Test drove the 3.0L Diesel

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I would like to know how our power grid can accommodate all those mandated EV's. Not to mention the need for more power generation facilities. I wonder what the monthly increase in a person's electric bill is to charge an electric vehicle?
California already has rolling brown outs because they can't keep up with demand. Now let's charge 30 million cars at night. Oh, and you can't build any nuclear or fossil fuel or hydro power plants.

Man, my diesel is looking better all the time.
Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Haven't you heard guys, it will all be "FREE". Just trust in our government, they will provide everyone with all they need. Free Freee Freeeee Freeeeeeeee!! Oh, and the mean rich people will pay for it all, through taxes.
Step away from the CNN.

PNWracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
California already has rolling brown outs because they can't keep up with demand. Now let's charge 30 million cars at night. Oh, and you can't build any nuclear or fossil fuel or hydro power plants.

Man, my diesel is looking better all the time.
Exactly what I was thinking. The power has to come from somewhere, and the majority sure the hell isn’t from windmills and solar.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I would like to know how our power grid can accommodate all those mandated EV's. Not to mention the need for more power generation facilities. I wonder what the monthly increase in a person's electric bill is to charge an electric vehicle?
It can't.

That's never stopped government or the eco crowd.

Look at California and their electric mandates when they already have rolling blackouts in hot weather.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The Japanese culture is about 95% rule followers. Americans aren't really known for polite obedience.

Japan will be petro fuel free according to plan because they have to import all their oil. US, on the other hand, has lots of fossil fuel. Diesel powered semi trucks will continue to haul freight in America until Class 8 manufacturers are able to figure out how to swap huge batteries easily at truck stops.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Diesel powered semi trucks will continue to haul freight in America until Class 8 manufacturers are able to figure out how to swap huge batteries easily at truck stops.
If left to industry, that would be the case.

Instead it will be imposed by Government based upon a dart board timeline, and cost and practicality will not feature into the equation at all.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The grid can handle it, as long as everyone doesn't charge at peak (a.k.a. expensive) times. In my area if you wanted to charge the largest capacity Tesla (335 miles/charge) at the most expensive time, it would cost $41 (that's from absolute zero charge to full). If you're smart about the rates and when you charge, you could get the cost down to around $16 each full charge.

California already has rolling brown outs because they can't keep up with demand. Now let's charge 30 million cars at night.
The additional load in the middle of the night is actually somewhat beneficial to the grid, as it makes the difference between the high & low usage times more consistent. The Vehicle-to-Grid stuff is also interesting, and could help with the rolling brown-outs too.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The additional load in the middle of the night is actually somewhat beneficial to the grid, as it makes the difference between the high & low usage times more consistent. The Vehicle-to-Grid stuff is also interesting, and could help with the rolling brown-outs too.
Not really and in fact it makes maintenance far more difficult as you're running at high capacity 24/7.

There are an awful lot of people who work at night that would need to charge during the day not to mention those who would charge at work.

Personally I would treat an electric car like I do my phone - every moment it wasn't in actual transit it should be plugged in.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The grid can handle it, as long as everyone doesn't charge at peak (a.k.a. expensive) times. In my area if you wanted to charge the largest capacity Tesla (335 miles/charge) at the most expensive time, it would cost $41 (that's from absolute zero charge to full). If you're smart about the rates and when you charge, you could get the cost down to around $16 each full charge.

I'm going to be laughing my ass off, when the Lithium producing countries decide to give the good old USA the middle finger, and refuse to sell to us, or quadruple their prices. All after the oil and gas industries are destroyed by our eco nut politicians. Funny, huh??
I guess the grid times wont matter much, when you cant get batteries.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Not really and in fact it makes maintenance far more difficult as you're running at high capacity 24/7.
I don't follow... maintenance is done with power turned off when possible, and demand on the grid is far lower at night than during peak air conditioning times.

There are an awful lot of people who work at night that would need to charge during the day not to mention those who would charge at work.
Assuming you would eventually have to pay to charge at work (I mean most jobs don't let their employees fill-up their tank for free in the work parking lot), I think people would charge at home unless it wasn't possible. People already drive to the cheapest gas/diesel station, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to expect them to plug in at home vs. work. I can't comment on the number of night workers, but I suspect it's pretty low.

Personally I would treat an electric car like I do my phone - every moment it wasn't in actual transit it should be plugged in.
Would you do that if it cost more at certain locations (assuming you had the range to get where you are going)? I wouldn't, but I'm kind of stingy and make sure that I go to the cheap gas stations.

I'm going to be laughing my ass off, when the Lithium producing countries decide to give the good old USA the middle finger, and refuse to sell to us, or quadruple their prices. All after the oil and gas industries are destroyed by our eco nut politicians. Funny, huh??
I guess the grid times wont matter much, when you cant get batteries.
I don't know about funny, but it is concerning. Hopefully other battery technologies are in play before that happens.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't follow... maintenance is done with power turned off when possible, and demand on the grid is far lower at night than during peak air conditioning times.

Assuming you would eventually have to pay to charge at work (I mean most jobs don't let their employees fill-up their tank for free in the work parking lot), I think people would charge at home unless it wasn't possible. People already drive to the cheapest gas/diesel station, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to expect them to plug in at home vs. work. I can't comment on the number of night workers, but I suspect it's pretty low.

Would you do that if it cost more at certain locations (assuming you had the range to get where you are going)? I wouldn't, but I'm kind of stingy and make sure that I go to the cheap gas stations.

I don't know about funny, but it is concerning. Hopefully other battery technologies are in play before that happens.
Nothing like switching technologies, by mandate, before industries, and technologies are even ready. No, it won't be funny, but ironic??