Sponsored

Test drove my first ever Wranglers today. Thoughts and help with concerns please

Coyne11

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon , 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SAS Swap
Not to long ago I bought my first Jeep that was used with under 3k miles when I got it. It’s a 2018 Rubicon with some of the options you have questions about.

- With that good of a heater, is the cold weather group still worth it?
Mine did not come with the heated seats and steering wheel. This is one feature I wish it did have. I even thought about adding heated seats which can be done for about $250 each thru local Katzkin installer. I would recommend getting the cold weather option.

- I want to eventually have leather (kids, easy clean up) Is Katzkin a good seat?

I have Katzkin leather in mine front and back. It’s a two tone with black and accents of gray and stitching throughout. With under 7k miles on it, I already see some wear of the gray being worn off from getting in and out of it. Does it look good in my option, yes. But I’m sorta concerned with the wear already happening. Since I bought used, I doubt the warranty would work.

- I couldn't test the lights do to being the day. LED group that much better?

I have the led package and I am glad that I do have it. I never really considered this when looking at the jeeps. I haven’t drove one without the led option at night so I’m not sure how it compares. I assume a drastic difference. I personally would recommend as I believe not only they are brighter but they even look better. I would want this option if buying another Jeep.

- Didn't test the safety group. Is that worth it as well? I have all of the safety stuff on my Rav 4. I just like the blind spot and back up camera warning part. I hate the lane assist peep, the steering control stuff, etc

I have never had a safety group as I have had older vehicles that didn’t offer them. My Jeep has the backup camera and blind spot on the mirrors and rear bumper. These features are all I would want. I don’t see myself using the other features that often so I wouldn’t spend the extra.
Sponsored

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
Some 2018, 2019, 2020’s had problematic steering. I have a 2020 and don’t. If you want to buy the 2019, drive it, at freeway speeds on the intertate for a good 10-15 miles On a non-windy day. Does it wander? Are you constantly making corrections to the steering to keep it straight? Does it have a large dead spot in the center of the wheel? Does it fundamentally need more attention to keep straight than the 2021 that you have already driven? If so, it needs the new steering box. if you want to buy it, have your dealer install the new aluminum box as part of the sale. If the 2019 drives the same as the 2021 you test drove, then the box is fine.
I think the new steering box is steel.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I have a Rubicon and find it rides very smooth, but from a model perspective you should go with what you want.

As for options:

Cold weather group: Living in the northeast i love it. Having heated seats and steering wheel is majestic. Highly worth it. Coupled with Remote Start it's a dream come true.

Safety group: I have the regular safety group and like it, especially after i was able to turn off the damn chime. It has come very handy. The Advanced Safety Group is the one that comes with advanced brake assist, adaptive cruise and lane assist (i think) none of which i wanted part of. I once drove a BMW rental with the lane assist crap and it was like i was fighting the car whenever i wanted to switch lanes.

LEDs: I have halogen's on mine, and i didn't realize how mediocre they are. However, you get LED tails with the regular safety group and i would have had to pay full price ($995 at the time) again for the LED package for just the fronts, so i was not going to pay that premium.

8in screen / premium audio: FANTASTIC. Worth every penny and then some.

Keyless Entry: FANTASTIC. For about $500 it's a slam dunk and retrofitting that would probably cost you a ton more

Trailer Hitch: I did not get it with mine and had to go back to get a hitch installed so we could carry bikes. If i had wanted to get the electrical as well (to tow stuff) the price i was quoted was basically the same as the price out the factory but i would not have the aux switches, which come in handy if you want to mod your Jeep. Something to consider.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
The Advanced Safety Group is the one that comes with advanced brake assist, adaptive cruise and lane assist (i think) none of which i wanted part of. I once drove a BMW rental with the lane assist crap and it was like i was fighting the car whenever i wanted to switch lanes.
The Advanced Safety Group for the Wrangler doesn't include the feature that assists in maintaining a lane. The one in the BMW probably doesn't fight lane changing if the blinker is turned on first. I know that Ford's doesn't.

