OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
That Toyota is SERIOUSLY UGLY. They are not comparable, other than having four wheels, what's the point of "comparing" these 2 very different form and function vehicles ??
Mainly because a ton of folks cross-shop for these, no matter how one feels about it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Mainly because a ton of folks cross-shop for these, no matter how one feels about it.
Including me. when I bought, I wanted a Jeep (first time owner) but also looked at the 4Runner TRD thing. I view them as “similar“ for many of the uses that many consumers would look to buy them for.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not much new on that video.

The abruptness Tommy describes in 4Runner’s 5-speed automatic reminds me of the 6-speed automatic in my 2019 Tacoma: it’s all-or-nothing; you get nothing or you get the engine screaming; there’s no in-between.

IMO it has less to do with the number of gears and more due to how Toyota calibrates —or mis-calibrates— these transmissions. Toyota doesn’t want the transmission to downshift to save gas; it will only downshift when you stomp on the gas all the way down to the floor.

It made for very unnerving driving, especially when trying to pass another vehicle on two-lane roads.

Automatic transmissions weren’t this bad even in the 1970s!

Sponsored

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
This comparison is between a TRD Off-Road PRO and a base Wrangler. Might as well compare a Cessna to a Boing 747. The reviewer would have been better served comparing a Rubicon or Sahara to the TRD Pro.

Having traded my 4Runner in on my 2020 Willy's, I'll weigh in on this. My 2018 4Runner was a great vehicle, capable of far more off-roading than I put it through. It was ROCK SOLID reliable, never seeing the dealer except for routine oil changes, an off road shop (to install a small lift) and a audio shop the upgrade the sound system. If I had to pick 1 vehicle to last 20 years the 4Runner would probably be it.

That said, the tech and dash are straight from 2005 (I had a 2018 - it has improved a bit since then), the 4.0 liter / 5 speed auto is not the quickest or the most fuel efficient. It is quiet and comfortable (depending on your suspension choices) It can hold quite a bit of stuff. 4 adults will have no problem going away for a long weekend.

My 2020 Willy's is new to me (less than 5 weeks old). Had a start / stop issue (4 trips to 2 dealers later it was fixed by replacing the battery). It is not as quiet or as comfortable as the 4Runner (comfort and quiet was GREATLY improved by replacing the Firestone M/T with Toyo Open Country A/T). The 2.0 L Turbo is MUCH MUCH peppier than the 4Runner (this thing can get out of it's own way). It is probably way more capable then the 4 runner stock (each can be built up - depending on your finances). There's a lot more after market stuff available for the Jeep. It is my opinion that these are 'somewhat temperamental' vehicles (we also have a 2017 Grand Cherokee 2wd). The 2017 JGC has Mopar's 'Lifetime' extended warranty (and we have never had to use it, thought a couple of sensors were replaced in the first year). I will be purchasing an extended warranty for the Willy's, given all the tech and the Turbo The Jeep has a higher 'fun factor' and "cool factor", top & doors come off. It just looks 'cooler'.

I would some this up by stating that either vehicle would probably do for 90% of the people that buy them. If the primary goal was transport kids, hope depot hauler, some off-roading then get a 4runner. If the primary goal was fun, serious off-roading, and modding the vehicle then get the Wrangler.

This might be summed up by a comment my wife made about the Jeep when she said "This thing has toy written all over it", and my reply was "That's why I bought it".

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Man who makes videos for the public trying to compare things which should not be is upset when public tells him his comparison is stupid. Don't put it in the public viewing space if you can't handle criticism. Even that guy, comparing a notice for guitar lessons to his own publicly viewable tweets is not even in the same realm of comparability. He can choose to not have his comments be viewable by others but he wants them to be, he's just upset when people don't join his echo chamber.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Man who makes videos for the public trying to compare things which should not be is upset when public tells him his comparison is stupid. Don't put it in the public viewing space if you can't handle criticism. Even that guy, comparing a notice for guitar lessons to his own publicly viewable tweets is not even in the same realm of comparability. He can choose to not have his comments be viewable by others but he wants them to be, he's just upset when people don't join his echo chamber.
You sure you're doing fine? This is kind of worrying.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
It always amazes me why people elevate these idiots at TFL.
J, Is there really any reason to name call? If you don't like the content then I recommend you to move on or simply don't view it instead of personal attacks to the content provider. Whatever happened to "if you can't say nothing nice then don't say anything at all"?

It's a sad state of what public forums and social media has come to. I make every effort to get something positive out of each YouTube channel. If it's not to my liking I just move on. How about we please keep it civil? Is that asking too much?

Including me. when I bought, I wanted a Jeep (first time owner) but also looked at the 4Runner TRD thing. I view them as “similar“ for many of the uses that many consumers would look to buy them for.
Yes JL and David!! I too am cross shopping the 2 vehicles. Albeit 2 different purposes. I'm not offended with TFL's content. They make both positive and negative as well as agreeable and disagreeable comments. I just take what I can and learn from it.

Heck I was even looking at the 2 door Bronco. But the selling price and unknown capability is putting me off.

Both 4Runners and Jeeps have an outstanding off road track record. On the harder trails Jeeps and Toyotas are the 2 most popular vehicles I see.

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude
I know the 4Runner is a quality SUV but Ive never really thought of it as a direct competitor. I guess until the Bronco, it was the closest comparison in the price range, though. The engine and transmission in the 4Runner is grossly outdated.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
J, Is there really any reason to name call? If you don't like the content then I recommend you to move on or simply don't view it instead of personal attacks to the content provider. Whatever happened to "if you can't say nothing nice then don't say anything at all"?

It's a sad state of what public forums and social media has come to. I make every effort to get something positive out of each YouTube channel. If it's not to my liking I just move on. How about we please keep it civil? Is that asking too much?
I once thought that way, not saying anything if nothing good to say, but that is the mindset that got us to the point our country is currently in. I'm not saying he's a communist or marxist :CWL: , but I will no longer remain silent so others can continue to feel validated. That's how we got trash leadership in the military, not letting the chain know individuals were awful human beings.

The positive I get from content creators is when I mute them and scan through the videos to see how something is placed, in or on whatever, before buying it. I am relatively civil, you just don't agree with my opinion of content creators. He has the capability to make better content and should come up with actual comparisons of value (Willys vs Bronco or 4Runner vs Grand Cherokee). He's essentially comparing a UH-60 to a CH-47, yes they both fly but their utility capability is way different.

Others can have a differing opinion to mine, in fact I hope we're not all like-minded because that would be boring as hell.

You sure you're doing fine? This is kind of worrying.
Of course man :like: just pointing out the inconsistent logic in the argument. If online chatter has you worried be careful going out in public friend. Before someone gets their undies in a bunch, I mean argument as in: a statement or series of statements for or against something (not a shouting fest).
Sponsored

Last edited: