Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I’m looking for a place me and my family can start getting into off roading together.
how is the trail in uwharrie? I plan on running a 3.5 inch lift an 37s. Any advice with that trail? I just came across that park while looking on the Jeep trail app last night.
Uwharrie has a whole trail system. The badge of honor trail there is Dickey Bell (probably the one you are referring to here?). The hardest trail at Uwharrie is Daniel.

I have a 2" lift, 35s, no lockers, and the smaller m186 front axle. I can do everything at Uwharrie except the climbs on the front side of Daniel. I wouldn't even think of attempting that, I would absolutely break something. Dickey Bell is non-trivial on the rocky climb but not too bad elsewhere. All of the other trails are pretty easy compared to Daniel and Dickey Bell.

With a JLURD on 37s, you can very easily do everything except Daniel, and Daniel goes from impossible in my situation, to challenging-but-quite-doable I would imagine (I have never actually done it with a more capable rig so maybe someone else with first-hand experience can chime in).
Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Uwharrie has a whole trail system. The badge of honor trail there is Dickey Bell (probably the one you are referring to here?). The hardest trail at Uwharrie is Daniel.

I have a 2" lift, 35s, no lockers, and the smaller m186 front axle. I can do everything at Uwharrie except the climbs on the front side of Daniel. I wouldn't even think of attempting that, I would absolutely break something. Dickey Bell is non-trivial on the rocky climb but not too bad elsewhere. All of the other trails are pretty easy compared to Daniel and Dickey Bell.

With a JLURD on 37s, you can very easily do everything except Daniel, and Daniel goes from impossible in my situation, to challenging-but-quite-doable I would imagine (I have never actually done it with a more capable rig so maybe someone else with first-hand experience can chime in).
In fact let me just tag @mgroeger and @chevymitchell and they can give you better advice on the front side of Daniel with JLURD and 37s.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
My JLURD is still on order, but I’ll be new to off roading (with a Jeep). I’ve took my super duty wheeling in Southern California when I lived in California but it had a 12” lift and 38s. I mostly race Hare scrambles and enduros here in N.C. so I’m not really new to the concept of roading but I mainly race dirt bikes so it a whole different world.
I’m looking for a place me and my family can start getting into off roading together.
how is the trail in uwharrie? I plan on running a 3.5 inch lift an 37s. Any advice with that trail? I just came across that park while looking on the Jeep trail app last night.
Uwharrie is the best place in NC. You can do any of it stock. You can basically run anything on the east coast stock. 3.5 lift and 37s make it easier.

if you are interested check out the NC Roll call thread. Or you can message me and i will add you to a text group where we plan trail rides in this area.

Sponsored

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
It’s odd that it was only showing 8 miles of range at the start of the trail? Was it only partially charged to start? I could see losing 50% of the range in low range, but 85%? Something doesn’t add up. The only thing the bronco did better was having 35’s and comfier seats. How Ford claims more articulation is beyond me.
I think it's like our gas gauges. 200 mile range (or in this case, 8) based on previous results. So prior to looking at the gauge, was the 4xe in all electric mode off road or was that highway or country roads expecting 8 miles?

When my gas gauge says 200 mile range and the previous driving was on the highway, I'd expect close to that on the highway. If I'm now in city with stop and go traffic and quick accelerations, I'm not going to get 200, but maybe 150. My guess is the same with the 4xe. 8 turned into 3 because conditions changed.

Just a guess and someone with a 4xe could verify.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Who off-roads trails at high speeds?
I guess you've never been to the great expanses of the SouthWest. There are miles and miles of wash boards dirt roads where I'd take the Broncos suspension any day.
Talks about offroading, then describe a road...

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
If I had to choose one of those three vehicles to take up red cone, my pick would be the Defender on bigger tires/smaller wheels. My reasoning: I like red cone, it's a good trail with some nice views especially when you get to the top. But it's one of those trails that just beats me to death. It is constant rocks most which aren't difficult to get over/around but are big enough to just keep me bouncing through the entire trail even at 15 psi with the sway bar disconnected. I imagine air suspension at all four corners could help smooth that out a lot as would only need max offroad height in 3 maybe 4 key spots.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If I had to choose one of those three vehicles to take up red cone, my pick would be the Defender on bigger tires/smaller wheels. My reasoning: I like red cone, it's a good trail with some nice views especially when you get to the top. But it's one of those trails that just beats me to death. It is constant rocks most which aren't difficult to get over/around but are big enough to just keep me bouncing through the entire trail even at 15 psi with the sway bar disconnected. I imagine air suspension at all four corners could help smooth that out a lot as would only need max offroad height in 3 maybe 4 key spots.
I am with you going with a better ride but the test is limited to as equipped and not what if's. Bronco was my choice.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I follow Tread Lightly concept and stay on designated trails(roads). I quest you just want to argue about something.
I wonder if there is a difference in terminology in play here. When I hear "it's a washboard road" I have no problem driving my Prius down it.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I wonder if there is a difference in terminology in play here. When I hear "it's a washboard road" I have no problem driving my Prius down it.
I have traveld several hundreds of miles in Death Valleys back county and seen cars with blown out shocks, tires and busted suspension. To each his own.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I have traveld several hundreds of miles in Death Valleys back county and seen cars with blown out shocks, tires and busted suspension. To each his own.
It's shocking how easily shocks can overheat and fail on washboard roads. Even vehicles with "off road" packages are not always up to long drives on washboard roads.
Sponsored