Test drove Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

ThrillerR1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 4Runner V8, 2008 Z06, 2009 R1, 2015 Tenere
Decided to do a test drive for the EcoDiesel. Got to say I don't think I'll be waiting for the diesel in the Jeep if it's anything like the diesel in the Ram. No power below 2000 RPMs, and definitely not about 4,000 RPMs. Had to give it enough throttle to prompt a downshift before it would move. I know, apples and oranges, but I wasn't at all impressed by that 3.0.

On the plus side the 8-speed automatic was actually really nice, didn't notice half the shifts and it was very smooth. Skipped gears on downshift too.

This is kinda good news for me, if I go with the JL I don't have to wait til August to order one.
Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
WEird, my GC diesel hauls ass, and with a tune, there is plenty of power below 2000rpm. Back when I first test drove a diesel, I wasn't impressed, then I found out it was faulty and something was wrong with the vehicle. Also, did you actually turn off eco?

OP
OP
ThrillerR1

ThrillerR1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WEird, my GC diesel hauls ass, and with a tune, there is plenty of power below 2000rpm. Back when I first test drove a diesel, I wasn't impressed, then I found out it was faulty and something was wrong with the vehicle. Also, did you actually turn off eco?
I did not. Didn't see a button for it but I didn't drive it for more than 30min. Suppose it could have been faulty, hard to say.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
My buddy had ram with the 3.0, he really disliked it, I was surprised as I’ve heard good things... perhaps it’s diffferent in execution in the JL, I’m sure it will be great.. with that said I went with the 3.6

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Pentastar 3.6 in the JL will soon be collectors items and highly sought after!

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I did not. Didn't see a button for it but I didn't drive it for more than 30min. Suppose it could have been faulty, hard to say.
Eco cuts the power down quite a bit.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
The Ecodiesel “stock” just won’t feel like a tq monster, it’s not setup for that. In the Ram, fun to drive = Hemi. In the Wrangler, it’s likely going to be the 3.6 that’s the most fun (mainly due to the Manual). I would say the 2.0, but I’m willing to bet that the turbo lag would upset a good amount of people on a daily basis

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Decided to do a test drive for the EcoDiesel. Got to say I don't think I'll be waiting for the diesel in the Jeep if it's anything like the diesel in the Ram. No power below 2000 RPMs, and definitely not about 4,000 RPMs. Had to give it enough throttle to prompt a downshift before it would move. I know, apples and oranges, but I wasn't at all impressed by that 3.0.

On the plus side the 8-speed automatic was actually really nice, didn't notice half the shifts and it was very smooth. Skipped gears on downshift too.

This is kinda good news for me, if I go with the JL I don't have to wait til August to order one.
Did you go and drive the V6 right after for a comparison? As you can't drive the V6 in a Wrangler and compare that to the diesel in 1500. The weight differences between the two are huge and will effect the feel. What I always recommend people doing is going to jeep and test driving the diesel and v6 Grand Cherokees back to back. It will give you a better idea of what to expect in the Wrangler as they will be tuned similar (ie not for towing) and you can see the power in a similar weight chassis.

OP
OP
ThrillerR1

ThrillerR1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Decided to try a GC diesel and it was night and day compared to the Ram. If the Wrangler has the same power as the GC, and it should actually be better in the Wrangler, I'll be a happy Jeeper. Full props to those that recommended the GC.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Pentastar 3.6 in the JL will soon be collectors items and highly sought after!
Time will tell, but thinking the Pentastar 3.6 likely won't get replaced unless it's with a new and improved V6 or demand for the 2.0T is greater than the current V6. Personally I think the Ecodiesel is the engine everyone claims they want, that is until they see the premium they're going to have to fork over to get it.

I would say the 2.0, but I’m willing to bet that the turbo lag would upset a good amount of people on a daily basis
Most modern turbo's, unlike the turbo's of yesteryear, don't have much if any lag. Granted I have not test driven a 2.0T, so honestly can't say if FCA screwed the pooch with that engine.

Sponsored

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Those who've driven the 2.0T say that the torque from the electric motor (it's a mild hybrid setup) helps hide the turbo lag. Also, it's apparently set up to deliver peak boost at a fairly low RPM at the expense of high end power. The Pentastar is still likely to be the more reliable choice for now though, remember that it took three years for them to figure out the Pentastar head issue and produce a fix for it, what issues does the 2.0T have that'll take a similar amount of time to fix?

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I was sifting through the FCA website and the 2.0 is now available for ordering. A 300 hp i suppose is adequate for the JLU, but just like everything else, we shall see. I am not a fan of 4 bangers for I owned a 2005 tj 4 and it sucked monkey meat. The turbo is just a ton of parts more and it does its job, but I am waiting for 3.0. I have seen those diesels in Europe and Australia on Youtube videos and they look like they can go on forever. Then with a couple of tweaks, we can make it better. There is no substitute for the good ol' american ingenuity. And I shall keep mine till Kingdom come...

TurboTJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Good point. I’ve been scanning the Banks Power website for ecodiesel parts and it looks like we'll be able to get 40HP/60ft-lbs for under $500!! A couple of other parts let you delete the intake silencer to get that beautiful turbo wine!!

In comparison, my 4.0L TJ with $2k in parts made 148HP (at the rear wheels @5,000ft). The turbo kit added about 60HP.

Also, when looking at a new engine, I like to see what people push it to. I found one Ram ED owner with 400HP (with aftermarket turbochargers) but stock internals. Not that any of us would do this but it’s good to know how strong the engine is.

I’ve been on the fence about gas today or diesel later but it looks like I’ll be waiting! I think the Pentastar would be fine stock but once you go to 37”’s and add racks/winches/luggage, you will spend your days with the 18-wheelers in the right lane.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
I dont know about that 400hp kit, dont think many people are running that and those who do havent been for all that long.

PPEI tunes are power tunes and push things over the capability.

GDE tune is considered a safe tune and they claim stock turbo RPM is maxed out, they also have what seems like a bolt on turbo kit with ECM and Trans tunes and posted numbers are 292rwhp @ 3800rpm & 510lbft @ 2400rpm

Check it out: http://www.greendieselengineering.com/jforum/posts/list/275.page

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
Another point is that Cummins has a 4 cil diesel repower for tj's and smaller off roaders with 168 hp and 250lbft of torque. They are pricey, around 9k, but it looks like plug and play. Crate engine, computer, wirings and such.
We need to help one another to achieve these goals of FINALLY getting diesel jeeps here at home. TFL trucks has a couple of videos on Youtube about diesel jeeps and let's not forget about the 2015 Jeep Africa concept at Moab. I think i would love one of those beasts to roam the Florida mall and Daytona beach. I would definitely buy it. The best things come to those who wait...
Sponsored