Sponsored

Test drove my first ever Wranglers today. Thoughts and help with concerns please

Gobicon

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018 Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
With that good of a heater, is the cold weather group still worth it? YES 100%. STEERING WHEEL HEATS UP AND YOU GET REMOTE START. CAN HAVE JEEP COOL AC OR HOT BEFORE YOU EVEN GET IN.
- I want to eventually have leather (kids, easy clean up) Is Katzkin a good seat? YES.
- I want to upgrade the sport look (small lift, aggressive tires, hood, etc) Will this hinder how I liked the way the Sport felt better on pavement than the Rubicon? TIRES PLAY A BIG ROLE. IF YOU DONT NEED LOCKERS, GO WITH THE SPORT S.
- I couldn't test the lights do to being the day. LED group that much better? 1000% YES. THE OEM LED LIGHTS ARE AMAZING! BRIGHT, CLEAN, HALOS, FENDERS GO LED. DON'T REGRET NOT BUYING IT.
- Didn't test the safety group. Is that worth it as well? I have all of the safety stuff on my Rav 4. I just like the blind spot and back up camera warning part. I hate the lane assist peep, the steering control stuff, etc IN MY OPINION YOU DONT NEED ADVANCE SAFETY GROUP. THE JEEP HAS CAMERA, SIDE WARNING AND BACKUP WARNINGS ALREADY WITH SAFETY GROUP.
Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I was in your shoes not long ago. This is my first Wrangler, so I heavily considered all options available before placing the factory order. I am not big on touch screens in cars; I prefer tactile buttons and knobs, so I stuck with the base 7" system in the technology package (this was required for Willys trim). I also did not want any GPS or internet connectivity tied directly to the vehicle. I did opt for the Alpine system (which if you go with the 8.4" screen upgrade this is included). I liked the factory placement of the sub - it is cleanly tucked out of the way. Also, not a lot of options seem available for speakers without doing cutting and splicing. I'm not afraid of that (I redid my entire GTO sound system), but I did not want that on a brand new vehicle when the factory Alpine system actually sounds quite good.

I did go with the cold weather package. I can live without heated seats, but my wife loves them. I do find the heated steering wheel nice. I just don't like driving with gloves on. Something feels off when operating the manual gearbox lever with gloves on, plus it is harder to adjust climate / radio settings with gloves. I was okay giving up the remote start for the manual, but that is included if you get an auto.

I chose the hardtop for several reasons - I like looking out of actual glass, winters can be harsh on a soft top, and access to the rear cargo is easier by simply lifting up on the back glass on gas struts.

Tow package is nice, well, because I have a small quad trailer that I currently tow with my GTO. I thought of adding my own hitch, but you get the full 4 & 7 pin plugs, trailer brake harness under the dash, the 4 aux switches (with hookups in the cab and under the hood), the max rated battery and alternator. So it really is a full package. Only thing missing would be shorter gears like they offered on the JK.

I do like the LED headlights (seems like most do), but since they came standard with the Willys I had no say. Not that I am complaining.

I opted not to go with either safety package. I ultimately decided I did not want things beeping or flashing at me, or taking control of the vehicle for me. The mirrors are good and visibility is good. Another note about the advanced safety package: if you get a lift or need a winshield replaced (which seems more common on this vehicle due to its upright position), you will need to adjust the forward looking sensors.

Welcome and enjoy whichever combination you ultimately choose!

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
ONE last thought from the guy that has owned over 116 cars/trucks and 19 motorcycles, GET WHAT YOU WANT! Don't buy a Sport if that little voice is telling you to buy a Rubicon or a Sahara AND visa versa!
This is actually really great advice, which has taken me awhile to learn. I’ve always tried to be budget conscious which is important, but if you can’t buy what you truly want due to budget...save until you can. It will save you $$ in the long run.

VS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Ferrari 550, Honda S2000, VW GLI
" With that good of a heater, is the cold weather group still worth it?"

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it yet but I find it very nice how when I have the HVAC on "Auto", it automatically starts the seat and steering wheel heater when the temperature drops below 30 degrees (I think that's the trigger point). However, know that the seat heater always starts at 3 bars when it starts automatically and you have to adjust down if you prefer less heat.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Cold weather package - Yes, love it
Leather - I have cloth, and have thought about Katskins, they seem to get good reviews
Change tires and lift - it will not drive the same
LED package - I would get it if buying again
Satefy group - don’t have it on my Jeep, but do on other cars, I like the functions
Proximity Locks - get it, do you have any idea how big the JL key fob is? I know you didn’t mention this, but it’s my one regret :facepalm:
you also mentioned the 8.4 screen, I love mine, I think FCA have done a great job with unconnect

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
While I bought a loaded Rubicon I have mad respect for the base models as well.

A little story:
A few of us went to Moab last year, 8 Jeeps total, 4 on 35’s with lockers, 2 on 37’s with lockers, 1 on 36’s with lockers and a JK on 33’s, open diffs.

That little 2 dr JK did every single obstacle on every single trail we did, he actually did a couple of climbs nobody else did.

