Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Isn't that almost everyone including 95% of forum members?
Yes.

I believe both Wrangler and Bronco will work for most who are looking for a daily driver and weekend wheeler. I never said Bronco would work better or worse than Wrangler.

Choice is good. Bronco and Wrangler have a lot in common, but a lot of unique characteristics as well. Different buyers have different preferences, but the reality is, there is a large group of buyers who could get where they want to go behind the wheel of either Bronco or Wrangler.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Lite brite is a circus. theyll trash any vehicle. Lite Brite show makes me wanna puke sometimes. Everyones on cocaine on that show.
Lots of folks are not a fan of the Lite Brite YouTube channel, and I know I won't sway anyone's opinion.

That said, they finished King of the Hammers, without disabling their vehicle, or OD'ing on cocaine. That's no easy feat.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Lots of folks are not a fan of the Lite Brite YouTube channel, and I know I won't sway anyone's opinion.

That said, they finished King of the Hammers, without disabling their vehicle, or OD'ing on cocaine. That's no easy feat.
They know what they are doing. I am not criticizing their offroad skill at all. I mean they do it for a living, they better be good at it lol. I am just criticizing their show that's it. It isn't fair to say TFL is a mall crawler show and Lite Brite is the real deal.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Watched a little more of the video. The TFL crew seems to cater to the mall crawler audience. That trail is pretty easy, really - a 4 out of 10 on the Moab scale. Waiting for Lite Brite crew to take delivery of theirs and trash it on some real trails.
TFL aims to review vehicles as they come from the factory. Most off road enthusiasts modify their vehicles. So, you could call that "catering to mall crawlers," but I think there is a pretty big group of buyers that drive off road in stock vehicles, without posing about it on social media, or considering it a hobby. They simply do it to get to places roads don't lead to.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
TFL aims to review vehicles as they come from the factory. Most off road enthusiasts modify their vehicles. So, you could call that "catering to mall crawlers," but I think there is a pretty big group of buyers that drive off road in stock vehicles, without posing about it on social media, or considering it a hobby. They simply do it to get to places roads don't lead to.
You can take a hobby at any level you want. This is common for any hobby, those who take it to extremes looking down on those who don't. Taking a stock, or lightly modified vehicle on a difficult trail is a challenge for many and that which they enjoy. That doesn't make them "mall crawlers". In fact, mall crawlers heavily modify their vehicles.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
That doesn't make them "mall crawlers". In fact, mall crawlers heavily modify their vehicles.
Some people like to call anybody who they perceieve as less awesome and extreme than themselves "mall crawlers" whether they have a fresh of the lot JLUR, or a JK with angry eyes and 20s.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Did you not enjoy the video ;) It was more an excuse to show a bit of Aussie wheelin'. Don't get me wrong, IFS is great, my car has it and it's brilliant on the road :)
Australia offers not just extreme stuff like this video, but also less challenging, yet no less rewarding tracks.

I’ve been up in the Daintree Rainforest multiple times…once in a Land Rover (which performed very well!). You’ve never lived until you’ve had morning tea on the bonnet of a Land Rover in a tropical rainforest! :like:

I’ve also done Fraser Island (twice), but, (unfortunately) in a 4WD tourist “bus”…still totally worth going, but would be better in a Wrangler or Toyota 70 Series set up for overlanding!

Flieger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I guess you've never been to the great expanses of the SouthWest. There are miles and miles of wash boards dirt/gravel roads/trails, where I'd take the Broncos suspension any day.
BTW, this was and is a as is test, not a what if test.
Wrangler Mojave

Sponsored

Flieger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
I think it's like our gas gauges. 200 mile range (or in this case, 8) based on previous results. So prior to looking at the gauge, was the 4xe in all electric mode off road or was that highway or country roads expecting 8 miles?

When my gas gauge says 200 mile range and the previous driving was on the highway, I'd expect close to that on the highway. If I'm now in city with stop and go traffic and quick accelerations, I'm not going to get 200, but maybe 150. My guess is the same with the 4xe. 8 turned into 3 because conditions changed.

Just a guess and someone with a 4xe could verify.
Yup.

8 mi range on the dash range meter is flat pavement figure, or real life battery EV. For instance the EPA rates the 4Xe at 21, but our EV driving has our EV range estimator at 29 miles. So I think there is a "learning curve" for that calculated EV range on the dash.

