Sponsored

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
35s and rear locker on a base wrangler, or st least 33s, would be a sick package that would destroy base sasquatch Bronco. Rubicon xtreme already gives 35s as sn option to the rubicon.
Rubicon with 33s is exactly what they used for the comparison in this video and it completely destroyed the Bronco. The Bronco lost all its fenders while those 33 inch tires were mercilessly punching it from front to back.
They had to call an ambulance for that Bronco.
The Rubicon then had a beer and all the female Jeeps just crowded around in awe and shot dirty glances at the fender less Bronco that had little Xs where the headlights used to be.
Ah, the feeling of domination cannot be equaled. It’s good for the soul to be better than something else.
BTW, check the sex of your Jeep before buying if you care about getting your gender choice.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
With 35s on the Wrangler, it clearly would have been the walk-away winner. The Bronco seems like a great competitor ....

I agree. I have 35s on my Rubi and it is truly amazing off road.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've seen several posts comparing the fit and finish of the Wrangler to the new Bronco, and each time I walk away thinking "that just seems subjective."

But in TFLs latest video, I see more where people are coming from. The video focuses on the squeaky roof, but I was more taken back by the poor quality headliner. It doesn't even look OEM. It looks like a solution that a broke college kid would come up with in my opinion. I like the look and layout, but that headliner looks like it's just degrading every time they touch it. If you take the top off with any frequency, or even leave in extreme temps, I couldn't imagine that lasting 5 years. I'm sure the aftermarket will address it, but that probably has been the biggest thing that's stood out to me in these early reviews.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I did Daniel in my Sport S with rubicon suspension and 33s. I had to take the bypass on the first ledge but i did everything else. It’s really only that first ledge that requires a built jeep.
I’m getting a rubicon suspension on my sport s and 33 inch tires too. Do I need to change out bumpstops

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I’m getting a rubicon suspension on my sport s and 33 inch tires too. Do I need to change out bumpstops
No it should be fine.

Sponsored

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I think Ford intentionally went with the better ride from the IFS instead of targeting hard core wheelers. The Bronco is going to be fine with trails 90% of owners are going to take it on.

And let's face it, there will likely be after market solid axle swaps available if not already.

I'm sure designers pondered this a lot.

padistedor

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JL, Mustang GT, VW GTI, SubaruSTI
I think the Jeep won on this trail but I wish it was compared against a two door Bronco not a four door.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
When I’m out trail riding with a local group, I’m surrounded by 2 doors. I’m usually the only one with a JLUR. Most are JK’s and TJ’s.

I do appreciate their maneuverability, but I have no issues in tight spaces. The JLU’s steering radius is pretty darn good.

The Bronco is a wide body looking thing. It could handle the Michigan trails, just with more trail rash.

My cousin should be getting his this fall, a 2 door. So I’ll get to see what all the hoopla is about.
I find that Rocks & Valley is tight. Tighter than any of the trails that I have ran in Michigan. Yet I can still do Rocks & Valley easily with my JLUR. I think that the Bronco will have a hard time at Rocks & Valley because of how wide it is. There are parts of the trails that I barely clear in width with the JLUR.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You don’t need a ton of work to make a JL good in the desert, a shock and spring upgrade is basically all the jeepspeed guys are allowed and most of those guys would destroy a stock bronco across the desert. We are talking $3k or less in parts that can be installed in an afternoon by anyone with a socket set and a floor jack. Even in stock form our jlu did fine in the desert at 80+mph. Getting the bronco to match the JL in the rocks is a whole other animal. The 2 biggest complaints about it I’ve seen are size/maneuverability and articulation(or lack there of). I’m sure long travel kits will be available, but like those kits for other ifs rigs, they will be $12-15k in parts and require a component fabricator to install. After you put $20k in the bronco suspension you’ll have the same articulation as the jl, but it will now be 6” wider and less maneuverable. It is brilliant marketing on Ford‘s part, but don’t confuse a ride along with a professional race driver in a sponsored rig with bopping along in a buddies JL who doesn’t have the skills or the willingness to push the limits in his personal vehicle. Stock for stock, the bronco is slightly better in the desert, and worse on most types of trails. Mod dollar for mod dollar the JL pulls away faster than it did in tfl’s drag race thanks to the ease of modding a solid axle rig.
True story.

RubiHOG

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2017 Harley Road Glide
It’s odd that it was only showing 8 miles of range at the start of the trail? Was it only partially charged to start? I could see losing 50% of the range in low range, but 85%? Something doesn’t add up. The only thing the bronco did better was having 35’s and comfier seats. How Ford claims more articulation is beyond me.
Ford's quote of more articulation is misleading. If you compare a 2-door Bronco to a 4-door jeep, it's ever so slightly better:

Bronco = 700
Jeep = 693.

If you compare apples to apples (4-door to 4-door), it's more realistic:

Bronco = 620
Jeep = 693.

And a 2-door Jeep scores much higher than 700 on the RTI as well, so either way you look at it, Jeep is definitely better at keeping all 4 wheels planted.

Please note, all that being said an RTI score is not the end-all be-all factor in off road capability, just a measure of one aspect of it.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Ford's quote of more articulation is misleading. If you compare a 2-door Bronco to a 4-door jeep, it's ever so slightly better:

Bronco = 700
Jeep = 693.

If you compare apples to apples (4-door to 4-door), it's more realistic:

Bronco = 620
Jeep = 693.

And a 2-door Jeep scores much higher than 700 on the RTI as well, so either way you look at it, Jeep is definitely better at keeping all 4 wheels planted.

Please note, all that being said an RTI score is not the end-all be-all factor in off road capability, just a measure of one aspect of it.
It is just 1 more factor where Ford tried to use fuzzy math to claim superiority. Like the crawl ratio, so long as you get the 4cyl manual. With the xtreme Recon package and 4.88 gears coming from the factory every bit of one-upping Jeeps design goes away. Crawl ratio, approach, departure, and breakover angle, obviously articulation, ground clearance, etc all swing back to jeep. Competition is good, raises the bar for both sides.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty disappointed in the Defender's performance. It's one of the vehicles I'm considering for my next purchase. I want the P400 straight 6 but the smallest wheels you can get with it are 19". TFL has 20s. That's just not acceptable. You can get 18" Steelies but they are only with the less powerful P300 I4 turbo. I've driven both and while the P300 is a little better than acceptable, the P400 is definitely the engine to get. LR needs to allow for smaller brakes on the P400 so we can get those steelies. I have no intention of doing that kind of off roading in a Defender (I have a Rubicon for that) but popping a bead and damaging the wheels on such a small obstacle is ridiculous.

Oh, and I want more of Tommy @TFL losing his mind. I feel for the kid, but that was still hilarious to watch.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Pretty disappointed in the Defender's performance. It's one of the vehicles I'm considering for my next purchase. I want the P400 straight 6 but the smallest wheels you can get with it are 19". TFL has 20s. That's just not acceptable. You can get 18" Steelies but they are only with the less powerful P300 I4 turbo. I've driven both and while the P300 is a little better than acceptable, the P400 is definitely the engine to get. LR needs to allow for smaller brakes on the P400 so we can get those steelies. I have no intention of doing that kind of off roading in a Defender (I have a Rubicon for that) but popping a bead and damaging the wheels on such a small obstacle is ridiculous.

Oh, and I want more of Tommy @TFL losing his mind. I feel for the kid, but that was still hilarious to watch.
In the new video with 35's it's not all that bad.