Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck debuts tonight. Anyone been following?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
But now it’s all or nothing; everyone’s a xenophobic, racist, gun-toting climate change denier, or a brainwashed tree-hugging liberal living in a bubble.
It is a shame that this is what our country has devolved into. As Americans we should be able to disagree in a civil debate. Those days are gone.

Here’s to you my hippy liberal fellow American. From your Bible and gun clinging right wing countryman.

:beer::beer::beer:
Sponsored

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
My cousin has a Model X and he put a deposit down on the CyberTruck. My issue with EV's is all these charging stations are running off coal powered power plants for the most part so you aren't really benefiting the environment by driving one.
Depends on the region you live in. Top states for "green" car registrations, (March '18), all but four of the top 11 in the west, where coal power plants are rare:

11. Colorado
10. Arizona
7. Utah
4. Hawaii
3. Oregon
2. Washington
1. California

Even with coal, an EV is still competitive with gas or diesel. There are production, transport, storage, and cleanup costs for fossil fuels that people tend to forget when complaining about coal-produced electricity. If you have solar panels like we do, your home and vehicle energy costs approach zero.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Not a fan of the Cybertruck, but kudos for going the complete opposite way of what every other truck looks like. Looks like they modeled it after the F117 fighter jet.

RatherDashing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Depends on the region you live in. Top states for "green" car registrations, (March '18), all but four of the top 11 in the west, where coal power plants are rare:

11. Colorado
10. Arizona
7. Utah
4. Hawaii
3. Oregon
2. Washington
1. California

Even with coal, an EV is still competitive with gas or diesel. There are production, transport, storage, and cleanup costs for fossil fuels that people tend to forget when complaining about coal-produced electricity. If you have solar panels like we do, your home and vehicle energy costs approach zero.
What about the pollution to manufacture the vehicle? Ev's have a ton more heavy metals (batteries) and the process is much more polluting than other cars.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
What about the pollution to manufacture the vehicle? Ev's have a ton more heavy metals (batteries) and the process is much more polluting than other cars.
Yes, that is definitely a concern. The technology and efficiency will improve over time, much like that of the ICE. For example, modern ICEs produce 1% of the air pollution of U.S. engines from the 1960s. Improvements have been gradual but steady. I'm hoping that the same will be true of BEVs, such as the development of sodium ion batteries. Also, BEV batteries can be repurposed (instituteforenergyresearch.org):

"As these advanced technology processes continue to develop, reusing batteries offers another route to their disposal and productivity. Many electric vehicle batteries which are ‘spent’ still have up to 70 percent of their capacity left– more than enough for other uses. After used electric vehicle batteries have been broken down, tested, and re-packaged, they can be used for things like home energy storage."

Sponsored

GunMah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It is a shame that this is what our country has devolved into. As Americans we should be able to disagree in a civil debate. Those days are gone.

Here’s to you my hippy liberal fellow American. From your Bible and gun clinging right wing countryman.

:beer::beer::beer:
I elect to self identify as a gun-toting, hippie liberal, climate change denier on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and occasionally for afternoon tea on Saturday. All other times I choose to maintain my identity as Lothar OTHP and will only acknowledge those who identify as my subjects.

See you all at tea!

GunMah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
My cousin has a Model X and he put a deposit down on the CyberTruck. My issue with EV's is all these charging stations are running off coal powered power plants for the most part so you aren't really benefiting the environment by driving one.
Buying a Tesla is not just about saving the planet. It's not a Prius. It is sexy to some people. It has a high-tech minimalist aesthetic. It is fun to drive with unbelievable instant torque. It has a sophisticated attitude and status. You wake up every morning with a full tank and you save on gas. In some places you get to drive in the HOV lane. It is aspirational in having a positive environmental impact, even if the reality is not that clear cut. The same way someone driving a Jeep is aspirational to an adventurous lifestyle.

It seems like peoples' attitude towards EVs is 10 years out of date.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
The problem is that your statement is not completely true....currently 30% of electricity in the USA is still produced by coal and is being phased out by natural gas (another 30% supplier) which is much cleaner and sustainable. Here in Iowa, MidAmerican energy has invested heavily in wind power (12 billion dollars in the last decade) and will supply 40% of the energy in 2020. Much like anything else on social media....don't beleive every Meme that you read.
It takes time to build infrastructure and change the hearts and minds of the consumer. I think that Tesla has done a decent job of that (even if their truck looks like it fell out of the ugly tree).

Doc

Sponsored

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
We're getting to a point where the infrastructure and efficiency gains from decades of R&D have overcome those claims. Its hard to calculate for certain the sum total benefit/cost to the planet in a holistic manner, but here's one opinion from Engineering Explained. He has an excellent channel.

Just to clarify, I agree with the entire video. I posted the Wikipedia link in response to another post that suggested EV production was significantly more harmful to the environment due to mining of heavy earth metals. Specifically, I posted it for the ‘Environmental Impact of manufacturing’ section. I believe the Wikipedia article is fair and objective (in this case, at least), and answers his question better than I would have on the forum.

There is some truth to the claim, but over the life of the vehicles, EVs are unequivocally less harmful. And as you said, also less harmful as R&D continues.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Buying a Tesla is not just about saving the planet. It's not a Prius. It is sexy to some people. It has a high-tech minimalist aesthetic. It is fun to drive with unbelievable instant torque. It has a sophisticated attitude and status. You wake up every morning with a full tank and you save on gas. In some places you get to drive in the HOV lane. It is aspirational in having a positive environmental impact, even if the reality is not that clear cut. The same way someone driving a Jeep is aspirational to an adventurous lifestyle.

It seems like peoples' attitude towards EVs is 10 years out of date.
I'm aware. I love his model X and all Tesla's for the Tech. I also feel like Tesla has played a huge role in establishing the infrastructure to move away from fossil fuels.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
So real question, where could I go with 250 miles? Anywhere worth going around here is over 250 miles.
Where can you go with a 250 mile range? Almost as far as my 2 door JL, which has a 275 mile range according to the Jeeps computer when I fill it up. And that range seems fairly accurate. But right now there are more gas stations that charging stations, although that may change over a decade or so.
Sponsored