Sponsored

Test drove a Bronco yesterday to feel good about owning a Jeep (pretty much)

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Thing is, a Toyota Tacoma, or even Ford’s own Ranger, will allow you to do that for a lot less money, a lot less grief, and with a lot fewer issues.
I agree only to an extent. I don't think we can say "with a lot less issues" at this point. Any first model year is going to have hiccups. What will be interesting to me is to see what kinds of issues the 2023s have. By then we should really know a lot.
Sponsored

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Well "market adjustments" are crazy across the board. IMO you really have to go off what the manufacturer is charging, not what dealerships know they can sell it for based on the current hype. It's still the hot new thing, plus supply and demand...
Well I disagree on that. I can get a Wrangler for 4-6% below invoice. Broncos are significantly over sticker. So even if they are priced similarly, the price I would pay is very different.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Well I disagree on that. I can get a Wrangler for 4-6% below invoice. Broncos are significantly over sticker. So even if they are priced similarly, the price I would pay is very different.
I totally get that argument. It will be interesting to see how it all levels out once Broncos are no longer the hot new thing and supply chain issues ease up.

It also depends on location though. Here in AZ, there's no such thing as getting a vehicle below MSRP right now. Rubicons only started showing up on the lots within the last month or so, and a Bronco won't stay on a lot for more than a day. I know thats different than in other parts of the US.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
They are having some serious valve stem keeper problems, with their 6 cylinder engine. I think that the Bronco Raptor my be one to take a look at, when available. It has a different 6 cylinder 3.0 twin turbo engine.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
MSRP on the 2dr Badlands with the V6, Sasquatch, Lux and tow package I have on order is $58k. To build out a 2dr JLR equipped as apples to apples as possible is $60k for a '22 and I still wouldn't have the Xtreme Recon package (Sasquatch equivalent) or the half doors that are a personal requirement of mine to own a Jeep. I have a signed buyer's order for $2k under invoice that was put on by one of the dealers who subsequently got bish slapped by Ford for doing so and their allocations punished which is why I'm still waiting. But, that long wait landed me in a JLR that was available that day with almost everything that I wanted and I doubt now after having grown fond of it that I will ever buy the Bronco when it does finally get built.

Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
They are having some serious valve stem keeper problems, with their 6 cylinder engine. I think that the Bronco Raptor my be one to take a look at, when available. It has a different 6 cylinder 3.0 twin turbo engine.
The 3.0L is just a bored and stroked version of the 2.7L that's having issues. Although, at some point the valve thing was supposed to have been addressed already.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Issue was only with certain 2021s, and was a bad batch of valves from a supplier. Issue has been resolved for new builds, but obviously there are Broncos driving out there with the defect that will continue to experience problems. They know the range of VINs affected.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
The 3.0L is just a bored and stroked version of the 2.7L that's having issues. Although, at some point the valve thing was supposed to have been addressed already.
I hope that it has been addressed, because it sure is getting a bad reputation.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Issue was only with certain 2021s, and was a bad batch of valves from a supplier. Issue has been resolved for new builds, but obviously there are Broncos driving out there with the defect that will continue to experience problems. They know the range of VINs affected.
Thanks for the update…

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Here are some initial observations

3) Infotainment is utter, utter, utter trash on the non Lux-package version. Like zero map/nav/offline capability (I use Gaia on Carplay...it does have Carplay), or any other useful screen info. Only a compass. Which is quite frankly fn trash. Utterly shocking to me that you can get a $65,000+ vehicle version with a Ford Explorer infotainment system from about 10 years ago. Good. Lord.
I'd agree that the head unit that you describe is under-specc'd. for the presumed sticker price of the Bronco that you test drove. That said, it seems in error to dismiss as "trash" a head unit that isn't really configured to serve an infotainment function. To allow a proper critique, it would first have to have the very features (navigation, mapping, etc.) that qualify it as such. Only then could it be fairly compared and contrasted against other units with the same or similar feature set.

