Sponsored

Test drove the Gladiator today...disappointed.

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Thanks. Yes, we checked the EQ. Made some adjustments with no improvment. I'm guessing someone either modified the stereo or blew out the speakers? It was pretty sad. It had a couple other cosmetic changes that made me suspicious, which was unexpected for a nearly new vehicle. Interesting that many of you are saying not to tow 7,000...I will have to look into that because our camper is all of 6200 lbs.
Just curious, is it 6200 loaded or 6200 factory specs. Because my 3500 trailer is 4700 loaded
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You are correct, you should include passenger weight when concerned about what that sticker says. I am only concerned about what the rear axle weight rating is and not exceeding that or the tires capacity. Do they list axle capacity on a small truck like the Gladiator like they do on a full size?
All passenger vehicles have axle capacity ratings on the GVWR sticker.

JT’s rear GAWR is 3,750 lbs

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392 XR - 2022 Power Wagon
I bought a 2015 PW new. Unfortunately I found it to be one of my worst vehicle choices ever. Contrary to what I was told and read the traction control nannies never shut off. I had the truck take away the throttle as I was left foot braking over a fairly extreme obstacle. I had to shut the truck off with two wheels in the air, and restart to proceed. It was the only off road vehicle I have ever had that I managed to high center. It tried to kill a friend and I hauling a bed high load of firewood, it started rocking back and forth at highway speed until the traction control took over locking tires until the oscillation stopped. I found the general quality to be poor, blew two of the four shocks under 20k miles, trans shifted WAY too much, 6.4 didn't impress. Like I said, not my finest choice. I am glad yours suits your needs. I would not recommend it to anybody based on my experience.

pwmtn.jpg

pwpough.jpg
We agree to disagree then. It is unfortunate you had that experience. I have had two PWs prior to this Gladiator and had no issues/problems with them.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
A big discrepancy is that the criteria for the tow test rating are significantly different than the conditions that people actually try to drive.

https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

http://www.rv-project.com/resources/j2807.php

The Davis Dam test, for example, requires maintaining at least 40mph. Granted that's a long grade, but most people are likely to be trying to maintain a higher speed.

It shouldn't be a surprise when performance suffers relative to the max rating.
Yeah, I get it. I don’t expect a vehicle to accelerate the same as when unloaded. My comments are around the longevity of the drivetrain and the comfort level when driving over 5k pounds. While the Gladiator has the advantage of a long wheelbase , I wouldn’t expect the driveline to last long under this kind of regular strain.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
i would advise going to the Gladiator forum and read what gladiator owners have to say, i traded a ram 1500 eco diesel for a sport s soft top gladiator, with what i occasionally towed it was perfect no issues, it drove incredibly nice for a truck with solid axles
The Gladiator does ride beautifully.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
I can't speak to the Alpine in the Gladiator, but the Alpine in my wife's sahara has plenty of base in it and 'tinny' isn't a work I'd use to describe it at all.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
My Sahara's bass kicks hard with the right music and recording. Not all recordings and sources have the ability to reproduce big sounds.

ON another note, dropped the wife's Challenger off at the dealership for it's oil change on Friday, there were no Wranglers on the lot, and only 2 Gladiators. Saw 3 used wranglers across the street at the VW Used car lot, 2 JLs and 1 JK.

Was a little weird. The lot is usually full, stacked 3 deep, but it was pretty empty with only the roadside rows having vehicles in them.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My wife was interested because it could tow our camper, maybe replace her SUV. Local Gladiator Rubicon with tow package popped up, decided to try it out. This was a 2021 built in October, with 7k miles, Alpine, loaded. I thought it was a shoe in. Well, it shifted late and revved high a lot. The Alpine was real tinny, my base stereo sounds better. I don't know who owned it, but it was clearly driven hard and put away wet. I don't expect they are all this way, but maybe you guys can chime in. Should she keep looking or not bother?
My Sport S with Max Tow JT felt better than a loaner JLUD I was given while the steering was upgraded. I had none of the negative experiences you reported.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’m seeing more brand new Gladiators on the road now. With little to no Wranglers on the lot, they are selling better now. If I didn’t already have a 4 door pickup, I probably would have seriously considered one when I was Jeep shopping.

Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I have both in my household. My 20 JT Overland came before Wife's 21 JLU Altitude. I drive both regularly and can lend the following:

Both have the Alpine, the JLU has a bit deeper bass, the sub is a little bigger and has the trunk to echo the bass a bit, but the JT's sub does a good job. All other speakers sound the same in both, nothing tinny about either of them.

JT rides smoother then the JLU due to the longer wheelbase. I find the JLU too bouncy being used to the JT, but opinions will vary.

JLU has the 2.0T and my JT has the 3.6. Yes the 2.0T is a bit peppier, but the 3.6 feels far smoother to me, and still has decent power, its not a slug by any means. The trans has never hung shifts or done anything odd in my opinion, keeps the 3.6 right where it's happy.

I've never towed with the JT, so I can't lend any opinion there. I do see on JT forums when you start approaching max weight of tow capability, it can get sketchy. This is true of any truck/towing weight, you want to leave a bit of reserve capacity there. 5k occasionally I see forum members say "no problem".

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have both in my household. My 20 JT Overland came before Wife's 21 JLU Altitude. I drive both regularly and can lend the following:

Both have the Alpine, the JLU has a bit deeper bass, the sub is a little bigger and has the trunk to echo the bass a bit, but the JT's sub does a good job. All other speakers sound the same in both, nothing tinny about either of them.

JT rides smoother then the JLU due to the longer wheelbase. I find the JLU too bouncy being used to the JT, but opinions will vary.

JLU has the 2.0T and my JT has the 3.6. Yes the 2.0T is a bit peppier, but the 3.6 feels far smoother to me, and still has decent power, its not a slug by any means. The trans has never hung shifts or done anything odd in my opinion, keeps the 3.6 right where it's happy.

I've never towed with the JT, so I can't lend any opinion there. I do see on JT forums when you start approaching max weight of tow capability, it can get sketchy. This is true of any truck/towing weight, you want to leave a bit of reserve capacity there. 5k occasionally I see forum members say "no problem".
I appreciate everyone's input. This is exactly why I was disappointed in the Alpine in this particular JT. I think we've agreed we'll wait until she's tired of her current vehicle. Maybe the 392 Gladiator will be available then.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
It is a 24 valve V-6, it did not shift late. It shifted the way a 3.6L 24V engine does. It is what it is. It is modestly powered. I 2nd the comment abut towing 7k with it above, not a great plan. Towing anything of any weight at all with a Jeep is an exercise in compromise. anyone stating otherwise is misleading people.

Sorry for your disappointment though. I get it.
I got my Jeep for Jeep stuff and my Power Wagon for towing and it will only pull a bit over 10,000#! I figure that is enough for me; that'll get a back-hoe, which I will rarely do.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I appreciate everyone's input. This is exactly why I was disappointed in the Alpine in this particular JT. I think we've agreed we'll wait until she's tired of her current vehicle. Maybe the 392 Gladiator will be available then.
I doubt we’ll see the 392 have a higher tow rating… but who knows.
Sponsored