Sponsored

Test drove the Gladiator today...disappointed.

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU 2022 Gladiator Sport S
i would advise going to the Gladiator forum and read what gladiator owners have to say, i traded a ram 1500 eco diesel for a sport s soft top gladiator, with what i occasionally towed it was perfect no issues, it drove incredibly nice for a truck with solid axles
Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Have you looked at a Power Wagon? I know they are much larger than the Gladiator, but you can easily run a 35 inch tire on stock suspension and it gives you all the off road tools as a Rubicon.
Problem with it is that it is HUGE and not much fun off road because of it. It is also not very good at truck things, payload is drastically reduced but it would pull a 6000lb camper better than a Gladiator and go to the beach with more confidence than a 2wd Denali. Also comes with intimidating stickers...lol

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
If you think that thing was revving up just driving around on a test drive then try towing up a hill with it. You would be severely regretting buying one at that moment. Just a lesson in frustration and a great way to abuse the drive train in the process. Especially 6200 lbs. with that drive train.

Sponsored

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Towing is less, but I considered it.
While towing is less, I would wonder how much better it would tow. 7,000 lbs towing capacity doesn’t do much if the pentastar is powering it.

I have been jonesing for a diesel gladiator for our wakeboard boat.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
While towing is less, I would wonder how much better it would tow. 7,000 lbs towing capacity doesn’t do much if the pentastar is powering it.

I have been jonesing for a diesel gladiator for our wakeboard boat.
Problem is payload with the JT 3.0 is only ~1,000 lbs.

12% tongue weight on a 6,200 lb camper is ~750 lbs, add in another 75 lbs for WDH and you’re left with only 175 lbs for driver, passenger and cargo.

(Not to mention the 750 lb tongue weight is also over the 650 lb rating)

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

12% tongue weight on a 6,200 lb camper is ~750 lbs, add in another 75 lbs for WDH and you’re left with only 175 lbs for driver, passenger and cargo.

I can understand that I suppose.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Personally, the only engine I’d consider in a Gladiator is the diesel for power and economy reasons until there’s another gas option with more torque.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent

I am pretty sure passengers are already considered in the "payload" rating so you do not need to subtract them from that amount.

I am in the camp that would use a diesel Gladiator to tow the load despite the silly ratings. It certainly would pull better than the pentastar. For a few times a year I wouldn't worry about it for a second. The drivetrain is plenty stout and in other markets the "stickered" numbers are higher which tells me the truck can handle it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zrickety

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
If you think that thing was revving up just driving around on a test drive then try towing up a hill with it. You would be severely regretting buying one at that moment. Just a lesson in frustration and a great way to abuse the drive train in the process. Especially 6200 lbs. with that drive train.
There is a sweet spot on the pedal where it shifts what I consider normally. But it's a very small spot.

MNGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392 XR - 2022 Power Wagon
Problem with it is that it is HUGE and not much fun off road because of it. It is also not very good at truck things, payload is drastically reduced but it would pull a 6000lb camper better than a Gladiator and go to the beach with more confidence than a 2wd Denali. Also comes with intimidating stickers...lol
The Wagon is a big girl, but completely disagree with the statement of not being fun off road. It is more susceptible to pin stripping and narrow trails, but is far better for long trips and overlanding if you are considering comfort. Also with the kits being sold by Carli and Thuren you can easily run 37s and increase on and off road driving ability. Payload does suffer but a lot of guys on the PW forums have added air bags for heavy work when needed. And yes they are not cheap, but neither is an 82k Wrangler. I paid as much for my Gladiator as I did for my loaded Power Wagon.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
The Wagon is a big girl, but completely disagree with the statement of not being fun off road. It is more susceptible to pin stripping and narrow trails, but is far better for long trips and overlanding if you are considering comfort. Also with the kits being sold by Carli and Thuren you can easily run 37s and increase on and off road driving ability. Payload does suffer but a lot of guys on the PW forums have added air bags for heavy work when needed. And yes they are not cheap, but neither is an 82k Wrangler. I paid as much for my Gladiator as I did for my loaded Power Wagon.
I bought a 2015 PW new. Unfortunately I found it to be one of my worst vehicle choices ever. Contrary to what I was told and read the traction control nannies never shut off. I had the truck take away the throttle as I was left foot braking over a fairly extreme obstacle. I had to shut the truck off with two wheels in the air, and restart to proceed. It was the only off road vehicle I have ever had that I managed to high center. It tried to kill a friend and I hauling a bed high load of firewood, it started rocking back and forth at highway speed until the traction control took over locking tires until the oscillation stopped. I found the general quality to be poor, blew two of the four shocks under 20k miles, trans shifted WAY too much, 6.4 didn't impress. Like I said, not my finest choice. I am glad yours suits your needs. I would not recommend it to anybody based on my experience.

pwmtn.jpg

pwpough.jpg

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Incorrect.
You are correct, you should include passenger weight when concerned about what that sticker says. I am only concerned about what the rear axle weight rating is and not exceeding that or the tires capacity. Do they list axle capacity on a small truck like the Gladiator like they do on a full size?
Sponsored