Later,
Johnny

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
If you're confident you're never going to go off road much, choosing a lower trim level than the Rubicon may make some sense, but I encourage you to think long and hard about it before you decide, because trying to convert a lower trim level into a Rubicon is extremely expensive, and you'll get very little of your investment back if you ever sell the jeep. (All the wranglers are capable off road. It's just a question of how capable. The sway bar disconnect, for example can make a huge difference even on pretty easy off-camber roads and trails.)

My last TJ was a "Sport". I eventually lifted it and added larger (33") tires. It was a really neat little Jeep, and I loved it, but the 33" tires were too much for the notoriously weak Dana 35 rear end and it blew up at 40,000 miles, even though it was getting only light 4-wheeling. I swapped in a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end and re-geared to 456s, none of which would have been necessary if it had been a Rubicon which came stock with the heavier rear end and 410s. The sport didn't have lockers either, so I added a compressor and ARB lockers..... and there was no sway-bar disconnect either, which is SUPER nice. (You can modify to manually disconnect, but the factory sway-bar disconnect and reconnect is managed from the comfort of the front seat, not lying on your back in the mud or snow.)

I think the difference between the Rubicon ride and the others is pretty subtle. If you prefer a more pliable ride, it's easy to duplicate (or reverse) at very little cost.

Last thought: Some things, like leather, are easy to add later, often with higher quality and lower cost, especially if you get stuff done on a trip to a state with no sales tax. And from a value standpoint, leather is leather. That's not true of all options, so if the decision is primarily a financial one, I'd look at what you can easily add later -- like leather, soft top, etc.)

Jeep TJ.jpg

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
tough call between sport and rubicon, if planning 35" tires rubicon is probably a good move, if just bumping up to 33's then sport works out fine with a mild lift. cold weather I think is worth it as it doesn't cost much and gives heated seats and steering wheel. I don't go for LEDs because I just would rather spend money elsewhere and like the look better with halogen lights (more jeep like).

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
For me, the biggest issue would be intended use. My number one criteria was it had to be a Willys. My first Willys was a 1953 CJ3B. I wanted the experience of a manual transmission again. I have a great truck and my wife has her SUV so the Willys is for hunting, fishing, etc and just driving around when I don't need a 6.6 Duramax to get from A to B. I went with the base model with the hardtop, AC, block heater and then added the things I wanted and will actually use. 2.5 lift, wheels, 33' tires, mangaflow exhaust, steel bumper, winch kit, Zeon 10 winch, custom seat covers, LED headlights and some detailing. I have all the bells/whistles on my Denali and the only thing I miss on the Willys is the auto door locks. Steering is fine but with the lift and tries it does feel different. But, my time on the highway is limited so not a big deal. So far, happy with my choices.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
If you do not plan on taking it off-road I wouldn’t get the Rubicon. I would recommend 8.4” with the Alpine, LED Tech pack and the cold weather group if you have to deal with the winter. I wish I would have done the katzkin option but my Sahara Altitude already came with leather. I would wait and try a 4xe drivetrain as well. Also, keep an eye on the corrosion issues as well. A few of us are already plagued with them.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
This is actually really great advice, which has taken me awhile to learn. I’ve always tried to be budget conscious which is important, but if you can’t buy what you truly want due to budget...save until you can. It will save you $$ in the long run.
Me too. I’ve heard it many, many times over the years, but I didn’t have the sense or the discipline to follow it until I was in my late forties, and I still occasionally have to argue with myself when I’m struggling with a purchase.

The phrase “Buy once cry once“ is spot on.

Sponsored

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
My first Jeep was a 2008 2-door Sahara. It had a 3.8 L V6 (it was junk), manual transmission, limited slip differential, and 3.21 gears. I had 32 inch tires on it with springs from a 4-door sport that my brother in law gave me. I took this Jeep to a lot of places, to include most of tougher trails in CO and to Moab a few times. There was only three or four times that I felt like I needed lockers, but that Jeep definitely left me wanting more.