The following will suck a battery quicker than "normal"

-Aired down tires
-Up steep hills without the benefit of regen (all uphill during the EV mode)
-No braking regen opportunities
-A/C or heat on in battery only mode (sounds like a jet engine at takeoff power btw)

EV uphill is a real range killer. Lugging the vehicle up a hill takes a lot of power.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Australia offers not just extreme stuff like this video, but also less challenging, yet no less rewarding tracks.

I’ve been up in the Daintree Rainforest multiple times…once in a Land Rover (which performed very well!). You’ve never lived until you’ve had morning tea on the bonnet of a Land Rover in a tropical rainforest! :like:

I’ve also done Fraser Island (twice), but, (unfortunately) in a 4WD tourist “bus”…still totally worth going, but would be better in a Wrangler or Toyota 70 Series set up for overlanding!
I've done a bit too, love Fraser, going for the 4th time in September in the JLUR. The thing with the tracks here is once you get off the beaten track then who knows what you'll get, this is gunshot creek, North of the Daintree heading to the most Northern tip near Seisa. Break here and its a 1000km freighter ride back to Cairns or if insurance doesn't deem it worth the cost it stays at Sesia to be picked for parts to repair others. My XJ had 4.5" of lift and 35's, it was perfect for the trip, high speed corrugations for a lot of it but bits like this for some :) I reckon a bronco would do it just as well, but no better.... According to all the chatter this should be rubbish for this sort of trip, but it was the most capable in our group and drove it all no problems, soaked up the 100's of Km's of corrugations at 100kmh with a little air out of the tyres and excelled in the tough stuff, a round trip of 7000km from home (most sealed road but 1500km of dirt). Can't wait to get my JLUR up there, it's pretty much the same sort of setup as the XJ but without having to go so extreme with the mods :)

Anyway, it's a moot point, the Bronco is US only so we'll never see it here...

Jeep Wrangler JL TFL compares 4xe, Bronco, and Defender on serious off-road trail 313121_10150337821703170_117856134_n

Jeep Wrangler JL TFL compares 4xe, Bronco, and Defender on serious off-road trail 332596_10151067482833170_1487061554_o

Jeep Wrangler JL TFL compares 4xe, Bronco, and Defender on serious off-road trail 20210428_113051

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I've done a bit too, love Fraser, going for the 4th time in September in the JLUR. The thing with the tracks here is once you get off the beaten track then who knows what you'll get, this is gunshot creek, North of the Daintree heading to the most Northern tip near Seisa. Break here and its a 1000km freighter ride back to Cairns or if insurance doesn't deem it worth the cost it stays at Sesia to be picked for parts to repair others. My XJ had 4.5" of lift and 35's, it was perfect for the trip, high speed corrugations for a lot of it but bits like this for some :) I reckon a bronco would do it just as well, but no better.... According to all the chatter this should be rubbish for this sort of trip, but it was the most capable in our group and drove it all no problems, soaked up the 100's of Km's of corrugations at 100kmh with a little air out of the tyres and excelled in the tough stuff, a round trip of 7000km from home (most sealed road but 1500km of dirt). Can't wait to get my JLUR up there, it's pretty much the same sort of setup as the XJ but without having to go so extreme with the mods :)

Anyway, it's a moot point, the Bronco is US only so we'll never see it here...

Jeep Wrangler JL TFL compares 4xe, Bronco, and Defender on serious off-road trail 20210428_113051

Great lookin’ XJ! I think the XJ is the near-perfect overlander; very capable when modded, and not overly large. It will be interesting to see how the (larger looking, anyway) Bronco does on narrow tracks; I expect to see plenty of pin striping on Broncos that challenge tighter tracks.

I used to have access (employer supplied) to a stock standard XJ; really enjoyed driving it.

Post some pictures when you get your JLUR up to Fraser!

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
The new defender is such a disappointment. I saw one recently and thought to myself, “those are not offroad capable tires”, and this video validated my thought… nothing in the video surprised me. The rubicon needs to come from the factory with 35s on all models. The bronco did what I expected from an IFS setup.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The new defender is such a disappointment. I saw one recently and thought to myself, “those are not offroad capable tires”, and this video validated my thought… nothing in the video surprised me. The rubicon needs to come from the factory with 35s on all models. The bronco did what I expected from an IFS setup.
35s and rear locker on a base wrangler, or st least 33s, would be a sick package that would destroy base sasquatch Bronco. Rubicon xtreme already gives 35s as sn option to the rubicon.
Sponsored