Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojito! Wrangler 392, 2020 Neon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
We spent all day Sunday test fitting and swapping tires to try out 35's, 37's and 40's on our stock Wrangler 392! It was a long day, but definitely worth it to be able to see all 3 sizes on the 392 to help us decide what size tires to order for it. What size would you go with?

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
We spent all day Sunday test fitting and swapping tires to try out 35's, 37's and 40's on our stock Wrangler 392! It was a long day, but definitely worth it to be able to see all 3 sizes on the 392 to help us decide what size tires to order for it. What size would you go with?

Stock? With the torque it produces, I can imagine it suddenly getting traction after wheelspin = possibly not good. That’s probably another reason it came with 33’s. Though I haven’t owned a 392 Wrangler, I had a 15 SRT 392 and see it having the power to break stock parts offroad.

OP
OP
ShockerRacing

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Stock? With the torque it produces, I can imagine it suddenly getting traction after wheelspin = possibly not good. That’s probably another reason it came with 33’s. Though I haven’t owned a 392 Wrangler, I had a 15 SRT 392 and see it having the power to break stock parts offroad.
Yeah, we were just test fitting to see if they would fit. I was able to fully drive my Gladiator Rubicon with 40's and no lift.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yeah, we were just test fitting to see if they would fit. I was able to fully drive my Gladiator Rubicon with 40's and no lift.
Please provide pics if you have them. The largest tire size squeezed under a stock JT rubicon seems to be 37s

ETA: that I have come across and the consensus seems to be. Did not intend to come across as doubting your words

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShockerRacing

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Please provide pics if you have them. The largest tire size squeezed under a stock JT rubicon seems to be 37s
I tried out the 40's on my Gladiator before I got my lift and was able to actually drive it around, it definitely rubbed and I had to cautiously turn but it was "driveable":

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

OK, now have an even longer day trying different lifts to see which one doesn't let the 40s rub offroad.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

What does the 392 have to do with wheel fitment? Big tires aren't exactly new territory on the JL platform. I skimmed through the video, looks like there are various offset wheels for the different tire sizes, which makes it hard to come to any real conclusion.

Maybe we can get some 392 specific questions answered, like:
  • OEM Wheel specifications (what is the offset?)
  • bump stop lengths vs. non-392
  • shock lengths (at ride height, extended, & compressed)
  • Is the tire carrier different?
  • other differences that could change aftermarket accessory fitment

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Maybe we can get some 392 specific questions answered, like:
  • OEM Wheel specifications (what is the offset?)
  • bump stop lengths vs. non-392
  • shock lengths (at ride height, extended, & compressed)
  • Is the tire carrier different?
  • other differences that could change aftermarket accessory fitment
I would also love some detailed information about what exactly is different about the suspension on the 392 compared to a stock Rubicon.
Differences in the axles, the shocks and springs, the axle links, the track bars, the sway bars, the bump stops, steering linkages, etc.

OP
OP
ShockerRacing

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would also love some detailed information about what exactly is different about the suspension on the 392 compared to a stock Rubicon.
Differences in the axles, the shocks and springs, the axle links, the track bars, the sway bars, the bump stops, steering linkages, etc.
I was under the impression that the 392 used the Mopar 2” lift, but I was corrected yesterday. I was informed that it’s essentially just taller springs to increase ride height. I measured the lower control arms at 24” which is apparently the same as the JLUR. I believe the 392 wheels have the same offset as the JLUR wheels but I haven’t measured to confirm.

I’m hoping to get my JLUR and the 392 up on a lift side by side soon to try to compare the workings.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I was under the impression that the 392 used the Mopar 2” lift, but I was corrected yesterday. I was informed that it’s essentially just taller springs to increase ride height. I measured the lower control arms at 24” which is apparently the same as the JLUR. I believe the 392 wheels have the same offset as the JLUR wheels but I haven’t measured to confirm.

I’m hoping to get my JLUR and the 392 up on a lift side by side soon to try to compare the workings.
Thank you so much for the info! Yes Jeep made it seem the 392 was going to have a full Mopar lift kit but it became clear very soon that this wasn’t the case and that it was one inch higher instead of two inches. I’m glad we have real world evidence of that!

& yes the stock JL front lower control arms are exactly 24” long. This causes the taller rubicon to have a lower caster angle than the sport and Sahara. If they kept the same length LCA’s on the even taller 392, then it is safe to say that the 392 will have an even lower caster angle than the regular Rubicon.
However, everyone says it rides really really great on the road (perhaps better than the regular rubicon?). Since we know the LCA is the same length, I do hope that the UCA length or other geometry has been changed to give the 392 a ~6 degree caster angle.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Diesel JLU also have the increased ride height of ~1-1.5" over the 2 .0 & 3.6. Noticeable when parked next to each other. I think stiffer, & maybe slightly longer springs account for that. Control arms are all the same.
Sponsored