Moral of the story is if you wheel a less equipped rig like that JK you will ultimately be a better driver. The joke in our club is that JK owner is not allowed to get 35’s and lockers because if he did, he would embarrass the rest of us with his skills.
thats a good one. my brother and i when wheeling in vt with a hummer club. we were the only one with a 2000 tj on 33 tsl swampers. at every sections of the trail, the hummer guys will say "you're going to have a hard time." the tj climbed everything with ease. the hummer guys was like damn. it was great to show how well the tj did while the $100k hummer was struggling.

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
LED kit is pretty much a must. The stock jeep lights are pretty bad. I upgraded my JK's halogens to some truck light leds and they cost me about $800. I find the Jeep ones a lot better so totally worth it.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Just bought a slightly used 2020 Rubicon and love the cold weather package (cloth seats) and the LED lights. I did not have any issues with the steering. This was my first Jeep. Wondering why I waited so long? Oh yeah, $$$. Glad I did it. Wife and I are enjoying it!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It was easy for me.

I researched the models on here and determined that I liked the looks of the Rubicon and wanted to buy it.

then, options: which ones?

easy: I walked onto the dealer lot (which more often than not has “fully optioned” vehicles in inventory), found one, drive it, bought it. No regrets.

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Get the Rubicon, check the differences, it’s not just a sticker. Best resale too.
Led option is good if your budget can handle it.

lies, sport has best resale.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yolobaggins

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Totally random question after reading all your responses

I test drove a 2021 and had no issues with the steering/turning but I have heard many people have had problems

I found a 2019 certified that I love with low miles but it is out of state (mojito, love that color) is that steering different from 2019 to the 2021 models?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I agree with others concerning the LED lights. I would not buy a new wrangler without them.

The quality of the leather and the value of heated seats are as unrelated as your favorite color and your body weight. If you spend time in cold climates, heated seats and steering wheel are a joy — whether you have cloth, lousy leather, or great leather.

Katzkin is great. I’ve installed it in two Ford trucks, a dodge truck, and a Mustang. I have a set going into my wrangler next week. I can’t speak to the comparative quality of the Wrangler leather, as I’ve never seen the seat covering off of the vehicle, but I can tell you the Katzkin was substantially better than the leather it replaced in the other vehicles I listed. (Leather was thicker, softer, less blemished, and comprised more of the cover.) (Some factory leather seats just have leather inserts on the narrow seating surface.) I also love the way the Katzkin retains that leather smell.

Last edited:

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd

I test drove a 2021 and had no issues with the steering/turning but I have heard many people have had problems

I found a 2019 certified that I love with low miles but it is out of state (mojito, love that color) is that steering different from 2019 to the 2021 models?
2021s have a new steering gear box. If the 2019 is still under warranty, you should be able to get the new steering box installed for free if that particular Jeep has a wonky box... Otherwise, it'll be about $1000 to swap it.

For your original questions... I have a zero-option sport, and a Willys. If I were you, is look into the Willys package; I think it gives you a lot of what you are looking for as standard options. The OEM 32" Firestone tires on the Willys may convince you to not upgrade right away; I can't tell much difference between the Sport tires in drive quality (for regular driving, maybe there is a bigger difference in hard cornering or panic stops) and they look/perform (off-road) considerably better.

Cold weather group? I dunno. It's nice for a couple minutes, then it's too hot.

LEDs are awesome and overpriced. Included on the Willys. I put Beamtech replacement bulbs in my halogens. They're pretty close in comparison. My $40 bulbs will be a heck of a lot cheaper to replace if one goes out in 4 years.

Blind spot radar? My wife's old Fiat has that and a backup camera as well. She still managed to reverse into a parked car in a parking lot. You get desensitized to the thing constantly beeping at false alarms. Seems kinda worthless.

My mild lift using Rubicon springs didn't seem to impact my ride quality/handling, but I'm not driving like I'm in the Indy 500 either. Willys has Rubicon shocks, so it's half way there.

Last edited:

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
LEDs were a must for me. My wife whines about headlights on most of our other vehicles but definitely not on this. I also like the factory halos. Cold weather package was something I wanted mostly for the remote start feature but I do like having heated seats and steering wheel.

I got leather but it was not a must have for me. Its easier to clean than cloth but gets blistering hot so there is a trade off. This is "my wife's" Jeep so I also got the safety group. The blind spot monitoring is nice since car seats block a little of the view through windows and spare tire blocks a lot of your rear view mirror.

There is an updated steering box that comes on the 2021s but can be installed on earlier years. If it is still under factory bumper to bumper warranty, you should be able to get it installed for free.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Some 2018, 2019, 2020’s had problematic steering. I have a 2020 and don’t. If you want to buy the 2019, drive it, at freeway speeds on the intertate for a good 10-15 miles On a non-windy day. Does it wander? Are you constantly making corrections to the steering to keep it straight? Does it have a large dead spot in the center of the wheel? Does it fundamentally need more attention to keep straight than the 2021 that you have already driven? If so, it needs the new steering box. if you want to buy it, have your dealer install the new steel box as part of the sale. If the 2019 drives the same as the 2021 you test drove, then the box is fine.
Sponsored

Last edited: