Sponsored

Testing out an Edge Products Insight CTS3 Digital Gauge Monitor. It's got potential!

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
TL;DR
The thing is cool
It looks good
Can set alarms, audible and visible
A bunch of different Gauge layouts (can tailor the colors to your liking)
You can see a bunch of PIDs all at the same time
It mostly works
Needs more testing
Cost is about $400
Something to keep an eye on

Jeep Wrangler JL Testing out an Edge Products Insight CTS3 Digital Gauge Monitor. It's got potential! 84130-3-a-b

Jeep Wrangler JL Testing out an Edge Products Insight CTS3 Digital Gauge Monitor. It's got potential! 20210131_205537

I don't know how I stumbled upon it, but there is a thread on an Ecodiesel forum where a guy stated that the Edge CTS3 worked on his 2020 Ram Ecodiesel. So I signed up and asked him what model number he was using. Turns out it is the same model number CTS3 I have in my 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Model #84130-3

I would have tried this long ago had I known it could potentially work. But the people at Edge products told me they had nothing that would work and also that they had nothing in the works either....I don't really know what to think about that, because It does in fact work. Do all the PIDs respond correctly? I think I can safely say no, but I need to do some more testing.

I ordered an extra OBDII to HDMI cable for the monitor I have in my Ford. I had to get a new one as the other was buried (BURIED!!!) behind the dash in the Ford. Well the cable showed up yesterday and today I put the monitor in the Jeep and we went for a little test drive.

These are the 10 PIDs I set it up to monitor
Soot Mass Load
AVG miles between regens
Regen status
Passive regen status
Turbo temp
EGT temp 1 (this should be the first sensor past the turbo, and I believe it is because turbo temp and EGT temp 1 were closely aligned)
Boost pressure
Battery level
EOT
Something that may have had to do with urea injection? I really have no clue on this one

There are a ton more PIDs to monitor, but glaringly missing was trans temp, though we do have the ability to monitor that from the factory.

I need to do some research and see if this can be updated. All I did was unplug it from my 6.7 and plug it in with the new cable in the Jeep. I had to reset or restore it before it would read anything from the Wrangler. Just swipe the touchscreen to bring up the settings and find the restore/reset button and press it there. It reboots and you are good to go. I imagine if you bought a new one you would just plug it in and use it.

In the Ford this monitor reads a good deal of standard PIDs and then it has some additional 'ADVANCED' PIDs. In the Jeep the monitor only read one single standard PID. The rest were 'ADVANCED'. Don't get me wrong, there are an ass ton of advanced PIDs, it is just something to take note of.

So I'm jumping the gun a little bit on this, but I was just excited to share the news that there possibly might be another option soon. Hopefully we can get Edge to focus in on this product and get it up to snuff for the 3.0L Jeep Wrangler.

The look of this thing is flat out awesome IMO. You have the ability to monitor tons of information all at the same time. It doesn't cost an Arm and a leg....ust and arm ;) It is a bit bulky, compared to how the Scangauge II hugs the top off the dash. And I realize it's size might turn a few folks off. The Suction cup mount while hard to get on initially works very well (could be weather related it was about 35 degrees this morning when I put it on and the windshield was a little damp/slick). It has held solid on the front window in my F350 for 5+ months. Hasn't fallen off in 100 degree temps, nor about 5-10 degrees above freezing. The suction cup mount is much better than the one I ordered with the Scangauge II (this was an extra cost and it sucks). The CTS3 mount comes in the package.

I'm not digging the PID labels at all. In the Ford they all more or less make sense and it looks clean. In the Jeep they all seem to read funny. So say the Boost one will read boost <<<great, no problem. But the vast majority of them read crazy like
DPF_PM11-Sta
You can click on a (?) and get a description which is really handy even when the PIDs don't read super weird but it still begs the question why do they read weird? I'm guessing it is all programming jargon and when the PIDs read normal it is because someone at Edge went through and made them so. The factory stuff is exactly how the programmers at Jeep left it. But again why would they make them read weird :movember: probably just one of those things you do. When you are a 'professional' you use all the correct terminology which thoroughly confuses everyone else not in your field. Anyhow, I'm rambling now.

