First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Good video. They both have their benefits. Wrangler might be better for rock crawling while the Bronco would be a better desert runner. Hate to break it to you guys but ill say what I always say, it IS possible to like both the Wrangler AND the Bronco. I think its a fantastic new vehicle and i'm glad there's some real competition for Jeep finally.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Enjoyed that video a lot. The Bronco is clearly a contender with the Jeep which is great.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

I may have missed it but with IFS the Bronco’s turning radius should be bigger than the JLU? I was dreading going from our 2 door to the 4 door but have been pleasantly surprised at how maneuverable the 4 door is for parking, u turns etc.

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler

Great video, as usual.

SPOILER ALERT!

The Defender's 20" wheels see two flat tires within about 50 yards. Gets left for dead. Womp womp.

The Bronco is noticeably bigger than the Wrangler, can't choose its lines as carefully due to its size, and doesn't articulate as well.

The 4xe puts in a strong showing by running battery only for 3.1 miles of very gnarly trail. With 35s on the Wrangler, it clearly would have been the walk-away winner. The Bronco seems like a great competitor, but...

tenor.gif

MEGA SPOILER ALERT! Tommy drops an F-bomb.
Nice Omar Little drop

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Enjoyed that video a lot. The Bronco is clearly a contender with the Jeep which is great.
IMHO 100% stock the Bronco is the winner. The factory 35's on the Bronco equaled the Wrangler on this rocky slow trail. They didn't show how the Bronco is far more capable on higher speed trails.
Wranglers articulation was better but I didn't not see it going any place the Bronco couldn't. For mid level rated trails artuculation is over rated. Neither rig is capable of extreme trails without major damage.

Last edited:

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Finally! A proper off road comparison straight up. You get a good sense of the good/just ok of both platforms. As a 2 door owner I'll take nimble all day, as even the JLU feels huge to me on a trail.
The Bronco shows itself to be more than capable. Is it good enough to 'dethrone' the Wrangler?
No
It can, however, make a solid argument for a coalition government 😉

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Great video! The Jeep and Bronco did great. I mostly off-road in Uwharrie here in NC and I would be worried about having a wider vehicle. Even my JLU has cut it very close many times.

Also, someone should make Bronco trailing arm protection plates stat! It seems they hang pretty low.
My JLURD is still on order, but I’ll be new to off roading (with a Jeep). I’ve took my super duty wheeling in Southern California when I lived in California but it had a 12” lift and 38s. I mostly race Hare scrambles and enduros here in N.C. so I’m not really new to the concept of roading but I mainly race dirt bikes so it a whole different world.
I’m looking for a place me and my family can start getting into off roading together.
how is the trail in uwharrie? I plan on running a 3.5 inch lift an 37s. Any advice with that trail? I just came across that park while looking on the Jeep trail app last night.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
IMHO 100% stock the Bronco is the winner. The factory 35's on the Bronco equaled the Wrangler on this rocky slow trail. They didn't show how the Bronco is far more capable on higher speed trails.
Who off-roads trails at high speeds? Unless you want to destroy the trail that is pointless. Guess you mean like sand/dirt tracks? Even at those the 4xE would clearly win as it is simply faster. The Bronco is a competitor but definitely doesn't unseat the Wrangler IMO. And in 12 months when the Recon package is released, the Bronco loses all advantages it currently has. I like the Bronco for what it is, a roomy off-roader with creature comforts but it certainly didn't move a bar in off-road work. It does provide a 'boxier' feel that you would find in a F-series truck and the comfortability of IFS on the street which is 100% a win over a Wrangler. That said, off-road..again..didn't move any bars (let's not forget what happened to the rear control arm when it found a rock even with 35s)

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Until it’s time to go through some whoops or catch some air… then Bronco dominates. Is wrangler going to be better in the rocks? Absolutely. But Bronco is WAY better in the desert running stuff. It’s all trade offs.
Jeep Mohave trim (is that available in the JL yet?) does better than the Bronco on such activities

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Raptor owners in Southern California and surrounding areas.
True but those aren't mountain trails which the Bronco is aimed at. Guess I should have clarified with 'things that require lockers' :)

OP
OP

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Until it’s time to go through some whoops or catch some air… then Bronco dominates. Is wrangler going to be better in the rocks? Absolutely. But Bronco is WAY better in the desert running stuff. It’s all trade offs.
"Catching air" is a great way to break shit off-road.

I don't know anybody who does this IRL.

It's more a thing that bros do to stamp their bro card, and a thing people do in commercials or at organized "Ford Off-Rodeo" events. Experienced overlanders don't do this stuff. Been overlanding for 10+ years. Never seen it.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Who off-roads trails at high speeds?
I guess you've never been to the great expanses of the SouthWest. There are miles and miles of wash boards dirt/gravel roads/trails, where I'd take the Broncos suspension any day.
BTW, this was and is a as is test, not a what if test.

Last edited:

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
"Catching air" is a great way to break shit off-road.

I don't know anybody who does this IRL.

It's more a thing that bros do to stamp their bro card, and a thing people do in commercials or at organized "Ford Off-Rodeo" events. Experienced overlanders don't do this stuff. Been overlanding for 10+ years. Never seen it.
Who but you is talking about catching air.
Sponsored