I don't hold my Uconnect 3 accountable for not having the same functions as the one with the 8.4" screen.

I have a signed buyer's order for $2k under invoice that was put on by one of the dealers who subsequently got bish slapped by Ford for doing so and their allocations punished which is why I'm still waiting.
Can you flesh that out? As typed, it suggests that a Ford dealer was punished by Dearborn for merely accepting an order for a customer-configured vehicle. That's one of the core responsibilities of an automotive dealership, one of their very raisons d'être.

Sponsored

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
LOL @ "offrodeo"! :)

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Thing is, a Toyota Tacoma, or even Ford’s own Ranger, will allow you to do that for a lot less money, a lot less grief, and with a lot fewer issues.
Right? If I was looking for a Bronco-type vehicle (IFS, body on frame, transfer case etc), it’d definitely be a 4Runner. All the comfort/refinement, better quality, infinitely better reliability.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Can you flesh that out? As typed, it suggests that a Ford dealer was punished by Dearborn for merely accepting an order for a customer-configured vehicle. That's one of the core responsibilities of an automotive dealership, one of their very raisons d'être.
Hoo buddy, it's been a ride on that front. Initially, allocations were directly tied to reservations that were converted to orders. So, a handful of savvy, smaller dealers jumped onto the forums and offered deals on the new Bronco generally ranging from $1-2k under invoice to secure more reservations with their dealerships while the vast majority were at MSRP, at best, or ADM. And they got an insane number of reservations. Shortly, before production started there were rumblings that some of the larger dealership groups convinced Ford to change the allocation formula due to this. They didn't think it was fair to compete apparently. Even tho what they, the small dealers, had done was kosher with the rules in place at the time. It was basically confirmed by Ford's talking head on Twitter, Mike Levine, in a snarky tweet. There have been at least two more known tweaks to the allocation formula in the year and a half since. Each time, it's been slid to be more in favor of the massive, city based chains and away from those smaller dealers. It's to the point where the reservation system is basically pointless and broken. You can walk into a major chain, pay way more than MSRP for an order, and get your Bronco months and in some cases years before some of us will ever see our reserved one.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
That kickstand feature on the rear window is also why the rear soft top windows look horrible. There is at least one mod that reduces the wrinkles but still not great.

I just am baffled that in Ford's eyes the tradeoff of the soft top looking like shit 24/7 did not outweigh the possible added convenience of the soft top kickstand. Nobody I know with a JL soft top complains about it being hard to get at their stuff.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I think that's wishful thinking. Ford claims that the most traded in vehicle for the Bronco is... a Wrangler.

The offroad community grew across the board, to include Toyotas and smaller crossover type of vehicles that claim any offroad worthiness. Either way, I see a lot of Jeep owners saying that the Bronco isn't a true competitor. I don't think Jeep agrees. Bronco comes out with sasquatch, now you can suddenly get the XR package. Bronco has the Everglades, now a snorkel is an option from Jeep. The competition has already paid off for consumers.

Best thing about the Bronco is this, it keeps Jeep from being stagnant as the only option besides a lame 4runner on a decade old platform. I also doubt we'd have seen them scrambling to put out the 392 or willing to offer 35s, beadlocks, and 4.56/4.88s straight from the factory on even the Willys.

I don't think you can really fault your average mall crawler / stock Jeep owner or leaser to want to trade over and try the shiny new entry with loads of marketing hype behind it. You can't really claim "WRANGLER IS DOOMED" and "WRANGLER OWNERS SCRAMBLE TO TRADE IN FOR NEW FORD BRONCO" until everything stabilizes a bit and the products have time to mature - we've seen good numbers from both sides indicating the Bronco only strenghened the sport 4x4 segment's popularity overall. The bronco definitely looks badass from the outside (although I think their sport/sahara-type models look like absolute garbage on those skinny road tires), and it's enough for people to want to give it a shot.
Sponsored