Test drove Land Rover Defender

OP
OP

ReggieFred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Never said it was but i can only assume that the quality or lack there of is same since they both are land rovers. They high priced, high cost of maintenance with poor resale value. We looked at trading it in but the blue book came in @ $46k and we just paid $81K a year earlier.
The resale and maintenance I agree with, but assuming is why this country is pathetic currently. The wrangler is not a vehicle that lacks maintenance. Each factory has different views on quality too. Something made in Japan is usually far superior than something made here. But don’t forget that defenders are not a 5 year investment. It take 15 to 20 years to really benefit and appreciate it. There are only a few vehicles that hold value. 4Runner and wrangler are two. We need to be proud of what we do instead of being proud of what we have.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Prioritypest

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 2019 Land Rover Discovery 2020 Jeep Willys
The resale and maintenance I agree with, but assuming is why this country is pathetic currently. The wrangler is not a vehicle that lacks maintenance. Each factory has different views on quality.

Not really an assumption, my wife's sister also bought a 2019 HSE Lux the same day and its had issues as well, not nearly as many as my wife's but more than expected for a high end luxury vehicle.

Issues that both have had:

Leaky front windshield, i was able to push my wife's out when she told me to check and see where the water was coming from.

Backup cam doesn't always come on when its in reverse. I almost ran over a lady

Leaky sunroofs,

Remotes that the car wont recognize so the car cant be started.

My wife's list is a lot longer.

Oh and the $699.00 15k service was a shocker.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Not really an assumption, my wife's sister also bought a 2019 HSE Lux the same day and its had issues as well, not nearly as many as my wife's but more than expected for a high end luxury vehicle.

Issues that both have had:

Leaky front windshield, i was able to push my wife's out when she told me to check and see where the water was coming from.

Backup cam doesn't always come on when its in reverse. I almost ran over a lady

Leaky sunroofs,

Remotes that the car wont recognize so the car cant be started.

My wife's list is a lot longer.

Oh and the $699.00 15k service was a shocker.
Scary part is they all have the same issues over time, I laughed at the salesman when he told me 15K oil changes but he was dead serious. I keep that to 4k on the 5.0 and both 4.4's.

Prioritypest

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are pretty though

Jeep.jpg

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
People are like politicians. I have built several on their website. You can get one for less than 70 or 80, unless your including interest over the entire amortization of the loan and have poor credit with a champagne taste. They start at 50, that’s what a rubicon is priced at. For that small difference I will get the Defender.
I'm very happy for you and the rest of the JL forum. We won't have to listen to you piss and moan over every insignificant issue. Good luck with one of the ugliest vehicles on the road.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
The discovery is not a defender, just like the GC is not a Wrangler.
Wishful thinking. Land Rover is the symbol of unreliability the world over. In particular with electronics. They do make some of the most attractive vehicles out there though. But if you're planning on not getting stranded, look elsewhere.

There was a video of a guy who had trouble with a hose burning off driving 10 miles form the dealership in his new Defender. Land Rover couldn't fix it but the guy managed to fix it:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-gasoline-particulate-filter.52948/

These guys had the money to fight them:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/busine...y/news-story/fd6563e03972631a871542682bce39e9

They are so unreliable, people have put websites together just because of the issues:
http://www.landroverproblems.com/

If it's a toss up between a Wrangler and something that looks like a Kia with equal or worse reliability and bad design almost everywhere (those rear passenger view blockout panels, the tunnels in the roof that are pathetic in functionality and placement, etc.), you haven't understood the Wrangler.

Reactions: VNT
OP
OP

ReggieFred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Wishful thinking. Land Rover is the symbol of unreliability the world over. In particular with electronics. They do make some of the most attractive vehicles out there though. But if you're planning on not getting stranded, look elsewhere.

There was a video of a guy who had trouble with a hose burning off driving 10 miles form the dealership in his new Defender. Land Rover couldn't fix it but the guy managed to fix it:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-gasoline-particulate-filter.52948/

These guys had the money to fight them:
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/busine...y/news-story/fd6563e03972631a871542682bce39e9

They are so unreliable, people have put websites together just because of the issues:
http://www.landroverproblems.com/

If it's a toss up between a Wrangler and something that looks like a Kia with equal or worse reliability and bad design almost everywhere (those rear passenger view blockout panels, the tunnels in the roof that are pathetic in functionality and placement, etc.), you haven't understood the Wrangler.
So you own a 2020 year model defender and have that much knowledge already. I understand the wrangler, it’s a money pit with some pretty horrible customer service and QC. If you spend 45K and then have disassemble it to make it better, that’s a serious problem. The current wranglers have an equal number a fires, failures and breakdowns.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So you own a 2020 year model defender and have that much knowledge already. I understand the wrangler, it’s a money pit with some pretty horrible customer service and QC. If you spend 45K and then have disassemble it to make it better, that’s a serious problem. The current wranglers have an equal number a fires, failures and breakdowns.
Yup but the highest resale value of any vehicle!!! Go figure. See what your LR's are worth in 5 years.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Cant believe people think it looks good. I think its terrible all around. Terrible styling, soft roader unibody, no credibility. I think this will bankrupt JLR, seriously. None of their vehicles has any off road cred now. They need an anchor vehicle with true cred that the other can siphon off of. This is the end of Land Rover.
The Defender has to succeed in it’s home market first and foremost. Our market no longer demands an off road capable vehicle in the mould of the Wranger or the original Land Rovers. The new Defender is going to sell to urban hipsters and for the school run, just like the other Range Rover products.

Sure, JLR, like any automotive. manufacturer, is currently in trouble. They’ve reportedly ‘lost’ around £500m in the current crisis. They have though received some massive subsidies from the U.K. government to invest in EV technology and manufacture.

I think it’s unlikely we will see the end of JLR in the short/medium term. Despite their products, reliability and dreadful dealerships it’s still overall a successful company and a significant employer in the U.K.

Of course the new Defender is being manufactured at their plant in Slovakia not in the U.K. Whether or not that is a plus or a minus is a whole other conversation!

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
When people have touched the flame and gotten burned, only a fool would want to try out themselves.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks like a rebadged Honda Element.

Prioritypest

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reggiefred i wont flame you, you buy what ever makes you happy. I own two fca vehicles and a land rover so i am probably not the sharpest tool in the shed.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
Never said it was but i can only assume that the quality or lack there of is same since they both are land rovers. They high priced, high cost of maintenance with poor resale value. We looked at trading it in but the blue book came in @ $46k and we just paid $81K a year earlier.
I felt that pain when I traded in my Cadillac ESV..

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
OP, I do have a question: why on earth would you come on a Jeep site, flame FCA and Wranglers, and be an obvious fanboy of LandRover?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted them to get the Defender right as I loved the outgoing model. Have always wanted one. Saw what they released and it took less than a second to know they screwed it up and I’d never buy one. Worse yet, it’s made me want to buy one of the earlier models less as a result. Totally killed a dream for me.

Between my wife and I all we own are Jaguars and Wranglers. A low quality Land Rover would fit right in.
Sponsored