Sponsored

Test drove about 15 cars in the last month and...

Strikeeagle345

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLU Willys 2.0T
If it wasn't for COVID, I probably would have kept my Tiguan (162K miles) and used it as a winter/dog car and bought one of the sports cars. Then when the Tiguan died, I'd get the Jeep. But then the used car market got all screwed up and I figured I was safer financially buying a brand new Jeep with a warranty over keeping the Tiguan and buying a used sports car and hoping to get lucky with a good one. But no matter what I bought, the top was opening up.
This is exactly what I did. Sold my Nissan Maxima for almost 10K over what I bought it for. Was just about out of warranty on it and was a no brainer. Was able to get the Jeep I always wanted.
Sponsored

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
I didnā€™t drive anything else, didnā€™t want toā€¦..after 15 years of waiting, I felt like this was the last opportunity to buy a fun old-school vehicle brand new.
It has all the things that make the future angryā€¦.big V8 power, loud as a rock concert, consumes a dead dinosaur at each fill up, open top, doesnā€™t drive itself, makes no apologies for being a bad ass.

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Although they can be a reliability nightmare and cost a bit more, I havent seen mentionned the Land Rover Defender in your list.

LR are one of very few others, that like Jeep wranglers, seem to have a soul. It was definitely the case with the 1st and 2nd generation Discovery, which remains to this day, the vehicle I loved the most to drive AND the one I hated the most to own.
Yes to this. We had a couple of older range rovers and a new defender out with us 2 weekends ago in our off-road group. Those range rovers did everything that we did in our jeeps and didnt miss a beat. Wouldnt swap my Jeep for one though LOL! they dont have the ā€˜itā€™ factor for me :)

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Buyers get stuck in Jeeps and Porsches. Nothing wrong with getting stuck earlier than most learn it. There is not a replacement for either. I will happily drive both until I am in the ground.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I stopped driving sport cars a while back due to ease of speeding.
I sold a Kawasaki, the best motorcycle I've ever owned, simply because it was too bloody easy to go felony fast on it. It was sneaky in that regard, doubly so since it was "just" a sport tourer.

It took some time, but after making peace with the reality that the bike would eventually put me in a cell, or a box, I made the decision to let it go. Some days I miss it, some days I don't. Maybe that's how these things go. :beer:

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
I always pick the Jeep when the wife and I go out, as it is far too easy to speed in her Mustang convertible. The only tickets I am rumored to have gotten though 35+ years of driving are of the speeding variety. I was fortunate to get a number of warnings and time my speeding tickets to be able to take traffic school.
I have driven sports cars most of my life. Only tickets I have ever gotten were for speeding also. Until I got pulled over by a trooper and accused of racing an Acura sedan lol. Who the hell does that? Was doing the speed limit when he pulled us both over. Took me $1500 and 6 months to finally clear that up. At that point I bought a truck because I loved to drive fast. I liked my truck but still wasnt quite what I wanted. Didnt know I wanted a Jeep til we got my wife's. Loved it so much a week to the day I went and got mine. Will probably have a Jeep for now own as long as we dont have much trouble out of them and they keep making them worth buying for years to come.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I think that most of us, if we are honest about it, have at least thought about maybe purchasing a different brand model 4x4. But when I look at them on the streets, and or the parking lots, I donā€™t see anything else that I have any interest in, including driving one. I have been into Jeeps since the 70ā€™s, and have no desire to have and or drive anything, other than a Wrangler. They are in a class of their own..IMO.
But other than 4x4ā€™s, I have owned my share of Corvettes, and Harleyā€™s.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I agree with both the OP and others that there really is nothing like it. I've owned only sportscars my entire life. 66 Mustang, 95 Camaro, 00 Firebird convertible, 02 Trans Am WS-6, 08 Pontiac G8GT, 17 Camaro SS. I've always needed a car that is "fun". Something that is more than just an A-to-B car. Something that stirs feelings both when I look at it, and when I drive it.

But, a few things happened that made me rethink being able to drive a sportscar for a while. Kids were getting bigger, schools were in neighborhoods with horrible streets, got a boat.

So I needed something that fit the following criteria:

- seats 4
- tows 5500lbs
- able to handle potholes
- is "fun"

Plenty vehicles (trucks) hit the first 3. But, I drove 4-5 full- and mid-size trucks. They were fine. But, not fun. They were just "get in, start, turn on the radio, zone out".

