Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
cdahl383
i wouldnt worry too much from the test drive, it sounds like you are going for it. so i say go for it. once you get it, the first thing you need to do is air down the tire pressure to 35-37 and run with that. see how it feels. then air it down to 33-34. you will feel the difference in the steering. the ride in 2 or 4 door is a heck of a lot better than you would think and you'll get use to it as you drive it. in my opinion i would get the v6 and 8 spd auto. that's the best combo that jeep has to offer. mpg can range 18-21 around town and 25-29 on the highway. i love my 2 door sport with the v6 and auto. it's well worth it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
in my opinion i would get the v6 and 8 spd auto. that's the best combo that jeep has to offer. mpg can range 18-21 around town and 25-29 on the highway. i love my 2 door sport with the v6 and auto. it's well worth it.
IMO too, well said!

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Personally, I love the turbo 4. Drove both, and for me the turbo 4 was just more fun (person opinion). Mine has the BSG, and I think that helps with the instant torque and smoother shifts. Test both motors, get what you like best. It is a one year lease, do reliability shouldn't be a concern (most say v6 because tried and true.....I say turbo because it was designed by Italians who like to go quick... reliability...I just got the extended warranty lol).

On the roof.....I came from a hard top jk. Said never a soft top. Test drove a v6 hardtop, turbo soft top. Soft top all day!!! I would suggest getting both tops. Shouldn't add much to a 1 year lease, and will let you see what is best for you! For me, the soft top is almost as quiet as the hard top. Open it a ton more, more options, sunrider, safari, down, off. However the back window is a pain in the ass.

Most of all, drive the crap out if it.
IMG_20190720_190135.jpg

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Gorgeous! I love the white and the black grille looks awesome!!
Agree, white looks great with the black grill. Plus it solves the yellowing problem. lol.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I'm planning on getting a new Jeep Wrangler soon and wanted to take one for a test drive. Went to the dealer last weekend and took a Sport Altitude out for a drive with the 2.0L turbo engine and automatic trans. My background is driving mostly muscle cars and trucks (Challengers, Chargers, Ram, S-10, Ranger, etc).

First impression getting into the seat was, wow! I feel like I'm in a little tank! Very cool feel inside. I like the short dash, abrupt windshield, flat hood, and square boxy feel of the inside.

Started it up and took off down the road. Immediately noticed much looser steering feel and much wind noise coming from around the windshield driver door area. I was sort of expecting this though based on what I read on here and other sites. I realize a Jeep Wrangler will not handle/steer like a Challenger Scat Pack. I had to correct the steering more often than in my car to keep it centered which was annoying at first, but within 5 minutes of driving and talking to the sales lady, I didn't even notice it anymore.

The ride was much smoother than I anticipated. I was expecting a very rough and bumpy ride based on how my sister in law's 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door felt, but apparently they have come a long way since then. The ride was very nice in my opinion for something that is a true 4x4 vehicle.

The cab seemed to have a lot of room, plenty of room in the back seat for my kids and plenty of room in the cargo area for luggage going on trips or carting the dog around.

The model I drove had the hard top and headliner, which is what I want to order. It cut down on the whiteness of the interior from the hardtop to an extent and I'm sure it dampens road noise and retains heat/cool air better as well.

Overall I enjoyed the vehicle. I could see myself driving one. I don't think they are as easy to drive as my Challenger or say a Grand Cherokee, but those are more refined cars and Wranglers are supposed to be more rugged. That would be like me expecting my Scat Pack to get 35mpg, it's just not going to happen, it's a muscle car with a big V8, what do you expect? Haha!

I started out wanting a Rubicon because they look so cool, but then went into sticker shock. I started to like the Sport Altitude, but then decided that in person I didn't care for the look of the gloss black wheels. My current favorite is now the Sport S with the silver wheels, hardtop, headliner, and technology package. That's likely what I'll end up ordering. I'm thinking Bright White for the color, even though orange looks really cool.

We have lease deals through work (FCA) where we can lease them for just one year with unlimited miles, so I'm going to try one out and see what it's like. I've always thought Jeep Wranglers were cool looking, and now I have a chance to lease one for a pretty good deal, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Anyway that's my impression. Please feel free to share any input/comments/experiences you had/have with your Jeep as I'd like to hear some more before I order one.

