First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
People are like politicians. I have built several on their website. You can get one for less than 70 or 80, unless your including interest over the entire amortization of the loan and have poor credit with a champagne taste. They start at 50, that’s what a rubicon is priced at. For that small difference I will get the Defender.
Great, enjoy the Land Rover - we will happily not wave to you.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ReggieFred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
OP, I do have a question: why on earth would you come on a Jeep site, flame FCA and Wranglers, and be an obvious fanboy of LandRover?
Do you read the posts here about all of the crappy QC at FCA? People sure hate the trut, especially when it‘s obvious. That’s how trump behaves. I am not a fanboy of Land Rover. I posted my experience about a newly designed vehicle. Nobody knows it’s future.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you read the posts here about all of the crappy QC at FCA? People sure hate the trut, especially when it‘s obvious. That’s how trump behaves. I am not a fanboy of Land Rover. I posted my experience about a newly designed vehicle. Nobody knows it’s future.
What if I told you we could have predicted the future of the new JL when it launched?

Ok, so maybe not the specific issues, but that there would be issues

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
I test drove the new Land Rover Defender yesterday. Very nice. The dealership had 4 to look at and one was really optioned well. I drove the base S.E. model.
It will be interesting to see how they really perform offroad. Still find it ironic that India now owns both Land Rover and Jaguar

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
We are comparing apples and oranges here. I grew up around the original defenders in the middle east. It was modeled after the Jeep and it’s serviceability in the wild. There are still decades old defenders running around because they can be fixed by shade tree mechanics and parts can be made by a machinist in a shop (i.e. broken axle parts, welds etc)

The new Defender on the other hand is the opposite of that. Everything will need to be sorted by the dealer. These will be vehicles that will be leased more than owned (like the Range Rovers) because they have a certain shelf life due to it’s complicated nature (air suspension, massive amount of electronics etc).

Most of the guys you are talking to here love to modify their vehicles and can work on their Jeeps (they are tinkerers). They take these Jeeps off-roading quite a lot and seriously put them through it’s paces. The aftermarket parts availability on Wranglers in particular is second to none. People buy them and hold on to them for a long time. They modify them and make them their own.

This won’t be available for the Defender as they have made this into a closed platform that only Land Rover can touch and modify. It is a new vehicle and I may be proven wrong and there could be a good aftermarket support in the future, but highly unlikely.

It’s kinda odd to me that you’re a very new member and posting this on a JL Wrangler forum and trying to fan the flames. Whatever your goals may be, good luck with your new purchase, and enjoy it. Hopefully I was helpful in getting the point across that these are two off-road vehicles that are completely opposite of each other and the owners alike.

Last edited:

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I saw one at the dealership in Littleton last weekend. Looked nice on the inside but overall really didn’t care for the exterior styling, especially the rear. The up charge for the “off-road tires” also made me chuckle. I think this will be a great vehicle for people who want comfort in an off-road vehicle but never actually plan on taking it off-road.

D04417DF-4A06-4734-8FF6-50D702F5393F.jpeg

1C59006C-E642-43E3-B3B0-13DD6A290890.jpeg

5CB283C7-4637-4B06-8EDA-32D693CFE389.jpeg

46C670CE-9A74-44CA-BE2B-BC9EFF5E071E.jpeg

8A536ED1-B8EB-48AA-893D-16477C76CFA0.jpeg

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I saw one at the dealership in Littleton last weekend. Looked nice on the inside but overall really didn’t care for the exterior styling, especially the rear. The up charge for the “off-road tires” also made me chuckle. I think this will be a great vehicle for people who want comfort in an off-road vehicle but never actually plan on taking it off-road.

Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove Land Rover Defender 8A536ED1-B8EB-48AA-893D-16477C76CFA0

Jeep Wrangler JL Test drove Land Rover Defender 8A536ED1-B8EB-48AA-893D-16477C76CFA0

That's a steep price for a HONDA ELEMENT. Oh wait, that's the new Defender? They totally destroyed the exterior. I would take a 1990s defender over this any day of the week. They killed the rugged design.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's a steep price for a HONDA ELEMENT. Oh wait, that's the new Defender? They totally destroyed the exterior. I would take a 1990s defender over this any day of the week. They killed the rugged design.
What do you mean they killed the rugged design? They got it up on that curb didn’t they?!?;)
On second thought, maybe they got it up there using a crane.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
What do you mean they killed the rugged design? They got it up on that curb didn’t they?!?;)
On second thought, maybe they got it up there using a crane.
probably had to put it in full Offroad height and then use rock crawl mode to get up that steep curb

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
probably had to put it in full Offroad height and then use rock crawl mode to get up that steep curb
Yes those curbs can be treacherous! But....it's amazing what these Honda Element rebadge units can do and they are only 3 times as expensive!!!

