OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Of course man :like: just pointing out the inconsistent logic in the argument. If online chatter has you worried be careful going out in public friend. (Before someone gets their undies in a bunch, I mean argument as in: a statement or series of statements for or against something, not a shouting fest.)
I would agree if you didn't go for "idiot" from the get-go to describe the good folks of TFL. If you don't wish a shouting fest (those are your words, not mine), my humble take would be to avoid this kind of language.

That aside, I did cross-shop for both the Willys and the 4Runner since I needed a good, reliable, 4X4 machine to get me through everything when we get 70 (yeah, that's 70 as in 7-0) centimeters of snow. Ended up not absolutely needing the size or the gas mileage (or lack of) that 4Runner offers. But I can see why one would be tempted by both.

Other reason: we got very old, reckless, dangerous elders drivers in Eastern Quebec. The smaller your vehicle, the less chances you get for a 75 year-old man "not seeing your car" and smashing his burbon Grand Marquis in your rig.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
i bought a jeep because I wanted one. But I bought it suspecting that, in a few years, it would fall apart thanks to FCA’s craptastic reputation.

MANY folks, including many jeep owners, who do the kind of “off-roading“ that I do (see the trails for pusses thread) — suggested I that I buy the 4Runner TRD and NOT the Jeep. They said that for me, and my usages, it would probably be a better vehicle.

I LOVED the Toyota‘s reliability, design, size, etc, but, frankly, the interior looked like 1995 to me. It just wasn’t as fun or current. I liked the JL and it’s interior design. So, I crossed my fingers and took the bet that the Jeep would be a reliable vehicle (and so far, it has).

when I go to sell the jeep in 5 or 7 years, I will look at Toyotas and Fords and maybe others. Hopefully TFL will have a lot more of these comparisons for me to consider and learn from.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I would agree if you didn't go for "idiot" from the get-go to describe the good folks of TFL. If you don't wish a shouting fest (those are your words, not mine), my humble take would be to avoid this kind of language.

That aside, I did cross-shop for both the Willys and the 4Runner since I needed a good, reliable, 4X4 machine to get me through everything when we get 70 (yeah, that's 70 as in 7-0) centimeters of snow. Ended up not absolutely needing the size or the gas mileage (or lack of) that 4Runner offers. But I can see why one would be tempted by both.

Other reason: we got very old, reckless, dangerous elders drivers in Eastern Quebec. The smaller your vehicle, the less chances you get for a 75 year-old man "not seeing your car" and smashing his burbon Grand Marquis in your rig.
I'm a little cavalier in my word choice, but I'm honest. The "shouting fest" was the example of what my post is not trying to do, but it was taken out of context lol.

4Runners are awesome vehicles themselves, I looked at them and the Highlander before we got the wife an Acadia. The gas mileage and limited seating of the 4Runner was too big a turnoff for the cost, also the dated engine and interior. I know the Acadia vs 4Runner is also not a good comparison lol, but I'd never make a video claiming they were. Toyota is a phenomenal brand with a reliability that I wish Jeep would work towards.

Gotta get you a plow sir! We had some serious snow in upstate NY for the limited time I had to be there. I had a 2500 Denali so the snow didn't bother me too terribly. I'm currently leasing a tiny corolla for the gas mileage and because I had a 2 hour drive to work (one way)😩, but I hope to get back into a Jeep very soon. My last one was about 22 years ago, a shitty white YJ with leaky doors and top lol.

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude
Which makes it attractive to a lot of buyers. That 4 liter motor and 5 speed transmission is very reliable and capable.
Look, I totally get it. When I think 4Runner or Tacoma, I think extreme reliability. But damn is it an incredibly boring and unsatisfying driving experience.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Look, I totally get it. When I think 4Runner or Tacoma, I think extreme reliability. But damn is it an incredibly boring and unsatisfying driving experience.
Oh? I had fun driving a friend's 6MT Taco last year. Nothing to knock off your socks, of course, but I wouldn't say it was boring.

