Sponsored

Test drove the Gladiator today...disappointed.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I have a 2 DR JL RUBICON but here in Phoenix AZ the Gladiator is extremely popular!

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
The Gladiator rides beautifully IMO. That long wheelbase really gives it a Cadillac-soft float. You may or may not like that. I like it.

However, if I were towing serious weight on a regular basis, I’d buy a Ram 1500.

Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Love the fact NO ONE noticed that you time traveled and all you did was test drive a Jeep. That’s dedication. :like:
I noticed, but I also realized that it was built in October of 2020 and is a 2021 Model Year?

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Thanks. Yes, we checked the EQ. Made some adjustments with no improvment. I'm guessing someone either modified the stereo or blew out the speakers? It was pretty sad. It had a couple other cosmetic changes that made me suspicious, which was unexpected for a nearly new vehicle. Interesting that many of you are saying not to tow 7,000...I will have to look into that because our camper is all of 6200 lbs.
It's very underpowered to tow anything north of 4,000lb.
You should hook up your camper during a test drive (park it near by dealer).

For 6k lb you should have v8 (just not POS 5.3 chevy) or turbo V6.

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
Gladiator is marked to compete with Tacoma, Ranger, and Colorado. It is a great truck for what it is, but it is not designed to tow what a 1/2 ton truck can. They try to sell you on the 7k towing capacity with the HD tow package. Will it tow it? Yes. But the question is how will it drive? How will it brake? How will it hold up over time. If you are towing 6200 a couple times a year, it might fall into the category adequate. The shifts might be holding longer because of the deep gears. However both of those issues you mentioned would be covered under warranty. Right now is not the time to buy used vehicles anyways. Right now, new is the only way to go. You can actually buy new for less than used. The dealer I ordered and purchased my 2021 Willys Unlimited last month had a 2019 base sport Unlimited with 31k on it, and they were selling it for $2200 more than the MSRP on mine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
There is a reason why the lots are full of Gladiators, yet you can't find a Wrangler for love or money. You've driven a gladiator, and have the experience to relate to.

In law enforcement, we call that "a clue".
He’s not wrong here. My local dealer has 7 Gladiators on the lot, including a well-equipped 2020 Overland leftover. Sticker is $53K and sale price right now is $47K. If I would have seen this 2 months ago when I bought my JL, I might have gone with the JT instead.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Gladiator is marked to compete with Tacoma, Ranger, and Colorado. It is a great truck for what it is, but it is not designed to tow what a 1/2 ton truck can. They try to sell you on the 7k towing capacity with the HD tow package. Will it tow it? Yes. But the question is how will it drive? How will it brake? How will it hold up over time. If you are towing 6200 a couple times a year, it might fall into the category adequate. The shifts might be holding longer because of the deep gears. However both of those issues you mentioned would be covered under warranty. Right now is not the time to buy used vehicles anyways. Right now, new is the only way to go, you can actually buy new for less than used. The dealer I ordered and purchased my 2021 Willys Unlimited last month had a 2019 base sport Unlimited with 31k on it, and they were selling it for $2200 more than the MSRP on mine.
Exactly. I had 2010 Explorer with the V8 that I used to tow my 28’ sailboat. All in that rig weighed around 5500 lbs. and IMO the v8 was marginal for that weight. The breaks were marginal too. I don’t know how they claim I cloud tow up to 7200 lbs with that truck <rollseyes>.

I would never tow more than 5k pounds in a Gladiator anywhere except a couple miles around town at low speeds. My thoughts.

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
used? few days ago i test drove a 2020 wrangler sport with 6k miles on it and it looked like it had been through hell and back. drove okay but …. yeah after that i’m leery of used jeeps because it seems people beat the crap out of them and the trade them in.

ETA: i also drove a new a/t rubicon gladiator and i liked the truck but i wouldn’t own it.

Last edited:

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
this was used? few days ago i test drove a 2020 wrangler sport with 6k miles on it and it looked like it had been through hell and back. drove okay but …. yeah after that i’m leery of used jeeps because it seems people beat the crap out of them and the trade them in.
You realize that can be any used vehicle...right?

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
You realize that can be any used vehicle...right?
yes you’re right - a C7 was mudded every weekend and used to pull out stuck vehicles. and someone definitely monkeyed with the suspension putting a 10ft lift on it and voided the factory warranty within 3 seconds of owning the car. most regular used cars have mud/sand splatter all over the undercarriage, trashed alignment from being jumped or being face planted because someone misjudged the angle of a hill or dune.

lol
Sponsored