Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Here you go :rock::LOL:

97EAFA8E-2F17-44AC-AAE2-9C04D56D2287.jpeg
They should have equipped these with the multi-part grille so the outer edge is body-color. Come on FCA!

The silly one-piece grille is a thorn in my side; I wanted to get the Mopar matte black grille and discovered I'd have to spend hundreds more and have several pieces painted to do it.
Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Steering felt awkward probably because the dealerships insists on keeping about 42 psi of air in the tires. Drop it to around 33-36 psi and it should drive like a dream.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
They should have equipped these with the multi-part grille so the outer edge is body-color. Come on FCA!

The silly one-piece grille is a thorn in my side; I wanted to get the Mopar matte black grille and discovered I'd have to spend hundreds more and have several pieces painted to do it.
Can you re-use the body-color grille surround trim pieces that came with your Jeep?

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Did you try the V6 or just the 2L Turbo? I strongly suggest you try both before you decide, and I also suggest you try a Sahara and not just the sport. The trim levels are all quite different based on your needs.

Sport = More offroading capability and upgrading to higher quality parts for less money.
Sahara = Luxury model for daily drivers who like to occasionally offroad.
Rubicon = THE offroad vehicle if that's what you like to do a lot of (or save money on the sport and upgrade the snot out of it).

As for the 4L turbo vs the V6, my opinion is if you're serious about offroading, get the V6. If you want more "zippity doo dah" for your city driving, then get the turbo. It's just a FUN ride, but they're all different versions of pretty much the same thing.

The wandering steering wheel CAN be a problem, but don't let it deter you. As others have mentioned, drop the PSI to see if it makes a difference. And drive ALL the Jeeps before you decide which is best for you.

Oh and about that cold weather group... it's a MUST HAVE if you get any cold weather at all. Ditto for the Selec-Trac for snow and ice (unfortunately only available on the Sahara).

CarterRuss

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 07 RS4
Well I went to the dealership again this past weekend and I have to say, I really love the Rubicon looks. I don't know if I can pass one of those up. The punk'n orange on one of those is sweet looking!
As a former owner of a Competition Orange Mustang GT and a Sebring Orange Corvette Grand Sport, I say you are onto something with the Punkn Rubi. Much different than a sports car but not always a bad thing, especially if you still have a ride with some ponies under the hood to get your fix.

IMG_20191103_171627.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
Did you try the V6 or just the 2L Turbo? I strongly suggest you try both before you decide, and I also suggest you try a Sahara and not just the sport. The trim levels are all quite different based on your needs.

Sport = More offroading capability and upgrading to higher quality parts for less money.
Sahara = Luxury model for daily drivers who like to occasionally offroad.
Rubicon = THE offroad vehicle if that's what you like to do a lot of (or save money on the sport and upgrade the snot out of it).

As for the 4L turbo vs the V6, my opinion is if you're serious about offroading, get the V6. If you want more "zippity doo dah" for your city driving, then get the turbo. It's just a FUN ride, but they're all different versions of pretty much the same thing.

The wandering steering wheel CAN be a problem, but don't let it deter you. As others have mentioned, drop the PSI to see if it makes a difference. And drive ALL the Jeeps before you decide which is best for you.

Oh and about that cold weather group... it's a MUST HAVE if you get any cold weather at all. Ditto for the Selec-Trac for snow and ice (unfortunately only available on the Sahara).
The Sahara makes the most sense for me honestly, but I prefer the looks of the Rubicon first, then the Sport S, then the Sahara. Something about the wheels, grill, step assist just doesn't do it for me. They're nice looking but just not as cool looking as the others in my opinion. Maybe I'll see if I can test drive a Sahara and Rubicon this weekend coming up.

I drove the 2.0L. Currently that is the only engine selection we have in the company car lease program, so although I'd like to try the V6, if that's the only engine I can order, then that's already decided.

I'm sure the tire psi was too high, they usually are at the dealers.

We'll see when the time comes what I end up with. For practicality I'm thinking a white Sport S. If I go with what I really want deep down, it's probably an orange Rubicon haha!

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
As a former owner of a Competition Orange Mustang GT and a Sebring Orange Corvette Grand Sport, I say you are onto something with the Punkn Rubi. Much different than a sports car but not always a bad thing, especially if you still have a ride with some ponies under the hood to get your fix.

IMG_20191103_171627.jpg
That's a nice looking Jeep there! Love that color!

I'll still have the Scat Pack and Nova, they have plenty of power. I always wanted to see what the deal was about the Jeeps. They look like a lot of fun! Would make my work commute fun!