Far from a CX-5 or a Rav4 boring for sure...

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Jeep Grand Cherokee would be a fair comparison to 4Runner IMO.
And FJ Cruiser was a great alternative to Wrangler. Too bad Toyota discontinued it.

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh? I had fun driving a friend's 6MT Taco last year. Nothing to knock off your socks, of course, but I wouldn't say it was boring.

Far from a CX-5 or a Rav4 boring for sure...
And I’m still new to the Jeep/Off-road world. Our JL is my wife’s DD. These are a few of the vehicles I’ve owned. So “fun” to me, may mean something different. I know, apples and oranges.

AAAB045C-F405-41B3-A065-F1223180F146.jpeg

E27646BC-7B70-47CE-9E26-B4FFC24E528C.jpeg

FCB22651-B0C6-429F-8D93-23BDC02F974C.jpeg

32427456-48E1-4182-BC27-B6C0188C6A7E.jpeg

D22A419E-83FB-4952-94BF-04C667C2AE26.jpeg

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
For me boring is good. I purchase and use my vehicles as intended. I don't like wrenching on the trails. It's why I own a Yamaha and Beta motorcycles. Very reliable and capable.

My 2005 GMC Sierra with 4.3 liter V6, manual windows, NV3500 manual transmission, and no AC. Only major modifications are a 3" knuckle lift and 3:73 gears with TruTrac which transformed it.

My wife and I are looking hard at a 4WD to get us up to the cabin in the snow and for me to hit the trails on. I'm more of a fan of the 4Runner. It's too big for her. She wants something compact so the 2 door Rubicon is a no brainer.

I am worried a bit about the quality issues of a Wrangler. But I think it's capable to do the 200,000 to 300,000 mile distance I have come to expect in my vehicles. It's just a matter of downtime and cost of ownership that concerns me.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I see JKs all the time listed used pushing 200k miles with the 3.8 and the 3.6. I see no reason why the JL wouldn’t do it. I’m sure there are those with over 100k already.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It's just a matter of downtime and cost of ownership that concerns me.
In my experience, after having owned Wranglers for the past 13 years, cost of ownership is low as long as you can keep a lid on mods.

Wrangler’s insurance and depreciation costs are among the lowest in the industry. Maintenance costs are also below average.

Where Wrangler costs normally stick out is in fuel and in accessories.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
That Toyota is SERIOUSLY UGLY. They are not comparable, other than having four wheels, what's the point of "comparing" these 2 very different form and function vehicles ??
That's your subjective opinion on it being "seriously ugly". I didn't like the looks at first glance but over time, the look definitely grew on me enough to want to own one. The 4Runner Trail I had was a great vehicle and mostly more reliable than any Wrangler i've owned. The biggest issue is the 4Runner not having a removable top/doors option. If it did have that option than i'd most likely be driving that now instead of the Wrangler I own now. I don't know how people can't rationalize the comparison between a 4Runner and a Wrangler especially if comparing a 4 door to a 4 door.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I’d look at both. The 2dr Wrangler might be what I want, but a 4 Runner might be what my lifestyle actually calls for.

If I was buying a vehicle purely for off road, it would be no contest. But the reality is that I need to drive to Home Depot via a highway far more often.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Which makes it attractive to a lot of buyers. That 4 liter motor and 5 speed transmission is very reliable and capable.
Former 5th Gen 4Runner owner here. The 5-speed genuinely sucks. Gearing is bad. Programming is bad. Shifts are harsh.

Love the 4.0L. That engine with the Wrangler's 8-speed would be tremendous.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I’d look at both. The 2dr Wrangler might be what I want, but a 4 Runner might be what my lifestyle actually calls for.

If I was buying a vehicle purely for off road, it would be no contest. But the reality is that I need to drive to Home Depot via a highway far more often.
https://www.smsparts.com/
Don't count the jeep out just yet!
Sponsored