Biggest question I have: Why is the OP even on this site? Is he the "Defender's Defender"?

Reactions: VNT

gbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I dropped by the local LR dealer to take a closer look, largely because I love cars and will happily paw at anything new and noteworthy. A couple of impressions:

The interior materials are really quite nice and seem like they’ll wear well over time.

The seats are pretty great with proper support and adjustability. It’s a vehicle built for cushy, days-long road trips.

There’s just TONS of storage nooks and crannies in the 110. I’m a little jealous here, coming from the 2-dr.

The doors are absolute slabs, and not in a good way. Heavy as hell and lifeless. Seems like a nightmare to live with in this regard.

Inside, the visibility out is atrocious. God forbid you get in one without a sunroof option. Reminded me of the FJ.

Outside, it feels sorta giant-size with little hope of knowing where the edges are from the driver seat. A buffalo of a vehicle.

To end on a more positive note, the factory roof rack and built-in ladder are pretty cool looking and seem pretty rugged. The roofs includes some platforms at the back, so it’s not just a set of crossbars.

Going in to see it for the first time, I thought it might pose a threat to higher priced Wranglers. After laying eyes on it up close, it’s clear that the markets don’t overlap much if at all. Definitely not something for me.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I dropped by the local LR dealer to take a closer look, largely because I love cars and will happily paw at anything new and noteworthy. A couple of impressions:

The interior materials are really quite nice and seem like they’ll wear well over time.

The seats are pretty great with proper support and adjustability. It’s a vehicle built for cushy, days-long road trips.

There’s just TONS of storage nooks and crannies in the 110. I’m a little jealous here, coming from the 2-dr.

The doors are absolute slabs, and not in a good way. Heavy as hell and lifeless. Seems like a nightmare to live with in this regard.

Inside, the visibility out is atrocious. God forbid you get in one without a sunroof option. Reminded me of the FJ.

Outside, it feels sorta giant-size with little hope of knowing where the edges are from the driver seat. A buffalo of a vehicle.

To end on a more positive note, the factory roof rack and built-in ladder are pretty cool looking and seem pretty rugged. The roofs includes some platforms at the back, so it’s not just a set of crossbars.

Going in to see it for the first time, I thought it might pose a threat to higher priced Wranglers. After laying eyes on it up close, it’s clear that the markets don’t overlap much if at all. Definitely not something for me.
Jeep only sell 300/400 Wranglers a year here in the U.K. so there is little point in Land Rover developing a Defender to compete.As you say the markets no longer overlap.

Farmers and the likes of utility companies who might have bought Defenders back in the day have moved on to Japanese pick ups because they’re cheap, reliable and take the abuse. The market has changed.

ratherbskiing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUWD
I'm currently seriously shopping both the defender and a 3.0 JLU. My desired Defender and JLUR builds are both coming out around $63K.

It's critical that my next vehicle have off road capability. I currently have a JKU with mods that sees frequent off road and overland duty here in Utah where I live. Just this morning I spent about 15 miles in 4L getting to and from an incredibly remote trailhead. I also tow an off-road teardrop. I also need the same vehicle to be my DD which is where the JKU really suffers. (Long highway commute)

I'm liking many things about the defender including more cargo space for my growing family, much better towing, and an interior that was not conceived in 1941. Of course, I have doubts that I will be able to beat a defender like I do to my, admittedly reliable, JKU.

I understand that it might not be for you, but for the same money, it's hard to ignore the value of an LRD. I'm thrilled that Jeep continues to see more competition enter the market.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I'm currently seriously shopping both the defender and a 3.0 JLU. My desired Defender and JLUR builds are both coming out around $63K.

It's critical that my next vehicle have off road capability. I currently have a JKU with mods that sees frequent off road and overland duty here in Utah where I live. Just this morning I spent about 15 miles in 4L getting to and from an incredibly remote trailhead. I also tow an off-road teardrop. I also need the same vehicle to be my DD which is where the JKU really suffers. (Long highway commute)

I'm liking many things about the defender including more cargo space for my growing family, much better towing, and an interior that was not conceived in 1941. Of course, I have doubts that I will be able to beat a defender like I do to my, admittedly reliable, JKU.

I understand that it might not be for you, but for the same money, it's hard to ignore the value of an LRD. I'm thrilled that Jeep continues to see more competition enter the market.
Wait til July 13th.

Then preorder a Bronco.

The Bronco is what you seek, my friend.
Sponsored