Test drove Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

TurboTJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I dont know about that 400hp kit, dont think many people are running that and those who do havent been for all that long.

PPEI tunes are power tunes and push things over the capability.

GDE tune is considered a safe tune and they claim stock turbo RPM is maxed out, they also have what seems like a bolt on turbo kit with ECM and Trans tunes and posted numbers are 292rwhp @ 3800rpm & 510lbft @ 2400rpm

Check it out: http://www.greendieselengineering.com/jforum/posts/list/275.page
Great info!! Can’t wait until I can order this thing!

It’s not a kit but here’s the link. Can’t imagine any of us can or will shoot for 400HP and a 2nd turbo but it’s good to see what can be done.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1511-2015-ram-ecodiesel-with-a-compound-turbo-punch/
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I found the OP to be correct. I took a drive in a new ecodeisel and promptly took it right back. Talk about gutless. I’m sure it will run better in the JL like it does in the WK2 but wow. I wasn’t expecting that. The Hemi is definitely fun to drive. I’m sure it’s not an apples to apples comparison though. I think it’s undepowered in stock form. Tuned I’m sure it’s much better.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I had a 2015 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, 8spd trans and it was an awesome combination. And MPG were not bad at all. If I drove 70 mph, 23 mpg were attainable. The tach would be at 1700. And 390 hp were always there when I needed. I think that the ED is more for pulling and better milage. But I believe that the diesel engine mated to the 8 speed transmission is going to make a great combination when when going cross country or making your skin crawl at 2mph in Moab. The engine has 260 hp and 442 lb-ft of torque (more than the Hemi), so you can tow a boat or camper and not having to worry about your rig being able to pull whatever.
And I am a fan of the Pentastar. My JKUR has it and its incredibly reliable. But I want to switch to diesel just to see. And if I don't like it, going back to gas is always an option.

GlockandRoll

First Name
Chad Leeper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoping for JL
The torque and fuel economy of the ecodiesel make it worth the wait to me. I currently own a RAM 1500 ecodiesel and LOVE the fuel economy and low RPM torque. It's not going to win any drag races, but it would be a LOT better with 35" tires crawling over rough country than the 2.0T with almost 125 lb/ft more, which is more than the penta6 as is. The fuel economy alone would pay for itself.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Mine had plenty of power to haul ass if you wanted it to. the real problem was the incredible delay on it between just being a diesel, being turbo charged, and the god awful drive by wire they put in everything today.

But man once you stepped on it and it finally got through all the delay it would throw you in your seat.

this is the only thing that concerns me with the diesel jeep is offroading, if you need power NOW while on rocks or slipping or something, you aren't gonna have that immediate response in the diesel version. I suppose a sprint booster may help it from a DBW perspective, but that cant really do anything for the tune, or turbo delay.

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Mine had plenty of power to haul ass if you wanted it to. the real problem was the incredible delay on it between just being a diesel, being turbo charged, and the god awful drive by wire they put in everything today.

But man once you stepped on it and it finally got through all the delay it would throw you in your seat.

this is the only thing that concerns me with the diesel jeep is offroading, if you need power NOW while on rocks or slipping or something, you aren't gonna have that immediate response in the diesel version. I suppose a sprint booster may help it from a DBW perspective, but that cant really do anything for the tune, or turbo delay.
There are a lot of aftermarket solutions for the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel throttle delay. I haven't used them myself, but many I've seen are from reputable companies.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I wanted to wait for the diesel. I know it is a simpler engine, with a lot more torque and better fuel economy. And I know FCA is going to bring that 3.0 ED soon. But in my case, there were a few considerations. First, I liked the new design. Second, the 8spd transmission (proven by myself). Third, the need for an all-around fun vehicle to take to the beach, the Florida Keys and the mall sometimes. And last, but not least, the economic factor. My ceiling was 50K, and I ordered mine with the 3.6 Pentastar, auto, and nav. So, if I was going to go with the ED, that was going to bring my Jeep to about 55K, and I didn't want to go that far.
But God willing, maybe one day, I can go to the dealer and take my F-150 and come home with a new Gladiator. But for now, I am thankful for my JLUR..

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance

Isn’t the diesel bringing the hybrid battery as the 2.0T? That would eliminate low end torque. No?

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
From what I've been wink wink told, the diesel will not have any of the hybrid stuff in it.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Isn’t the diesel bringing the hybrid battery as the 2.0T? That would eliminate low end torque. No?
I don't believe the diesel will be getting any etorque bits on it.

It has gobs of low end torque, the issue is the delay to get it to put that torque out. This isn't a problem with torque being higher up in the RPM band, but rather from the astonishing delay the engine can have spinning up.

As I said though, once it starts to open up, it can really do so, but all the different factors leading up to it can put as much as a couple second delay into the accelerator.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Isn’t that the main benefit of etorque? Instant on.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
The torque and fuel economy of the ecodiesel make it worth the wait to me. I currently own a RAM 1500 ecodiesel and LOVE the fuel economy and low RPM torque. It's not going to win any drag races, but it would be a LOT better with 35" tires crawling over rough country than the 2.0T with almost 125 lb/ft more, which is more than the penta6 as is. The fuel economy alone would pay for itself.
My ecodiesel was a little gutless an got 24mpg on my daily commute. The F-150 with 2.7l turbo I traded the ecodiesel for was quite a bit faster and got 21mpg on the same commute. Considering the difference in gas vs diesel cost here, the F-150 was slightly cheaper to drive in the winter and slightly more in summer. Now towing our camper the eco would get about 11mpg vs 8 in the F-150. Power wise the F-150 has more reserve power when towing and the ride was more comfortable although the ram was a little more stable.

Matt2036

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Time will tell, but thinking the Pentastar 3.6 likely won't get replaced unless it's with a new and improved V6 or demand for the 2.0T is greater than the current V6. Personally I think the Ecodiesel is the engine everyone claims they want, that is until they see the premium they're going to have to fork over to get it.

Most modern turbo's, unlike the turbo's of yesteryear, don't have much if any lag. Granted I have not test driven a 2.0T, so honestly can't say if FCA screwed the pooch with that engine.
Very little lag if any, and it’s not noticeable as the electric motor with 77ftlbs of tq helps out just off at lower rpm ranges where the turbo would still be spooling up. The hurricane engine has plenty of low down torque and power. It’s down right fast on the street with the stock tires. Will be a little more sluggish once 33’s get put on I’m sure.
Sponsored