Thanks!
Personally I'd go with the Sahara so you get some luxury with your Wrangler. Leather, heated seats, why not go all the way. I'd also go with the Select Track so you can just flip it in 4wd and leave it when you want to. I have no idea what the steering issues are about because my Wrangler steers perfectly and sharp and not loose or wonder. Ive had Corvettes, Range Rovers, Kia Sorrento that I traded for this, and I think it drives and handles fairly well for a Jeep Wrangler. WHERE do you work to get such a great 1 year lease deal. ???. That's amazing. If you can get a 1 year lease get the top of the line, you only have to pay that for one year, so why not go all the way. Life is way too short. Seriously. Enjoy, I love mine more then anything else I've owned.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
Personally I'd go with the Sahara so you get some luxury with your Wrangler. Leather, heated seats, why not go all the way. I'd also go with the Select Track so you can just flip it in 4wd and leave it when you want to. I have no idea what the steering issues are about because my Wrangler steers perfectly and sharp and not loose or wonder. Ive had Corvettes, Range Rovers, Kia Sorrento that I traded for this, and I think it drives and handles fairly well for a Jeep Wrangler. WHERE do you work to get such a great 1 year lease deal. ???. That's amazing. If you can get a 1 year lease get the top of the line, you only have to pay that for one year, so why not go all the way. Life is way too short. Seriously. Enjoy, I love mine more then anything else I've owned.
I was looking at the Saharas as well, they look really nice too.

I work at FCA at the headquarters. The Rubicons are really cool too, but they're quite a bit more than a Sport S or Sahara. They're cool, but I'd never use 90% of the off road features on a Rubicon which is why I think the Sport S or Sahara would be the better option.

I may stop by the dealership again this weekend to check out a few more in person.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I work at FCA at the headquarters. The Rubicons are really cool too, but they're quite a bit more than a Sport S or Sahara. They're cool, but I'd never use 90% of the off road features on a Rubicon which is why I think the Sport S or Sahara would be the better option.

I may stop by the dealership again this weekend to check out a few more in person.
A one year unlimited miles lease is a great way to try out a Wrangler. It would be fun to see how many miles you can rack up in a year. I would take time off and drive to as many National Parks or trails as possible.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
A one year unlimited miles lease is a great way to try out a Wrangler. It would be fun to see how many miles you can rack up in a year. I would take time off and drive to as many National Parks or trails as possible.
Well I'm leasing a Challenger R/T right now and in 10 months I've racked up 28,000 miles! Haha! Gives you an idea of how long my work commute is and other driving (vacations, up north, etc). I'm sure I'll cross the 30,000 mile mark before I turn it in in mid January. That's a lot of miles in just one year haha!

The Rubicon is really cool looking, but I'd essentially pay for features I'd never realistically use. Plus I don't care for the red dash.

So far I'm set on a white Sport S with the hardtop, headliner, and technology package. I like the silver five spoke wheels, gray dash, and cheaper lease payment. I'm going to check out one with the premium soft top just to be sure I don't rule that out completely.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I went to the dealership again this past weekend and I have to say, I really love the Rubicon looks. I don't know if I can pass one of those up. The punk'n orange on one of those is sweet looking!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I agree on the Sahara and Selec-Trac; it’s a great combo! The steering feel on my JL is okay: not too bad but not the best either.

I like the SAHARA decal on your hood. Could you post a closeup and where you got it? Thanks!

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I’ve owned Rubicons and Saharas over the years. While I’ve done serious off-roading in my Rubicons, IMO Saharas offer the “sweet spot” in off-road capability vs on-road comfort and every-day practicality.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Well I went to the dealership again this past weekend and I have to say, I really love the Rubicon looks. I don't know if I can pass one of those up. The punk'n orange on one of those is sweet looking!
The more you go to the dealer, the harder it will be to resist.

The force is strong you know... ;)

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
I agree on the Sahara and Selec-Trac; it’s a great combo! The steering feel on my JL is okay: not too bad but not the best either.

I like the SAHARA decal on your hood. Could you post a closeup and where you got it? Thanks!
If only they offered it in a 2 door.
Sponsored