Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck debuts tonight. Anyone been following?

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm reading a lot of rumors that this was just a stunt to throw off rival Rivian...and the actual product will more resemble the original concept in post #5.
I wouldn’t mind if looks changed and specs stayed the same.
Sponsored

apb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLR; 2019 Bikini Sahara JLU (wife's)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm reading a lot of rumors that this was just a stunt to throw off rival Rivian...and the actual product will more resemble the original concept in post #5.
It has to be, right? I feel like Elon is trolling everyone, I mean LOOK at that thing. And the 'unbreakable' windows breaking so easily? Seriously, this has to be a big joke premier.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I did some Operating Costs (Gas/Charging, Brakes, Oil Changes, Insurance) at 30K miles and 60K miles for Wrangler Eco Diesel and the Tesla CyberTruck.

Wrangler. Tesla
30K:. $8.9K. $1.9K
60K:. $9.2K. $1.9K

I made an assumption of going with Tesla car insurance since it will be 30% cheaper than regular car insurance. And I assumed that the Wrangler Diesel and the CyberTruck were the same cost but have no bearing on the Operating Costs.

I drive approximately 15K miles per year, do the Operating Costs for the Diesel is $380 per month vs $80 per month for the CyberTruck. This is a rough EA, but it does have me thinking if I am committing financial suicide.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I’d assume 500 miles is unloaded. What is the range while towing 14k lbs?
If it's anything like their cars (TFL did a towing test with a tesla) expect a third to a quarter of that range. 100% useless.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered one also. 500 mile range, 14k tow capacity, same bed size as f150, adjustable ride height up to 14”, 0-60 in under 3 - that’s awesome. The comparable f250 is way more expensive plus they don’t drive themselves... I compare f250 because a 150 doesn’t have a tow capacity of 14k. Are the looks strange? Yes I agree but I also like it and the specs are great. So much better than a gladiator. With my JL and a Cybertruck in 3 years I will be rockin.
1F91C36D-9BF5-4FE1-9EAA-2408ED493E97.jpeg

But to take money from consumers for it... doesn’t that take it a bit too far?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
More reasonably: by the time the CyberTruck is actually in production (at least 2 years from now) there will almost certainly be a lot more EV charging spots. There are already several dozen in BC. Right now long out of the way trips can take a little planning but it’s rapidly getting easier.
This is what I'm more interested in. A nationwide charging infrastructure. Even a 500-mile range electric vehicle is still limited by half that if there are no charging stations beyond that distance. Likewise, until its just as fast and convenient to recharge a vehicle as it is to fuel up a gas guzzler, electric vehicles will remain a fad instead of a true evolution.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Well, after ordering.
You just get an order number.
No email, no receipt, no confirmation, no nothing.
My credit card is charged.
Might have been cybertrolled.

Cyberlol (owl - this is the image you are met with after placing an order. A cyber-owl)

7DBD55DA-D9DB-447E-A993-3B35BDAAEF44.jpeg

Last edited:

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well, after ordering.

Cyberlol (owl - this is the image you are met with after placing an order. A cyber-owl)
Same here....
I pre-ordered the two motor / AWD with autopilot option and received no confirmation email.
But, I did get an order confirmation number.
I think there will definitely be some refinements made when it is ready for production. A lot of the finer details were not shown.

From the pre-order agreement:
"Pre-Order Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The pre-order price of the Vehicle will be confirmed in your Vehicle Configuration and Final Price Sheet. As you may have only configured part of your Vehicle, any pre-order price provided to you in advance of the Final Price Sheet is only being offered to you as an estimate and is subject to change."
So, it may very well change in price and final configuration. This is just the first look and estimated price.

There will be series of other presentations made about the tech and the batteries soon.
I have faith in Tesla as my friend has purchased a model 3 and he loves it.

If it all holds true, I may have to trade in the Jeep for this. I love the cyber military look of the truck.
It looks like something from the Halo game on the xbox.

I'm excited and can't wait until the real production vehicle.

Sponsored

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, after ordering.

7DBD55DA-D9DB-447E-A993-3B35BDAAEF44.jpeg

Hey I just found out you have to sign in / create an account on Tesla.
After you sign in you will see your configured truck and pre-order info.
There's even a link there to change your configuration or even cancel your pre-order.
So, no worries!

:rock::rock::rock:

Reactions: RTJ

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey I just found out you have to sign in / create an account on Tesla.
After you sign in you will see your configured truck and pre-order info.
There's even a link there to change your configuration or even cancel your pre-order.
So, no worries!

:rock::rock::rock:
Alright! Back in the game!

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’m frankly amazed that anyone would buy a vehicle that isn’t even produced yet, that isn’t going to be the final product, that doesn’t have a final price, that doesn’t have final specs. But sure - a fool and their money.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Ethically, I'd say so.....but considering the rumor mill about Elon's private & professional life, I'm not sure ethics rank very high with him anyway.
i wouldn’t necessarily say i like Elon Musk. But i like that there is an Elon Musk.

but something about unveiling a concept vehicle and inviting people to place orders rubs me wrong. There is just no way that a vehicle that looks like that can be sold to drive on US roads. Shouldn’t they have to have something that passes the definition of a passenger truck before they can sell it as one?

Lots of manufacturers take concept vehicles to these shows. But they don’t take orders for them.

For contrast Jeep was already building the JL in the factory when they unveiled it.

maxmxa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m frankly amazed that anyone would buy a vehicle that isn’t even produced yet, that isn’t going to be the final product, that doesn’t have a final price, that doesn’t have final specs. But sure - a fool and their money.
You'd have to pre-order if you want one.
The last time I checked this morning there were over 200,000 pre-orders in one day.
There will be a long waiting list just like the Tesla cars in the beginning.
So, there is not much to lose and nothing to risk. You can change your mind anytime all the way up to when the final configuration and price is sent to you to finalize the purchase.
Sponsored