The Jeep? It does all those things (sure, it doesn't tow as well as an F250, but it does fine). Plus, you can drive naked and have a friggin' blast just going to get groceries!

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Its all my wife or I drive. Just ordered my wife a 2023 JLR and there is no way we are selling her 2018 JLUR nor my 2013 JKU. They are a big part of our lives, in that we drive them to work, on vacations, hunting, fishing everywhere. We do all our own maintenance and modifications. We even mount our own tires on hers, She just had to have Hutchinson bead locks ...... (they are sweet and tough as nails). It's a labor of love.....or a mental disorder.
You must be doing something right if your better half 'has to have' beadlocks! :like:

Sponsored

Zanner1718

First Name
Suzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 GMC Yukon Tex Ed, '22 Cadillac CT5
3 weeks ago I was driving a Yukon SLT and now I'm in my Rubi. Handing the keys of the Yukon to my daughter to drive when she gets her license in a week or so. Until then, I try to drive it at least once a week just to get it out of the garage. I get in, and the comfort is just amazing. Smooth ride, comfortable big seats, etc. I hate it. I miss my Rubi on those days! šŸ˜‚

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Due to a family issue I sold off my JK back in 2015. Over the Covid time period I had way too much time on my hands. When things opened up, we took care of our needs and wants and took a few quick vacations. One to the Poconos where we rented a Polaris Slingshot and had a great time with that. The second one was to Orlando/Disney and a new 2022 Mustang convertible was our car for down there.

Later on in about June the wife and I started seriously looking for a Jeep. We went used and I looked at everything that would drive darn near. YJ, TJ, JK, JLā€™s and with my knowledge I knew what to look for for problem areas. I got disgusted with the local dealers for wat they were trying to hide. The worst was a 2014 JK Sport that was so thick with undercoating to hide a rotting frame, that I nearly gave up looking.

So August comes around, and my oldest daughter and her crew had a spare bedroom in a Cabin in the Smokies. They invited us to go so we did. Now I knew NOTHING about the Great Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion that was going on, but it was like I had died and gone to Jeep Heaven.
As we were slightly off the interstate, we saw what I would have considered the Jeep that we had been looking for. It hit all the right marks for BOTH of us, color, Hard Top, Stick for me, super low miles and a Florida vehicle from new.

Now you never plan on making a major purchase like this while on vacation, but it happened to us. Now a couple of months and about 4000 miles on the Jeep more than when purchased, I can honestly say it was the best thing we could have done for ourselves!

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I always wanted a Jeep when I was a kid. My dad and grandpa were both previously in the Army and hated the military versions for being prone to "rolling", wouldnt let me have one. It wasnt until I was 25 and bought a TJ brand new that I had my first Jeep. I'm on my 5th one since, nothing is a Jeep. I've sold vehicles the last 10 years and have driven everything, people do often ask me what I think about a certain car when they're trying one out. My answer most of the time, I have a Jeep, its not quiet, its not comfortable, it doesnt ride very well, gets terrible fuel economy, but I wouldnt own anything else.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I have driven sports cars most of my life. Only tickets I have ever gotten were for speeding also. Until I got pulled over by a trooper and accused of racing an Acura sedan lol. Who the hell does that? Was doing the speed limit when he pulled us both over. Took me $1500 and 6 months to finally clear that up. At that point I bought a truck because I loved to drive fast. I liked my truck but still wasnt quite what I wanted. Didnt know I wanted a Jeep til we got my wife's. Loved it so much a week to the day I went and got mine. Will probably have a Jeep for now own as long as we dont have much trouble out of them and they keep making them worth buying for years to come.
That story reminds me of that scene in Horrible Bosses, with the great Jason Bateman response to Ron White's question "You were drag racing in a Prius?" ..... "I don't win a lot"

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
My DD is a Laramie Ram and we sold the Wife's 4Runner for the Jeep. I was shocked at how well it rode and soaked up bumps. I was expecting my Dad's old Kubota tractor as far as ride would go. We only test drove a lifted 2018 with giant tires so no comparison to stock. I honestly think it rides better than my truck.
Sponsored