Sponsored

Tesla Cybertruck debuts tonight. Anyone been following?

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I am NOT a fan of Tesla's car. However, I would consider this as a pickup for odd projects...well....because it is odd. Priced same as some other trucks and the built in ramp is cool. Now, if they only threw in the ATV.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What kind of angers me is this is a concept car. I’m no expert but even i can tell this is not street legal. They didn’t even really pretend to unveil a real truck. And then they started taking orders for it.

Plus the whole production was really euro gay or something. If SNL did a parody of it, it would be exactly like the real thing.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Found some video of the unveiling.

Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it IS unusual looking but isn’t that the point? I like it. Ordered one but the website crashed because of “too many requests”. Ordered again. Now the long wait begins. Fortunately I have a JL to enjoy in the meantime.
I ordered one also. 500 mile range, 14k tow capacity, same bed size as f150, adjustable ride height up to 14”, 0-60 in under 3 - that’s awesome. The comparable f250 is way more expensive plus they don’t drive themselves... I compare f250 because a 150 doesn’t have a tow capacity of 14k. Are the looks strange? Yes I agree but I also like it and the specs are great. So much better than a gladiator. With my JL and a Cybertruck in 3 years I will be rockin.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I ordered one also. 500 mile range, 14k tow capacity, same bed size as f150, adjustable ride height up to 14”, 0-60 in under 3 - that’s awesome. The comparable f250 is way more expensive plus they don’t drive themselves... I compare f250 because a 150 doesn’t have a tow capacity of 14k. Are the looks strange? Yes I agree but I also like it and the specs are great. So much better than a gladiator. With my JL and a Cybertruck in 3 years I will be rockin.
I'm not sure if your joking or not. You don't actually think the production truck will look like this, perform like advertised, or cost what's advertised do you?

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
ugliest thing I've seen in a long time. I like their sedans, the SUV is lame IMO, and this is just plain ugly. Looks like some origami experiment.
Specs are impressive, but the packaging sucks. Looks like something out of an 80es cheap B-movie SciFi flick made in Italy on a frayed shoestring budget. Silver sprayed cardboard around something on wheels.

I'm sure some people will like it, I'd rather walk. SMH. Just bizarre.

Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if your joking or not. You don't actually think the production truck will look like this, perform like advertised, or cost what's advertised do you?
Why not? I don’t have experience with Tesla.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
He's been keeping that design on the back-burner for many years... ;)

Elon-age-4.jpg

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Why not? I don’t have experience with Tesla.
It's unrealistic is why. There are many regulations specifying height and positioning of lights, mirrors, crumple zones, pedestrian safety and so much more. The design would need serious reworking to be brought into compliance.

The specs are exaggerated, 3500lb payload requires serious axles, suspension, and tires. 14,000 towing is normally 5th wheel or gooseneck. You need a massive class 5 receiver to bumper pull that much. A small low drag model 3 needs 100kwh for 300 miles, then this huge beast would need near a million kwh to hit a 500 mile range.

Finally, price. If they could offer all this for $40k, then the model 3 should only be $20k. It's no secret they have not been able to offer the 3 for even $35,000, so no way they hit the $40k target with this truck.

The whole "release" is a sham and a flat out lie to everyone. A disgrace