Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck debuts tonight. Anyone been following?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I respect Musk's overall contributions and people's right to love Tesla products. But throwing an object at a door window at a production release, and that window shattering is all kinds of wrong IMHO for the following reasons:
  • Showcasing the toughness of the rig, even if in preproduction, and not confirming that a blow to that window twice as hard as that demonstrated has little more effect than a bug hitting the windshield shows me a tendency to not test and make exaggerated claims.
  • Demonstrating the toughness of windows that are suppose to be designed to shatter (at least in the States) into lots of non-jagged pieces to facilitate rescue crews gaining access to occupants after an accident is wrong even if they resist the blows demonstrated, to a far greater extent than they did.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I’m frankly amazed that anyone would buy a vehicle that isn’t even produced yet, that isn’t going to be the final product, that doesn’t have a final price, that doesn’t have final specs. But sure - a fool and their money.
Sounds scarily similar to what happened to the Tucker '48...

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
they are both ugly. i like the s type. however, i rather hear a gas (or a diesel) motor running vs a electric motor whining.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Nope! Gladiator or Rivian. Not sure what the hell Elon was thinking.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Can you imagine what would have happened if Jeep had done a launch like that and threw a tiny pebble at the front windshield?
Lol! I just noticed this morning windshield #2 has a chip.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Time to start planning all the Overland builds....

Tesla-7.jpg

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Something like this would not be too bad at all. In fact, if you could build something like this with the 0-60 times reported, and a 500 mile range it could be a game changer in the off-road world for events like a Baja rally. Not sure about KOH, but this would be a beat in desert running depending on how the cog works I know this is a quick (rather poor) render, but when configured like this it actually looks pretty good.
AAEFBE5B-AAC6-4302-B4E9-AB3CA175C17C.jpeg

Last edited:

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
It's just plain hideous. Reminds me of a dystopian bland horrible future that liberals dream of. Where everything is city life and "efficient" to use their term. Everything looks the same and is just........well bland. That's the vibe I get from the Tesla "truck". Dystopian is the perfect word for the feeling I get when I look at it.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team

Sponsored

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Aside from preference for the bizarre design, why would someone order this over a Rivian? Because Tesla’s already established and well-known?

I’m not a fan of EV aesthetics and dislike the DRLs on the Rivian, but if it were available when I ordered the JL, and there were more chargers in the remote locations we’d need it, I would have ordered it instead. Yeah, I’m concerned for the environment and want to limit my footprint when I can. I enjoy the outdoors, and hope future generations will get to enjoy it as well. Not long ago that would have been a nonpartisan, non-controversial position, and wish it were the case today. But now it’s all or nothing; everyone’s a xenophobic, racist, gun-toting climate change denier, or a brainwashed tree-hugging liberal living in a bubble.

Anyway, this is no place for that shit. But I’d love to see an EV that was reasonably capable, functional, and didn’t look like it was transported from Elon Musk’s bizarre cyberpunk fantasy. No glass roof, electric trunks/“frunks”, carpet or luxury materials. Basically an all-electric Wrangler/Gladiator that’s somehow efficient enough to pull off a 400 mile range while carrying a bunch of camping and climbing gear. Could also use that extra storage

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
My cousin has a Model X and he put a deposit down on the CyberTruck. My issue with EV's is all these charging stations are running off coal powered power plants for the most part so you aren't really benefiting the environment by driving one.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
My cousin has a Model X and he put a deposit down on the CyberTruck. My issue with EV's is all these charging stations are running off coal powered power plants for the most part so you aren't really benefiting the environment by driving one.
This whole drive electric/hybrid thing is a joke. I see plenty of hybrid/EV drivers on the road, with a cigarette out the window. They have no problem polluting by smoking or flicking their butts out the window on to the streets.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
A few things:
1) I read up on the windows shattering. Couple of hypotheses floating around. One was that they had done the same thing before the reveal, which had created microfractures in the glass. Apparently it had worked earlier but not during the event. To be safe they should have replaced the glass before the live event. There's also a good physics writeup about the drop vs. the projectile tests:

https://www.wired.com/story/a-physics-analysis-of-teslas-shattered-cybertruck-windows/

2) At first glance I was like WTF, but after looking at the pics and specs it's kinda growing on me (like a fungus?). Definitely not for everyone, but also definitely unlike any other truck. My dad's got a '63 Ranchero, which is not a "traditional" truck either so maybe it runs in the family. Same $$ and specs, I think I'd still lean towards the Rivian however.

3) I'm not an eco-weenie, but I am a pragmatist. Gas is killing our family of four drivers ($1100 last month alone), so we picked up a '17 Chevy Volt last weekend. With our home solar we will more than make up the car payment in gas and maintenance savimgs. At least here in Commiefornia, the land of the $4+ gas, it makes sense for companies to go PHEV/BEV and I look forward to more/better/cheaper future options.
Sponsored