I sold that Jeep in June and ordered my 2021 JLUR in Sarge Green. I got the 3.6 L pentastar with 6 speed manual transmission, cold weather group, dual top group, upgraded Alpine sound system (I kept the 7-inch UConnect stereo).

The only thing I regret not getting is the tow group (I have a 3/4 ton truck for towing, but I want the switches). If they made the Diesel with a manual transmission as an option, I would have ordered it. I like driving a manual and think it adds more of a challenge while off-roading.

My answer to your questions will follow:

1. Jeep heaters are like having a built in furnace, but they hardly do anything when the top and doors are off and it's cold. I've driven a topless/doorless Jeep in 19 degrees, the heater didn't help. That's where the heated seats and steering wheel come in. I have a habit of driving topless and doorless when it's way too cold to be doing that.

2. I can't answer this one, I have cloth seats and don't have any plans to switch to leather.

3. My JLUR handles and feels way better on the road than my JK did. I can't compare it to a different trim level of the JL though.

4. I have the regular halogen headlights on my JLUR. I also had them on my JK. The ones on my JLUR are a lot brighter than the ones on my JK and I think they are just fine. I have not seen how the LEDs look from the driver's seat, but I hate being blinded by other people's LED lights.

5. I don't have any of the safety stuff, I have driven my whole life without them so I don't need to pay any extra money for them now. I do like the back-up camera and believe it will be a huge benefit on the trail (especially on trails like Elephant Hill in Canyonlands National Park where you have to do whole sections driving backwards) and on the road.

I opted to not get the steel bumper group. There are better options out there on the aftermarket and I already knew the style I wanted before I even ordered my Jeep.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Not going to re-hash the sentiments expressed already but one thing of note, if you would like 37s, the stock 4.10 ratio certainly makes driving with them manageable so your budget can recover before re-gearing (this is from an 8-speed perspective).

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My $0.015 worth

The Rubicon is nice plus you get the kid approved cool factor.
Rubicon does have the 4-to-1 xfer case, which is great for off road.
The other Wrangler versions are very nice and can be upgraded.

Recommend the 3.6 engine as it is a proven power plant and has less stuff to break than the fancier engine options.

Cold weather group is very nice. The heated steering wheel is really great on a cold day.
Blind spot monitoring is nice.
LED's are nice, but there is aftermarket upgrades available.
Factory Steel bumpers are OK, but some of the aftermarket ones have many advantages (Artec, American Adventure Labs).

If you go with leather, stick with the regular leather seats. With the "upgraded" leather seats, you loose some of the leather trim stuff (dash, door panels, arm rest, etc.).

If you go with a lift kit, get a really good kit like Rock Krawler. And the RK long arm kits really improve the ride quality. A cheap lift kit can really take away for the whole Jeep thing.

If get a Jeep, and want to modify it, get good stuff, preferably made in the US (e.g., Artec, American Adventure Labs, RK, etc.). There is so much oversee stuff that is pure junk.

If you shop around, there are some amazing deals on Jeeps, though you might have to drive a bit to pick up your new rig.

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
Lots of great replies already here so you will have to decide what you want to do with your Jeep.

For me, I really wanted a Rubicon but in Canada, pricing is crazy! Regardless, I picked up a Sahara Altitude but there were a couple “must haves” for me:
-LED light package-FANTASTIC, you will not regret it
-tow package-gave the bigger alternator and the factory aux switches

The rest is all personal preference. Welcome to the forum and can’t wait to see what you pick up! Cheers.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Lots of great replies already here so you will have to decide what you want to do with your Jeep.

For me, I really wanted a Rubicon but in Canada, pricing is crazy! Regardless, I picked up a Sahara Altitude but there were a couple “must haves” for me:
-LED light package-FANTASTIC, you will not regret it
-tow package-gave the bigger alternator and the factory aux switches

The rest is all personal preference. Welcome to the forum and can’t wait to see what you pick up! Cheers.
Pic of your Sahara Altitude? I was talking to a dealer about an hour away when the white JLUR deal fell through near me. Just curious :)!
Sponsored