Test drove a Bronco yesterday to feel good about owning a Jeep (pretty much)

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S (on order), 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I, too, like the look of the two-door and their wheel and tire options. But I don’t think the Bronco soft top looks very good.

subashchandran

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am thankful that I am on a wrangler,
- Every time I thread the needle through narrow trails in BC, Canada
- Every time I have re-adjusted my line halfway through the obstacle and still made it work
- Every time I lean up and forward to pick a line and not needing a front trail camera
- Every time I see a tree branch do a number on wide-track pickups in the trail
- Every time a fellow jeeper waves ✌

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I respectfully disagree. I think the competition has been great for the off-road community. While I don’t personally care for the Bronco it has forced Jeep to innovate and improve aspects of the Jeep that don’t take away from its capabilities but instead improve on them.

Want insane horsepower and torque? Get the 392 which arguably only came out because of the Bronco’s release.

Want factory 35s with a lift…ohh and improved brakes and other goodies? Thank the Bronco release again.

I do agree with you that I don’t want Jeep to copy the Bronco. I like it’s quirks and SFA. But I have no issue with Ford pushing Jeep to refine and improve its design and offer more options from the factory.

As it is, many of the design aspects for the new Bronco were taken from Jeep. Aside from the IFS I’m not sure the Jeep community has to worry about the Jeep becoming more like the Bronco when the reverse has already happened.
I don't think Ford made Jeep change through competition. Jeep designed the JL to fit 35" tires from the get-go. That happened before the Bronco. My opinion, the 3.6L competes with the power of the Bronco, they are very similar. The Hemi isn't a response to the 2.7L. Everything that the current JL offers is off-the-shelf and available prior to the Bronco. It's not a response to competition since it all, already, existed.

Sparky1352

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Recon
I think that's wishful thinking. Ford claims that the most traded in vehicle for the Bronco is... a Wrangler.
I call shenanigans on that. Or more specifically, propaganda. Ford saying that the direct competitor to a model they just introduced to the market is the one vehicle traded in more than any other model of vehicle? Seems too convenient for marketing purposes to pass the smell test for me. That sounds like some ignorant garbage a Ford salesman would say while chatting with a potential customer on their lot.

Not that I put too much effort into it, but I'm not able to find a single source supporting that claim. Admittedly, I stopped looking after the 5th page of results on Google.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I was intrigued when they first were revealed, and maybe down the line a 2dr might be fun, but my last 3 wranglers have been tanks and I just love em don't care to drive anything else. Love the rich history of the brand and the community. Even if I won that last crazy mega millions, I would probably just have a fleet of 392's to play with!

Bulletbill

First Name
Bullet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don't think Ford made Jeep change through competition. Jeep designed the JL to fit 35" tires from the get-go. That happened before the Bronco. My opinion, the 3.6L competes with the power of the Bronco, they are very similar. The Hemi isn't a response to the 2.7L. Everything that the current JL offers is off-the-shelf and available prior to the Bronco. It's not a response to competition since it all, already, existed.
I’d agree except the extreme recon package isn’t just 35’s. It’s an extensive package that directly competes with the Sasquatch package offered by Ford.

As for the 392, your right it was entirely unnecessary as the 2.0, the 3.6, and the diesel were more than enough to compete with Fords initial line up until Ford announced the Bronco Raptor.

It’s just seems highly likely that it was Jeeps effort to beat them to the punch of offering an upgraded performance based vehicle.

Now that Ford announced it will be refreshing the Bronco in 2025 it will be interesting to see what else Jeep has up its sleeve. I personally think this is a great time to be an off-road enthusiast as competition breads innovation.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/10/ford-bronco-refresh-planned-for-2025-model-year/amp/

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Bulletbill the ER was all bolt-on though, it doesn't offer anything that wasn't already available or already built into the design of the JL, does it? The JL was designed prior to the Bronco and was already pre-designed for all of those things that people are now saying were in response to the Bronco.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
You
@Bulletbill the ER was all bolt-on though, it doesn't offer anything that wasn't already available or already built into the design of the JL, does it? The JL was designed prior to the Bronco and was already pre-designed for all of those things that people are now saying were in response to the Bronco.
You are both right. Yes, designed and available, but we would still be bolting it on and doing V8 swaps if not for the competition incentive to offer as a factory option.🤔

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I, too, like the look of the two-door and their wheel and tire options. But I don’t think the Bronco soft top looks very good.
Seems the quality is suspect too from multiple reports of high winds stretching it. The bestop option seems solid though.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
A 2 door "baseSquatch" is a great deal on a beast of an off roader.

You can't get a sport with Rubicon XR hardware. But you can in the Bronco. (except for the sway bar disconnect, but that's handled by the aftermarket)

A 2 door stick with the 2.3 moves pretty well. Also the base bronco comes with power windows and locks and AC. 3 items the base Wrangler doesn't include.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@dcmdon , I look at it a little differently, maybe two sides of the same coin, or six of one, half-dozen of the other, different perspectives.

I think Jeep offers all the off road bits on the base model. It's called a Rubicon.

You can "base-squatch" a Bronco and it's a $7385 option (Sasq forces other equipment). The soft top is another $2,500. Or, you can get a base Rubicon which includes much more than the base-squatch, more power, better stereo, etc.

My "base" 2022 Rubicon was $39.8k and had the off road bits and more. So, you can "base-squatch" a Bronco and Ford makes that sound like an incredible way to get all the good stuff on a base model, but it's a base model that costs $40k.

So, the base model Bronco with all the off road bits is the same price as a base model Rubicon. In my mind, if you're going to compare the Bronco and Wrangler, then comparatively speaking, that makes the Rubicon the base model with all the off road bits.

Last edited:

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Architectural Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I loved my JL, but I gotta say I love my Bronco. Neither are perfect, but it’s fun doing this 😁

B547AFCE-5086-4F04-8A6A-3FBBF18FDF08.jpeg
That’s one sweet looking Scout you got there.

3F567DFF-4529-48E9-8B7E-193E1112564B.jpeg

But I’m just not sure it’ll hold up to jumping like that for too long.

Last edited:

WheelsASAP