Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think something people often overlook, I suspect much of this tuning has to deal with emissions compliance too.

The reason why so many toyota drivers swear OV TUNE is how their tacoma's and 4 runners should have left the factory, is because Toyota had to calibrate their vehicles to certain restrictive standards knowing they will be selling millions of units.
Just my speculation.
Could very well be.

But my Tacoma was absolute shit to drive. So much so that I got rid of it after six months.
Sponsored

JeffCj7Jl

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, 2015 4Runner, 2021 JLR
I love my 4Runner. Actually more than the WK2 i traded for it. I didnt want to get rid of it, so my daughter uses it and I got myself a 2dr JL. In my opinion, the 4Runner is more of an upgraded XJ. Rugged, yet a little more refined with heated seats and more room than the XJ..
Jeep Wrangler JL TFL compares the 4Runner to JL Willys Sport. 85B69199-F38B-4CDC-BF73-0865B71FDDC4

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
While I love Toyota's reliability I test drove the 4Runner last year and for daily driving I felt the ride was comparable to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and the transmission felt outdated.

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
I think the previous generation of 4Runners (especially the V8s) were more reliable and better competitors to Jeep.
IMHO Toyota is simply coasting on their brand and has fallen behind in quality/reliability.
For my last vehicle purchase I compared the new 4Runner and new Jeep JLUs (I have kids so need 4 doors).
The newest JLs are so much nicer than earlier versions and donā€™t feel dated like the Toyota.
Main points that made the decision easy for me choosing Jeep over 4Runner were:
1. Price. I went with a Willys Sport JLU/6spd manual/hard top.
2. Manual transmission was still offered. (Iā€™m also really impressed with new Jeep 6spd. Much nicer than my previous Jeep YJ and not mushy like Tacomas Iā€™ve driven over the years)
3. Removable top. Too bad 4Runners stopped offering removable tops like their early models.
4. Iā€™ve read several articles comparing Pentastar V6 to Toyotaā€™s current V6 engine and the Pentastar scored higher for reliability/better gas mileage and higher mileage life.
Itā€™s funny because I was going to go with the ā€œboring-but-reliableā€ Toyotaā€¦but after doing a bit of research it seems like itā€™s only boring.
Another plus for the Jeep is that my kids absolutely LOVE riding in this Jeep (even my teen daughter who hated my previous old, loud, and ugly YJ šŸ˜‰)
Overall Iā€™m absolutely loving my 2021 Willys Sport JLU!

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
compared 4Runner to Grand Cherokee when shopping - but never ever entered my mind when buying our Wrangler - might as well do a G-Wagon vs Chrysler Pacifica -
Jeep Wrangler JL TFL compares the 4Runner to JL Willys Sport. Picture1
Pacifica all the way. Having a DVD player and screens in the back while off roading keeps the kids quiet. The G-Wagen is deficient in that department. Thus, Bill and Ted give the Pacifica ā€œtwo thumbs upā€.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Just bought a JL sport 2dr. Already own 4runner Off-road model with KDSS. On the road the 4runner easily wins. The JL 2 dr seems nervous on the freeway. It drives fine. Seems controlled. However, my 4runner on poorly maintained local roads is better behaved. This could be a function of the KDSS. Have not taken the JL off-road.

JGlanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JLURXR, Outback
Occupation
Dog trainer
Oftentimes TFL and other shows just fill some airtime by running or comparing whatever cars they happen to have together that day. No big deal.

Frostbyte

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392XR, 2019 WK2 LtdX, 2017 JK, 2006 XK
So, if we put U in a TRD we'll wind up with a TURD, right?

Just say'n...:asshat:

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Oftentimes TFL and other shows just fill some airtime by running or comparing whatever cars they happen to have together that day. No big deal.
Yep- and there ā€œ drag races ā€œ get completely stupid. Today we drag race a Dodge Demon vs a John Deere .

tecnic1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Just bought a JL sport 2dr. Already own 4runner Off-road model with KDSS. On the road the 4runner easily wins. The JL 2 dr seems nervous on the freeway. It drives fine. Seems controlled. However, my 4runner on poorly maintained local roads is better behaved. This could be a function of the KDSS. Have not taken the JL off-road.
I also have a 4Runner with KDSS (2016 Trail) in addition to my JLR. I don't really consider myself a fanboy of either truck, and I've wheeled the 4Runner a lot more then I've wheeled my Jeep, but I've done some pretty decent trails in both.

KDSS is really nice. I like it a lot better then the Rubicon disconnect.

There are actually a few things I like better about the 4Runner. It's a lot better on the highway, Toyota reliability is obviously a consideration, and in addition to KDSS, the Toyota Crawl Control is legit.

I'm fact, I think I would have probably bought another 4Runner before I bought a JLUR, but I really wanted the two door turning radius and break over. Also, I didn't want my wife and I to have his and hers 4Runners.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
I'm fact, I think I would have probably bought another 4Runner before I bought a JLUR, but I really wanted the two door turning radius and break over. Also, I didn't want my wife and I to have his and hers 4Runners.

That's funny. We have his and hers 4runners. Daughter wanted a 2dr Wrangler. The 4runners see commuting, fire roads and the beach. For tight Pacific Northwest trails we use my YJ Wrangler. It's armored with a variety of upgrades. Dents and scratches in the YJ don't hurt the same way as a newer vehicle.
Sponsored