I'll post some pictures at some point and add them to this first post. And I'm sure I'll be editing this post due to inaccuracies over time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I was watching a Youtube video comparing the iDash to Insight (the previous generation). One negative that came up for Insight was the sluggishness of the screen and some delay in booting up/displaying gauges). I am sure it may have been resolved in CTS3.

OP
OP
Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was able to update it. I didn't have the proper HDMI to USBC adapting cord for my laptop, but there is a wi-fi update function that was pretty easy to use. However, it did take forever. It seemingly kept hitting 17, 18, and 19% over and over on the same particular update file. But it eventually starting completing updates for different file numbers. The update didn't seem to do an awful lot. Some of the PIDs had better names. And they populated the standard PIDs with a bunch of the advanced PIDs. But from what I can tell there was no additional PIDs added.

PF_REGEN_REGEN_PCT-SAE
^^^ SOOT LOAD
PM11-SAE
^^^ REGEN OFF/ON?
PF_REGEN_S
^^^ I AM ALMOST POSITIVE THIS IS PASSIVE REGEN STATUS WHEN IT WOULD GO FROM 0 TO 1, THE SOOT LOAD WOULD DECLINE
PM11_REGEN-SAE
^^^ REGEN OFF/ON? (I'M HEDGING MY BETS THAT IT IS ONE OF THESE W9N'T KNOW UNTIL WE HIT 77-78 SOOT LOAD)
TCA_TINT-S
^^^ TURBO TEMP (FOR COOL DOWN PURPOSES)
PF_REGEN_AV_MILES
^^^ AVERAGE DISTANCE BETWEEN REGENS (THEY USE THIS INSTEAD OF A REGEN COUNTER)
ECT
^^^ ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE
EGT11-SAE
^^^FIRST SENSOR DOWNSTREAM OF THE TURBO
BATT
^^^ YOU WOULD OF COURSE THINK THIS IS THE AMOUNT OF JUICE THE ALTERNATOR IS SENDING TO THE BATTERY, BUT IT WAS STUCK ON 15 PLUS FOR THE ENTIRE TEST RUN TONIGHT? I'VE NEVER SEEN IT THAT HIGH? SO POSSIBLY SOMETHING IS GOING ON THERE.
EOT-SAE
^^^ ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE
Jeep Wrangler JL Testing out an Edge Products Insight CTS3 Digital Gauge Monitor. It's got potential! 20210131_205537

After the update I had to reset all of my chosen PIDs. I think I changed one or 2. Hard to tell, the naming scheme really messes with me. I did turn her little gauge display bars pink though, she'll like that :involve:

OP
OP
Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you still using this on your Jeep?
Nope, it went back in the Ford. I tried contacting Edge a few times. They finally sent me a response that said something like "If we decide to support this particular model we'll let you know."

Seems silly that they wouldn't assign this to someone on their team. I'm sure it would be no trouble to find a local 3.0L Wrangler that would want to take part in this development.

Sponsored

Jludiesel334

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU ecoDIESEL ( on order 11-27)
I’m looking for a gauge set up but I’m not a big fan of the scan gauge. Had these in my trucks before and really liked them.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm rocking the Scan Guage II. I love the size of it. Fits nicely in the tiny JL/JT interior. My only gripe is that apparently boost pressure readout is capped at 22.7 PSI. I don't know what's up with that.

RedIron Farms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR, 3.0 Diesel
Sent an inquiry to Edge Tech Support last week and received word today that their sister company Superchips is working on a monitor for the Ecodiesel Jeeps. There was no release date provided with the message, but the news is encouraging.

OP
OP
Compression-Ignition

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bank idash has way more options and readings, pages etc. and deff not as big of an "eye sore" on the dash.
I want to monitor a few things in a glance and a single 2" gauge size is way too small. If the IDASH was offered at the same price point with a slick mount setup and 2 or 3 extra gauge units I'd be interested.
Sponsored