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
The Sahara makes the most sense for me honestly, but I prefer the looks of the Rubicon first, then the Sport S, then the Sahara. Something about the wheels, grill, step assist just doesn't do it for me. They're nice looking but just not as cool looking as the others in my opinion. Maybe I'll see if I can test drive a Sahara and Rubicon this weekend coming up.
I completely agree with you. I fought HARD for a Rubicon, but in the end we went with the Sahara for a couple major reasons.

1. I live in Northern BC Canada where we get a LOT of winter. Snow, ice, and everything else in between. The Selec-Trac is almost a requirement here (it's not, but it's a really, REALLY nice feature to have). I also really wanted a 2L Turbo, and getting a 2L Rubicon seemed... well... it just felt wrong.

2. It's primarily a daily driver and the only off-roading I do is FSR's and the occasional backroads (no rock crawling, etc). I don't need the suspension the Rubi has to offer (although I did fight for it, due to my lust of it's looks). I would have been buying it for looks alone, but if you do some searching you'll see that there are some pretty badass looking Sahara's out there.

We started with finding a good looking tire that fit a 17" black rim (stock rims are 18"), ditched that silly looking step for rock rails, and changed the colour top to the dual top (which came with the black hardtop). I'll likely give it a small lift later, maybe a steel bumper, a winch, etc. Everything you mentioned is changeable (grill, step assist, wheels, etc). There are a couple of Sahara's in my city that blow my mind. If they said "Rubicon" on the hood, I might believe them.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I completely agree with you. I fought HARD for a Rubicon, but in the end we went with the Sahara for a couple major reasons.

1. I live in Northern BC Canada where we get a LOT of winter. Snow, ice, and everything else in between. The Selec-Trac is almost a requirement here (it's not, but it's a really, REALLY nice feature to have). I also really wanted a 2L Turbo, and getting a 2L Rubicon seemed... well... it just felt wrong.

2. It's primarily a daily driver and the only off-roading I do is FSR's and the occasional backroads (no rock crawling, etc). I don't need the suspension the Rubi has to offer (although I did fight for it, due to my lust of it's looks). I would have been buying it for looks alone, but if you do some searching you'll see that there are some pretty badass looking Sahara's out there.

We started with finding a good looking tire that fit a 17" black rim (stock rims are 18"), ditched that silly looking step for rock rails, and changed the colour top to the dual top (which came with the black hardtop). I'll likely give it a small lift later, maybe a steel bumper, a winch, etc. Everything you mentioned is changeable (grill, step assist, wheels, etc). There are a couple of Sahara's in my city that blow my mind. If they said "Rubicon" on the hood, I might believe them.
The thing for me is this is a 1 year company lease, so I can't modify anything, so whatever I order and get is it. I can't change out wheels or anything like that.

The more I think about it, the Sport S probably makes the most sense. I'll just have to keep looking and see what it comes down to when I order. Won't be ordering until December sometime.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Can you re-use the body-color grille surround trim pieces that came with your Jeep?
That's the rub. On the Rubicon/Sahara, the grille and body-color surround are different parts. On the Sport (and apparently the Willys) it's just a single piece that has a groove to simulate the division between grille and body. So, if you want a black grille (or matte w/ the Mopar accessory) and body-color trim, you gotta have them painted (or buy the trim pieces ... I'm not completely sure if they're included with the Mopar matte black grille or not).

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That's the rub. On the Rubicon/Sahara, the grille and body-color surround are different parts. On the Sport (and apparently the Willys) it's just a single piece that has a groove to simulate the division between grille and body. So, if you want a black grille (or matte w/ the Mopar accessory) and body-color trim, you gotta have them painted (or buy the trim pieces ... I'm not completely sure if they're included with the Mopar matte black grille or not).
Sounds like you are better off plastidipping the main section of your OE grille.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Sounds like you are better off plastidipping the main section of your OE grille.
I've thought about it... but, the groove is pretty fat, so it would have to be masked off, and that's a dicey proposition with plastidip.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I’ve owned Rubicons and Saharas over the years. While I’ve done serious off-roading in my Rubicons, IMO Saharas offer the “sweet spot” in off-road capability vs on-road comfort and every-day practicality.
Exactly:like: If only the Sahara came in a 2 door:crying:

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I agree on the Sahara and Selec-Trac; it’s a great combo! The steering feel on my JL is okay: not too bad but not the best either.

I like the SAHARA decal on your hood. Could you post a closeup and where you got it? Thanks!
I have to find the site I ordered it from. I'll find it and post it. Next few hours. Glad you like it. It looks great!

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered my Jeep today. Decided to go with the Sport S. Rubicon is awesome, but I'd never use any of the off road features it has to justify the higher price. The Sahara is nice but after looking at several on the dealer lots, I really liked/preferred the looks and price of the Sport S. So I ordered a white 4 door with the 2.0L automatic and hardtop, headliner, and tech package. Should arrive sometime in January hopefully.

Looking forward to driving a Jeep!
Sponsored