Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck debuts tonight. Anyone been following?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I’m frankly amazed that anyone would buy a vehicle that isn’t even produced yet, that isn’t going to be the final product, that doesn’t have a final price, that doesn’t have final specs. But sure - a fool and their money.
Frankly $100 refundable is actually not that big of a deal to “place an order” so to speak. I’m doing it out of curiosity. I think most people who have are completely aware of the risks.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
i wouldn’t necessarily say i like Elon Musk. But i like that there is an Elon Musk.

but something about unveiling a concept vehicle and inviting people to place orders rubs me wrong. There is just no way that a vehicle that looks like that can be sold to drive on US roads. Shouldn’t they have to have something that passes the definition of a passenger truck before they can sell it as one?

Lots of manufacturers take concept vehicles to these shows. But they don’t take orders for them.

For contrast Jeep was already building the JL in the factory when they unveiled it.
US is actually pretty laxed compared to other parts of the world. Just look at the export Jeeps.
If they do something like the Bollinger B1/B2, and only build them to Class 3 US Truck specifications, I don't think there will be too many hurdles.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If it's anything like their cars (TFL did a towing test with a tesla) expect a third to a quarter of that range. 100% useless.
That’s what I figured. So towing say 7,500 lbs would put a base battery range at only 60-80 miles? Yikes. Not much to brag about there

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I am still amazed at the people who pre-order something that's not even in production :swear:

42f3c297041f68df59c1a3643da43f85.jpg

Sponsored

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is what I'm more interested in. A nationwide charging infrastructure. Even a 500-mile range electric vehicle is still limited by half that if there are no charging stations beyond that distance. Likewise, until its just as fast and convenient to recharge a vehicle as it is to fuel up a gas guzzler, electric vehicles will remain a fad instead of a true evolution.
Take a look at

https://www.tesla.com/findus?bounds...tore,service,supercharger,destination charger

You can go almost anywhere in the USA and parts of Canada with zero worries. (Most of Western Europe, too). As for convenience, in my experience that’s not much of a problem, either. I drive for 3 or 4 hours and then pull into a Supercharger for 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. In most cases, there is a restaurant nearby to grab a bite and freshen up. In a gas guzzler I would have stopped for almost that long anyway. Yeah, if you really want to drive from LA to NY in cannonball rally mode the Tesla will not win. But it real life, it’s actually just fine. IMHO YMMV

(Newer Teslas than mine charge faster but I doubt that really changes much for me.)

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hey I just found out you have to sign in / create an account on Tesla.
After you sign in you will see your configured truck and pre-order info.
There's even a link there to change your configuration or even cancel your pre-order.
So, no worries!

:rock::rock::rock:
I placed two orders, one for the dual motor version and one for the tri-motor version. I got an email confirmation for the first one yesterday (late) and a confirmation for the second one this afternoon. I guess their ordering system is busy :)

Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if your joking or not. You don't actually think the production truck will look like this, perform like advertised, or cost what's advertised do you?
But I hope it doesn’t look like this. The $100 refundable deposit is just to hold my spot in line in case I end up loving it in 3 years. I like Tesla’s and plan on a truck in the future so I am just taking a spot in line it case it’s got a large back order. My biggest worry with the looks is looking like a duche pulling up to my favorite fishing holes and camping spots.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
US is actually pretty laxed compared to other parts of the world. Just look at the export Jeeps.
If they do something like the Bollinger B1/B2, and only build them to Class 3 US Truck specifications, I don't think there will be too many hurdles.
Class 3? Tesla isn’t supposed to be making niche vehicles. They are supposed to be making mass-market vehicles. And this thing is clearly being compared to an F-150 and is priced in traditional truck range.

If Elon wants to get edgy he should do it in the performance car category.

If i was an investor i would be pissed. And they are. Shares dropped 6%. And Ford increased 2%.

I like Tesla and i would love to live in a world where all kinds of unique and striking vehicles shared the road. But conceding the full size truck market to rivals is just dumb.

Last edited:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Posted same over at the Gladiator forum since it's a pickup but there may be some here that have been following its news/rumors like me since this is supposed to be a rugged heavy duty truck.

Anyone been following the Tesla Cybertruck? Reveal is tonight. There's going to be a stream here:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/f...s/cybertruck-reveal-virtual-viewing-party.21/

And a leaked image today of the rear of it. Looks like solid rear axle which makes sense since this is supposed to be heavy duty.

https://www.cybrtrkownersclub.com/forum/index.php?threads/tesla-cybertruck-leaked-first-look.41/

This may end up too futuristic looking for some buyers but since it's an EV and it's Tesla, it'll probably introduce some never before seen tech and features in a pickup. Worth following at least IMO. Competition is good.

Oh and it's supposed to be amphibious! :surprised:
Couldn't help but see it on the Evening News. They tested the Shatterproof windows live. Threw a metal ball at the driver side. it shattered. Elon said to try the back window and the same thing. Shattered glass !! Elon said that wasn't supposed to happen. :CWL: The Bed cover moved under roof and they drove little 4 wheeler up a ramp to bed. :jk::flag:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Transpo_TechinTwo_AP_19326175844301.jpg
:clap: