Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
73FEAC4C-7B17-4977-85B5-D5AE0BCCFCF1.jpeg
I'm planning on getting a new Jeep Wrangler soon and wanted to take one for a test drive. Went to the dealer last weekend and took a Sport Altitude out for a drive with the 2.0L turbo engine and automatic trans. My background is driving mostly muscle cars and trucks (Challengers, Chargers, Ram, S-10, Ranger, etc).

First impression getting into the seat was, wow! I feel like I'm in a little tank! Very cool feel inside. I like the short dash, abrupt windshield, flat hood, and square boxy feel of the inside.

Started it up and took off down the road. Immediately noticed much looser steering feel and much wind noise coming from around the windshield driver door area. I was sort of expecting this though based on what I read on here and other sites. I realize a Jeep Wrangler will not handle/steer like a Challenger Scat Pack. I had to correct the steering more often than in my car to keep it centered which was annoying at first, but within 5 minutes of driving and talking to the sales lady, I didn't even notice it anymore.

The ride was much smoother than I anticipated. I was expecting a very rough and bumpy ride based on how my sister in law's 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door felt, but apparently they have come a long way since then. The ride was very nice in my opinion for something that is a true 4x4 vehicle.

The cab seemed to have a lot of room, plenty of room in the back seat for my kids and plenty of room in the cargo area for luggage going on trips or carting the dog around.

The model I drove had the hard top and headliner, which is what I want to order. It cut down on the whiteness of the interior from the hardtop to an extent and I'm sure it dampens road noise and retains heat/cool air better as well.

Overall I enjoyed the vehicle. I could see myself driving one. I don't think they are as easy to drive as my Challenger or say a Grand Cherokee, but those are more refined cars and Wranglers are supposed to be more rugged. That would be like me expecting my Scat Pack to get 35mpg, it's just not going to happen, it's a muscle car with a big V8, what do you expect? Haha!

I started out wanting a Rubicon because they look so cool, but then went into sticker shock. I started to like the Sport Altitude, but then decided that in person I didn't care for the look of the gloss black wheels. My current favorite is now the Sport S with the silver wheels, hardtop, headliner, and technology package. That's likely what I'll end up ordering. I'm thinking Bright White for the color, even though orange looks really cool.

We have lease deals through work (FCA) where we can lease them for just one year with unlimited miles, so I'm going to try one out and see what it's like. I've always thought Jeep Wranglers were cool looking, and now I have a chance to lease one for a pretty good deal, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Anyway that's my impression. Please feel free to share any input/comments/experiences you had/have with your Jeep as I'd like to hear some more before I order one.

Thanks!
You should get this package option. You would really love it!!!!!

They have not decided the name yet so itā€™s a bit difficult to order.

They are considering:
Dontmesswithme
and
Let me introduce you to my little friend.
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link

You should get this package option. You would really love it!!!!!

They have not decided the name yet so itā€™s a bit difficult to order.

They are considering:
Dontmesswithme
and
Let me introduce you to my little friend.
Don't forget: My Wife Left Me For A Man With A Bigger Package

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I just picked mine up 3 days ago. Donā€™t get one that wanders! Mine doesnā€™t. Maybe itā€™s normal for wranglers to wander a bit, I wouldnā€™t know since my previous Wrangler didnā€™t and neither does my new one. If itā€™s annoying to you like you said, Iā€™m guessing itā€™s worse than normal and Iā€™d pass on it. Keep test driving them until you get a good one. And good luck!

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I just picked mine up 3 days ago. Donā€™t get one that wanders! Mine doesnā€™t. Maybe itā€™s normal for wranglers to wander a bit, I wouldnā€™t know since my previous Wrangler didnā€™t and neither does my new one. If itā€™s annoying to you like you said, Iā€™m guessing itā€™s worse than normal and Iā€™d pass on it. Keep test driving them until you get a good one. And good luck!
With our lease program we just order the car and then when it comes in we pick it up, so we don't really get to test drive it ahead of time. So I guess I'll just be taking my chances. The one I drove wasn't bad, it just had a little looser steering. I've been driving a Challenger Scat pack and R/T for the last few years and those have excellent steering/handling, so I'm probably going to notice it more than someone who has been driving a Wrangler for years, etc.

If it's really bad I'll bring it back to the dealer and see if I can swap it out. Hopefully it'll be alright. I'll only have it for a year anyway.

You got one of the Willys Wranglers? How do you like it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
Don't forget to check the air pressure in the tires, mine was 44 psi from the dealer and wandered too, dropped to 34 and it's nice.
Excellent point. I have no idea what the tire psi was when I drove that one at the dealership. Like you said, probably way high. When I picked up my Challenger a few years ago the tires were at 45psi and they're supposed to be 32psi cold and maybe 34-36psi hot. Needless to say it rode a lot smoother once I dropped them to where they should be.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
That's a cool color! I'm a big fan of orange! My old Nova is a bright orange color...

IMG_3861.JPG
Damn that Nova is GORGEOUS.

Isnā€™t the Altitude only available on a 4-door?

The short wheelbase of a 2-door makes for a much bumpier ride than the longer 4-door models.
Wat??? My 2-door JL rides just fine. No bumpy ride here.

OP
OP
cdahl383

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn that Nova is GORGEOUS.

Wat??? My 2-door JL rides just fine. No bumpy ride here.
Thanks! Had the Nova since I was 15, it was my first car. Did a lot of work to it over the years!

The one I test drove rode pretty nice, better than I thought it would.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
My best friend in high school had a 1972 Nova, it was gray with black interior. I don't know why, but he had the front end lifted and the steering was so light I nearly lost it the first time I drove it! The touch of a 5 day old kitten would spin the steering wheel!! No joke.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
You got one of the Willys Wranglers? How do you like it?
I love it! I really didnā€™t like the black grill and wheels when I ordered it but itā€™s so beautiful in person. Iā€™ll probably end up changing to a white grill in a few years. So far itā€™s perfect and beautiful. :like:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I love it! I really didnā€™t like the black grill and wheels when I ordered it but itā€™s so beautiful in person. Iā€™ll probably end up changing to a white grill in a few years. So far itā€™s perfect and beautiful. :like:
Still waiting for photos... :)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
purchased my 2020 Rubicon Wednesday. Drives like a dream. Solid and no wander. 50 miles on it now and time to mod. Stubby antenna is coming today!

mmcbeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Excellent point. I have no idea what the tire psi was when I drove that one at the dealership. Like you said, probably way high. When I picked up my Challenger a few years ago the tires were at 45psi and they're supposed to be 32psi cold and maybe 34-36psi hot. Needless to say it rode a lot smoother once I dropped them to where they should be.
You are probably aware but you can check air pressure from the driverā€™s seat on a Wrangler. Just scroll through the info screens and there is one with air pressure on all four wheels. When I got mine home all tires were over 45 pounds but it was over 100 degrees that day. I aired them down to 32. My Wrangler Sport is steady and solid, no steering issues at all. Stock wheels/tires, no lift kit or mods. And in the past I have generally driven pickups so that might alter my perception a bit.
Sponsored