but can tow over 7k lbs.
I dont disagree with you, like i said it sounds fishy. I dont know jeeps reasoning except them trying to push Gladiator sales for the purpose of towing.

Sponsored

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Of course not. If they hold the flagship build to 4 door and auto only the people that want flagship are forced out of manual or two door and thus that's another tally the forces in the board room can use to excuse abandoning manuals and two doors all together.

Make no mistake it's not just sales that cause decisions like this. Think how much more simplified the production lines can be if they only make one body and one transmission going forward.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Jeep is insane to keep that low towing capacity. First off, theres no reason this vehicle cant tow way more. Second, by keeping the 3500lb capacity, the vehicle doesn't go over 6000lbs GVWR, which means people cant use this to get the Section 179 deduction for their businesses. Jeep is missing a huge opp to sell to self-employed people who know how to take that credit.

Not sure whats going on over at Jeep these days. Between shipping sloppy steering gears and missing opps to make money, maybe it's time for new management.
Towing capacity effects GCWR not GVWR

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
It also has a completely different frame and wheels.
The point I was making, was that it is not likely the Wrangler's convertible top that is limiting its towing rating. What point are you trying to make?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
It also has a completely different frame and wheels.
Precisely. The tow rating was never limited by power or braking capacity. The frame has to be built to prevent a decaying oscillation of the trailer at 85mph. Everyone paying attention has known for quite some time that the 3.0 was going to have zero structural changes that would allow for a higher tow rating. We also have several threads outlining why the actual towing capacity is 5000 lbs when speed it kept to 62mph and trailer brakes are used.

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I ordered the diesel and don’t plan on towing much. If it’s a major issue, I’d wait for the gladiator diesel or buy a ram 2500. I wouldn’t want to tow much behind a wrangler anyway, even with the unlimited wheelbase.
Sponsored