Sponsored

Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I think I've assembled and disassembled this thing more than anyone on this forum thus far. Maybe 8 or 9 times as I kept trying to change things on it, testing fit and feel, look of things, etc. I screwed up painting the thing with rattle can spray paint (I'm not much of a painter) and I decided I didn't want to deal with it and ordered another one. So there's my 9th or 10th attempt at assembly. I've now got it down to about 3-5 minutes to open and shut this thing, but I have to say that putting the two halves together annoys me each and every time.

Haven't followed every post in this thread but I read a defensive post or two on here. While I do think that some people could use a quick beer break if you've been trying to put the two halves together for over half an hour, I think we also have to beware falling into the trap of essentially "victim blaming," or blaming the consumer for poor design. For example, if someone were to go to a restaurant and eat, they shouldn't get blamed for contracting food poisoning, the cook should. Samsung is getting criticized for screens breaking on its new folding phone, and that's the right response. Buyers shouldn't be blamed because they were stupid enough to purchase an Android platform product instead of getting an iPhone like the rest of us. (I'm kidding!) "Criticism is a powerful force for good. Nothing improves without coming to terms with its flaws."

I personally don't care about the finish or the texture, and I bought a second key for a reason: it's comfortable and looks good. That said, the battery and assembly really needs to be addressed in a future version 2 in my personal opinion. I might not have gone through all this had I known how much of a pain it was going to be, I may have just gotten a leather fob cover to stop the blasted key from springing out all the damn time. I don't know. I'd be on the fence, I think.

Final score: 6.85 out of 10.

P.S.: If anyone wants one of these for cheaper, I'll sell you my old one for $25 shipped. We all know it's $37.99 new + $4.00 for the extra buttons. Will come with all unused brand new keys from the new set I just purchased (the old spare keys were all destroyed during experimentation in case you're curious). It looks worse in person than it does in photos, but good option if you were going to custom paint yours anyways. Hit it with a bit of fine grit sandpaper, elbow grease, and some better rattle can paint than what I used.

IMG_6599.JPG
What is the clear container on the right for? I saw a few pages back where a guy just shoved the guts into something like that. Is that what you're using it for?
Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
What is the clear container on the right for? I saw a few pages back where a guy just shoved the guts into something like that. Is that what you're using it for?
That comes with the AJT fob, it's a water resistant enclosure/gasket to protect the circuit board. I'm assuming it saved my circuit board when my fog went through a complete washing machine cycle last Friday night.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
That comes with the AJT fob, it's a water resistant enclosure/gasket to protect the circuit board. I'm assuming it saved my circuit board when my fog went through a complete washing machine cycle last Friday night.
Do all the guts fit into it? I might order that fob just for the that case. I have the keyless entry/start, so I don't need to ever take it out of my wallet.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Do all the guts fit into it? I might order that fob just for the that case. I have the keyless entry/start, so I don't need to ever take it out of my wallet.

@Rhinebeck01 was first to post this video link

From looking around the AJT website, I determined the Toyota owners are just as much addicts as the Jeep owners when it comes to modding their vehicles.

LateBraking

First Name
Y'all a cult.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Transponder sits in the plastic housing, rest of the key sits inside the clear rubber housing. Rubber housing isn't fully sealed, the button half sits inside of it and the battery half sits against the plastic case and is exposed. The case is not waterproof, I'd say water resistant to some water from the button side but definitely don't get any water in it along the edges. Dropping it in a sink would be game over, I reckon.

Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
I do like this fob for the most part. Smaller than oem but sweet baby Jesus....that battery design. I am your average idiot and I cant imagine designing something that frustrating to close. Without a flat head screw driver it must take forever. Other than that, rubber buttons would be nice. The transponder is a challenge too, but that is not ajt's fault at all.

7 out of 10 so far.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I got it. Takes FOREVER with lots of swearing. The video doesn’t help.

Anyway, it matches my Benchmade and my Granite Crystal Rubi. Yay. I hope the battery outlives me because I never want to do that, again.

Edit: Removing the “not glued in” chip is impossible to do without causing minor damage to the original key. In the video you can see he even cuts the plastic. No biggie. The AJT fob’s plastic also doesn’t feel as good quality as the Jeep fob’s did. Lastly, the fob is still huge.

Conclusion: not as good an “upgrade” as I was hoping for, but at least the flip out key won’t stab me in the leg anymore and it looks cool.

79C765CF-9035-41A4-A496-0EA9A004D2E6.jpeg

With GMC fob for scale:

A36F794A-52A6-48CB-BA40-2962FA66151B.jpeg
Update: 53 weeks later, I just spent 25 minutes putting my factory key back together. I was never happy with the cheap feel of the AJT key, and on the few occasions where I needed to lock my center console I found it to be an annoyance.

Nice idea, but the factory fob is nicer and only a tiny bit bigger. Also, the battery is a piece of cake to change in the factory fob.

If you’re considering switching just to get around the flip key deploying in your pocket there is a much better solution for that: either unwind the spring by a rotation, or just take the spring out.

Last edited:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Play the mine tried that same thing hated it went back to the stock one you cannot beat the stock one it's very solid

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the AJT and would not go back to stock. Takes me all of 5 seconds longer to lock the console and glove box.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Glad you guys can be honest that you don’t like it and prefer the OEM. I almost pulled the trigger on these but first reports of how difficult it was to change the key over made me hesitate. If the biggest issue it accidental deployment of the key, a simple silicone cover both protects the fob and makes accidental deployment rare. I’ve got this one (or it’s exact duplicate) off of eBay for a few $ and have been completely satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/Alegender-Sl...ey+fob+cover&qid=1588212161&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you guys can be honest that you don’t like it and prefer the OEM. I almost pulled the trigger on these but first reports of how difficult it was to change the key over made me hesitate. If the biggest issue it accidental deployment of the key, a simple silicone cover both protects the fob and makes accidental deployment rare. I’ve got this one (or it’s exact duplicate) off of eBay for a few $ and have been completely satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/Alegender-Slilicone-4-Buttons-Protector-68292944AA/dp/B07LBBZ9SB/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=jeep+wrangler+key+fob+cover&qid=1588212161&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1
I purchased the same and they work great.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)

https://www.amazon.com/Alegender-Slilicone-4-Buttons-Protector-68292944AA/dp/B07LBBZ9SB/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=jeep+wrangler+key+fob+cover&qid=1588212161&sr=8-5&th=1&psc=1

Can you flip the key out with this rubber cover?

NickelPickle

First Name
Nicolette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy’s
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine today. A little tricky and the video doesn't help at all as it is for a Tacoma and nothing like our JL but really any common sense will get it done.

HOWEVER I do not know how to remove the end of the key. Not sure if there is an allen set screw, I need to grind it off etc.

See pic

Jeep Wrangler JL Terrific Aftermarket Fob I came across 5F9790B0-00D6-4909-A28A-7067D7C239D8
I ended up keeping it together like this and sticking it on my key ring. I have a bolt hood lock and locking cap because the area I live in is not the safest. This allowed me to get rid of the OEM fob and get the AJT but still be able to use the actual key with ease.
Sponsored