First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Really? £1 = $1.26 How can that make US prices less than U.K.?
And it seems extremely unlikely that something manufactured in the U.K. is going to cost less in the US after it’s been shipped, doesn’t it
Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
And it seems extremely unlikely that something manufactured in the U.K. is going to cost less in the US after it’s been shipped, doesn’t it
guess you haven’t been paying attention. Just looked at Land Rover uk vs usa. A base defender with p300 gas engine is £48,655, and the same car on lr usa is $49,990. Like i said usually around the same number, sometimes lower in usd, but always actually cheaper due to exchange rates.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
The UK price you quoted includes taxes, that’s not the case in the US is it.

To make it a bit easier for you the U.K. price (£48655) is just under £40000 If you take out the taxes.

Last edited:

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
guess you haven’t been paying attention. Just looked at Land Rover uk vs usa. A base defender with p300 gas engine is £48,655, and the same car on lr usa is $49,990. Like i said usually around the same number, sometimes lower in usd, but always actually cheaper due to exchange rates.
The exchange rates mean there are always more dollars than pounds lol

Last edited:

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
The exchange rates mean there are always more dollars than pounds lol
Let me break this down for you. £48,655 x 1.26 = 61,305 usd. $49,990 plus 8% average tax rate (zero in some states like Oregon but whatever lets use worst case) is 53,989.
The car is literally less expensive in the US, and the grenadier will be too. Sorry brit.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Let me break this down for you. £48,655 x 1.26 = 61,305 usd. $49,990 plus 8% average tax rate (zero in some states like Oregon but whatever lets use worst case) is 53,989.
The car is literally less expensive in the US, and the grenadier will be too. Sorry brit.
lol

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I get it man, math isn't your thing. Just stick to what you're good at, whatever that is.
There’s no point in this discusssion If you can’t see what you did wrong there. Good day to you.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
There’s no point in this discusssion If you can’t see what you did wrong there. Good day to you.
come on, give it a shot, try to prove how a person could NOT pay that much in pounds today to buy the car, and if i needed to convert my usd to pounds, that it wouldnt cost that exact amount in usd. And then prove how the price plus the tax of the state you are in in usa does not equal less than that number.

Im waiting

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
come on, give it a shot, try to prove how a person could NOT pay that much in pounds today to buy the car, and if i needed to convert my usd to pounds, that it wouldnt cost that exact amount in usd. And then prove how the price plus the tax of the state you are in in usa does not equal less than that number.

Im waiting
lol

It’s obviously important to you to have the last word so go ahead. I don’t care

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Bwahahaha When converting you have to divide by the exchange rate when you are using the larger currency. Worse than that the P300 is available in the UK before taxes much less than the price you have listed. The build and price tool shows that it can "theoretically" be had for only 43,385. Plus you aren't even figuring shipping costs, and taxes when importing a vehicle to the UK.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Bwahahaha When converting you have to divide by the exchange rate when you are using the larger currency. Worse than that the P300 is available in the UK before taxes much less than the price you have listed. The build and price tool shows that it can "theoretically" be had for only 43,385. Plus you aren't even figuring shipping costs, and taxes when importing a vehicle to the UK.

bahahhah? Do you know what you are talking about? In some cases you divide, in some you multiply. In this case, at the time 1 pound = 1.26 usd, so multiplying the pounds by that factor is perfectly fine. If the exchange rate was reversed, so say 1 USD = 0.79 pound, then you would divide 48,655 by 0.79. You clearly didnt think this through.

Are you saying you can buy a defender in the UK without paying taxes? I compared a tax-included US price to a tax included defender price. The price in the US is less. Also, in some states, you literally dont have to pay tax.

So what else you got?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
https://www.google.com/search?q=cur...j69i57j0l6.14077j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Excuse my day drinking on my weekend. But 49,900 US is 38590.41 Sterling. But again, that is before shipping costs and taxes. Oh and the excise tax includes shipping costs, and any other costs that are required in the country you are trying to export it from. So if you were to buy it somewhere on the East coast to reduce shipping charges, you still have to pay US tax, shipping of around 1500, and then once it's in the UK it's hit with another 20% of the current total as tax. It would be an additional 10 on top of that for vehicles not made in the EU. So definitely not cheaper than someone just buying a vehicle built in the UK, in the UK. Duh.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
https://www.google.com/search?q=cur...j69i57j0l6.14077j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Excuse my day drinking on my weekend. But 49,900 US is 38590.41 Sterling. But again, that is before shipping costs and taxes. Oh and the excise tax includes shipping costs, and any other costs that are required in the country you are trying to export it from. So if you were to buy it somewhere on the East coast to reduce shipping charges, you still have to pay US tax, shipping of around 1500, and then once it's in the UK it's hit with another 20% of the current total as tax. It would be an additional 10 on top of that for vehicles not made in the EU. So definitely not cheaper than someone just buying a vehicle built in the UK, in the UK. Duh.

No one is talking about importing cars from one country to another my dude. I was saying that the same car tends to cost less in the US than in the UK. That's true. Buying a US spec defender from a US dealer is cheaper than if you lived in UK, and bought a UK spec defender from a UK dealer.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
No one is talking about importing cars from one country to another my dude. I was saying that the same car tends to cost less in the US than in the UK. That's true. Buying a US spec defender from a US dealer is cheaper than if you lived in UK, and bought a UK spec defender from a UK dealer.
UK taxes are a bitch. That 20% is already applied to their price as I understand it. So US prices are going to be less. Wouldn't matter if it's a car from the UK or a car from the US. It's the taxes that kill it.
Sponsored